So I had a vasectomy yesterday

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Honest opinion here, I was nervous as heck about getting one and really wanted to avoid it if at all possible but looking back now it really was not a big deal. The worst part was when you are on the table and having it done, there are 2 moments where you get a sharp pain that shoots up through your body and you can figure out why that is on your own I'm sure. Recovery wasn't bad, bag of frozen peas several times a day and some Tylenol. I was a little worried about possibly having an infection as I had a friend that got infection after his and said it was the worst pain he has ever had. I had mine done on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. For about a week I had some level of soreness but I think that is because I do a lot of walking during the day for my job and all the extra moving around probably irritated it. First 2 or 3 days back at work I got the bag of peas out when I got home to ice down. I did go on some antibiotics about mid week because my incision site was still a little raw and oozing so they wanted to make sure it didn't get infected but I think about 7-10 days after I had the operation had no pain at all.

One thing I highly recommend when you do it is wear compression shorts for about a week or 2. Trust me you will notice a difference if you don't and it really helps out with the healing process. Be diligent with icing for the first 2 days too. I had hoped to avoid the operation as my wife and I knew we were stopping at 2 and she had already had a C-section for our 1st kid so our plan was to have her tubes tied when they delivered our 2nd child. Well we found out that Mercy changed its policy about that since they are a Catholic hospital and you had to meet a certain criteria for them to do that. Our OB doesn't deliver at Methodist who doesn't have the same policy so I just had to bite the bullet. So that is another thing to think about if you think your wife getting tubes tied is an option because if you deliver at Mercy they likely won't allow it so she would have to have a 2nd procedure at another hospital later which really isn't practical because your recovery time compared to hers for an operation is much longer and more painful.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Mine was a piece of cake. Back at work next day.

However, 90 percent of vasectomy stories your hear reference a piece of fruit at some point. Oranges, grapefruit, etc.

Just saying.
People are more likely to share negative experiences than positive ones. 10/10 people who had issues will tell you about it. 1/100 people who had no issues will tell you about it.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I went through this in November...and honestly this is the first week I haven't noticed any discomfort or pain since having the procedure! Nothing terrible but constant something...slight discomfort. I followed all the aftercare suggestions but it has taken a long time for me to feel things are "normal" down there again. Hope I am over that part of the procedure...annoying to have that odd sensitive sensation and hoping it would go away!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Do have to go back to the doc later to provide a sample? That’s seems weird to me, not sure I’d be ok doing that

Yep...I do after 8 weeks and 12 weeks..."failed" my first sample test! Nothing live but still some of the things present that weren't supposed to be...

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Do have to go back to the doc later to provide a sample? That’s seems weird to me, not sure I’d be ok doing that

Knew a guy who said "screw it" to going back for his follow-ups. A year or 2 later, his wife is pregnant and he's throwing all of her things out of the house because he's sure she cheated on him. Finally calmed down, gave a sample to be tested, and he was shooting live rounds.

So in addition to getting another kid, he had to tread lightly around the wife for a good while.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
My balls swelled up for quite s while, very black and blue and painful.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Interesting read, guys. Some of you are very thoughtful!

The feminine perspective: a "stand-alone" tubal ligation (ie: not done in conjunction with a C-section) involves a lot more discomfort and recovery time than a vasectomy does. If you love your partner, man up. Your boys will survive. :)

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I went through this in November...and honestly this is the first week I haven't noticed any discomfort or pain since having the procedure! Nothing terrible but constant something...slight discomfort. I followed all the aftercare suggestions but it has taken a long time for me to feel things are "normal" down there again. Hope I am over that part of the procedure...annoying to have that odd sensitive sensation and hoping it would go away!

Same happened to me, it wasn't painful per say but annoying.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic