2020 Nonconference Schedule and Beyond

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Playing at Arkansas State?? Bleh...

I think the OP's frustration comes from knowing most other power 5 teams would never stoop to that level. Alas we are of the Vanderbilt & Duke football ilk...

For what it's worth, we're probably going to see a sudden surge in UNLV football with their new coach and facilities. Probably a Mountain West juggernaut by the time we play them (of course).

• Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

I think the OP's frustration comes from knowing most other power 5 teams would never stoop to that level. Alas we are of the Vanderbilt & Duke football ilk...

For what it's worth, we're probably going to see a sudden surge in UNLV football with their new coach and facilities. Probably a Mountain West juggernaut by the time we play them (of course).
Well, ISU is definitely closer to Vanderbilt and Duke than they are to Alabama and Clemson.

FWIW, the Florida A.D. put out an all-call looking for some P5 OOC home and homes a few months ago and ended up with some interesting match-ups. I thought Iowa State should have said: "We'll play the Gators home and home"! Instead Pollard put some snarky tweet out there about it.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010

2020: Texas Tech is playing @ UTEP
2019: Baylor played @ Rice, Oklahoma St played @ Tulsa
2018: Baylor @ UTSA, KU @ Central Michigan
2017: Oklahoma St played @ South Alabama, KU @ Ohio

That’s only in the Big 12. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois have played true road games @ Group of 5 schools, Miami has played @ Toledo and @ Appalachian St, Virginia Tech plays @ Old Dominion, Missouri @ Wyoming, etc. Iowa St is not the only school playing these games.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

That’s only in the Big 12. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois have played true road games @ Group of 5 schools, Miami has played @ Toledo and @ Appalachian St, Virginia Tech plays @ Old Dominion, Missouri @ Wyoming, etc. Iowa St is not the only school playing these games.

Also, I can't remember when, but must have been around 10 years ago, Texas played @ Wyoming.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

Someone on reddit has been tracking this the last few years

There's also this post where someone made a google doc of all the P5 @ G5 games since 2000. Realignment makes that kinda screwy.

It's is way more common than people want to believe. I am of the opinion that the gate from another home game more than pays for the 'and home' part of these deals, but I don't know that for certain.

Reactions: CyDude16

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
The UNLV video was funny. My neighbor was a very young coach on that staff with UNLV at that time.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Why do we keep playing away games vs MAC teams??
Power 5s playing at mid-majors is becoming more common place, and anyone thinking Iowa State is above going on the road to play such games need to change their mindset.

In the opening week of this past season alone, Syracuse played at Liberty, Indiana played at Ball State, Ole Miss played at Memphis and Mississippi State played at Louisiana.

And the Miami Hurricanes played at Toledo in 2018.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I've had the 2021 game in Vegas and new Raiders stadium circled for awhile. That is an awesome road trip to a fun city in one of the best stadiums in the country. Would be fun to have a lot of ISU fans there.

There had to be 10,000 or so ISU fans at the 2008 game in Las Vegas. We lost to a bad UNLV team, but it was an entertaining game. Arnaud led an amazing two minute drill to get it to overtime.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Well, ISU is definitely closer to Vanderbilt and Duke than they are to Alabama and Clemson.

FWIW, the Florida A.D. put out an all-call looking for some P5 OOC home and homes a few months ago and ended up with some interesting match-ups. I thought Iowa State should have said: "We'll play the Gators home and home"! Instead Pollard put some snarky tweet out there about it.

ISU is already playing 10 out of 12 games with P5 schools, why add another? Unless we are willing to not play Iowa every year, which I would hate to give up, it makes no sense to play 11/12 P5 schools.

• Agree
Reactions: istater7

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
ISU is already playing 10 out of 12 games with P5 schools, why add another? Unless we are willing to not play Iowa every year, which I would hate to give up, it makes no sense to play 11/12 P5 schools.
The Florida option was for two years not a lifetime contract. Playing a home and home with a team like Florida would be P.R. Gold for a program like Iowa State. Man, that would have been awesome. Florida offered, and Pollard snarked instead of taking Florida up on their open offer to all P5 schools willing to play the Gators home and home.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Florida offered, and Pollard snarked instead of taking Florida up on their open offer to all P5 schools willing to play the Gators home and home.

Did you ever stop to think that Pollard may know the Florida AD personally, and was yanking his chain about something for which everybody who isn't in the SEC rips on the SEC?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Did you ever stop to think that Pollard may know the Florida AD personally, and was yanking his chain about something for which everybody who isn't in the SEC rips on the SEC?
It was a juvenile response and a wasted opportunity for Iowa State. If he wasn't interested, he should have kept his mouth shut. Bummer that he wasn't interested. I'd love to see Iowa State play Florida home and home.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Lolz.

Iowa and Iowa State will always play because that’s what the State (as in, government) says they’re going to do. Neither school is going to find some lame excuse to back out of it.

That was part of the explanation I received when I asked why we aren’t playing Minnesota on the Jack Trice anniversary. Because Jamie is only going to schedule one P5 non-conference a year—and by default, that’s Iowa.

Hope that helps.

The state has never said that, nor would they.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
The Florida option was for two years not a lifetime contract. Playing a home and home with a team like Florida would be P.R. Gold for a program like Iowa State. Man, that would have been awesome. Florida offered, and Pollard snarked instead of taking Florida up on their open offer to all P5 schools willing to play the Gators home and home.
His point was valid. Florida already plays 1 to 2 less P5 games than ISU since they are in the SEC

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
His point was valid. Florida already plays 1 to 2 less P5 games than ISU since they are in the SEC
That has NOTHING to do with it. As a matter of fact, it makes Pollard's point seem sillier, as Florida was actively seeking other P5 OOC teams to play home and home with along with their ANNUAL game with Florida State. Florida NEVER plays two less P5s than Iowa State and some years (like last year) - when the Gators played the same # of P5s (10) as ISU: 8 SEC Games + Florida State (ACC) + Miami (ACC). So, he should not be mocking it, especially if he is not willing for ISU to play the Gators.

Which gets me back to my original point: A Major SEC Team put it out there that they were looking for P5 OOC games to schedule, and Iowa State did not even consider it. Instead the AD mocked the Gators and the SEC. Childish.

Since Vanderbilt (not counting Mizzou and A&M) is the only SEC team to ever play @ ISU, having the Florida Gators play @ JTS would have been special! Yet, all I hear from ISU fans is that it would be too tough, AND Pollard was cool to mock Florida for looking for OTHER P5 OOC opponents IN ADDITION TO Florida State EVERY YEAR to play. Makes no sense! It's okay to not want to play Florida, but not being willing to play them (because it would be too tough) AND mocking their schedule at the same time is disingenuous at best.

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
Playing an 11th Power 5 team especially one the caliber of Florida would be just plain stupid. There is no reward for playing a schedule more difficult than what we are playing now. West Virginia and I believe Purdue played 11 power 5 games this year. Did they get some sort of reward for that?