KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You mean they are the same in *nominal* terms, so stations have been taking roughly a 2% cut each year with inflation, riding that train all the way down?

That would not shock me. See my previous posts about newspaper revenues.

Radio might not be *that* extreme, but local media has taken a beating.

This is really true -- 150%.

I tell people I went to Iowa State in DC, NYC, or Boston, and they look like me like I suddenly have a second head. I go from potential equal to hick.

"Iowa? Do you grow potatoes?"

"Ohio? Oh, Iowa, oops!"

"Oh, I went there once for the caucuses when I worked on a campaign!"

I have gotten "**** that didn't happen for $200, Alex" on here several times for relating these stories but... they absolutely happen in certain circles.

The East Coast snobbery is so real.

There is a rat race out here, starting from a young age about getting into the "right" schools even long before college
, and clambering for status your entire adult life that is just alien to the egalitarianism and friendliness of the Midwest.

Becoming an expert at anything requires spending a ton of time thinking about a relatively small number of issues and questions. Asking those people anything outside of their field should give you responses that are simultaneously funny and stupid.

Don't ask a brain surgeon how to launch a rocket.

Don't ask a rocket engineer how to conduct brain surgery.

Absolutely 1000% real. However, do you think that is because the schools are better or the contacts are better? Any more than that and I'd be delving into Cave territory. I'd have a quick snippet saying that hey I'm not the one who can't find every state on a map. Then again, I guess that I'm kinda of a jerk because I don't blow smoke.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Even those pesky little tiny ones in the New England area? Guess that's why my business doesn't do $1 million in revenue. Geography -- my kryptonite.

Yes, they are still pretty big areas. Have you never traveled? I mean I know a lot of East coasters never travel but still. I mean it's not like I'm talking about finding Eritrea or Djibouti (I did not know those were connected) on a map.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
That won't be awkward at all. Hey, just kidding, you're not fired!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Completely shocked this happened, will be interesting if more details come out later how they were able to re-hire all those people but it's awesome news for local sports radio

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Completely shocked this happened, will be interesting if more details come out later how they were able to re-hire all those people but it's awesome news for local sports radio

If that is what happened... That has to be terribly awkward and feel very insecure for the people brought back, right? If they have one foot out the door on you, I would think you would be plotting your own next move with one foot out the door...

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
we-did-it-sw5z69.jpg

I honestly didn't see this coming as I thought it was a random national cut, but amazing that everyone is coming back. Well done Iowa, don't f with us.

Ahhhh....

Busch.jpg

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
If that is what happened... That has to be terribly awkward and feel very insecure for the people brought back, right? If they have one foot out the door on you, I would think you would be plotting your own next move with one foot out the door...

I'm sure the station manager was basically told what to do by corporate. If not explicitly, then given a menu of terrible choices to pick from.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Happy they are coming back and on an FM channel. I haven't listened to sports radio since the days of Deace, Marty/Ken, etc. but I may start now.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Glad everything turned out ok. On the positive side, all these shows are now more popular than they've ever been thanks to all the controversy.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Yeah it definitely would feel weird. We're all disposable at our jobs and most of us are too comfortable to realize that probably. Just put yourself in that scenario and imagine you came to work today and 2 hours after you show up they pull you into a meeting room and notify you that you have been let go effective immediately. Then a few days later you get a call and they said "sorry we realized we made a big mistake, come on back to work next week." First off I've been where I am at long enough I probably would just say no thanks I'll take my severance package and move on but yeah for most people they'd probably take that as a sign that if they pulled the plug on you once who is to say if things don't get better for the company soon I now know where I stand in the pecking order.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Glad everything turned out ok. On the positive side, all these shows are now more popular than they've ever been thanks to all the controversy.

In some cases, there is no such thing as bad press.

Except for the past 4 days.