Iceland travel

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
A friend and I lucked into a really cheap direct flight from MSP to Iceland in July ($472!).

anyone been there? Where should should we base our stay? Ideally we’d be a view days in the capital but I’m not sure what other town.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
A friend and I lucked into a really cheap direct flight from MSP to Iceland in July ($472!).

anyone been there? Where should should we base our stay? Ideally we’d be a view days in the capital but I’m not sure what other town.

How long are you there? The ring is an awesome experience I’ve heard but is a 4-5 day experience minimum. I’ve been twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you drive while you are there, watch out for the invisible cars.

aston_martin_inviz.jpg

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How long are you there? The ring is an awesome experience I’ve heard but is a 4-5 experience. I’ve been twice.

we arrive on July 2nd and leave on July 11th, so 9 days. I think we technically could do the ring in 9 days but we’d be miserable. I’m leaning towards the southern coast but not sure if we can get in the western part too.

mikeeISU

Aug 15, 2017
I went up there last year. It is indeed awesome! If you are adventurous I would recommend bringing a tent and driving around the country camping. It's relatively warm (mid 50s at night) if that's a little too much, there are tons of bed and breakfast places etc in the small towns around the island. You'll run in to a lot of European tourists especially from Sweden and Denmark. Reykjavik (the capital) is cool and there's whale watching ships you can take from there. One thing of caution is that if you rent a car the default is manual, and they will charge you a bunch to make a last minute change. I drive a manual so it wasn't an issue for me but the two from MN in front of me in line got a rude awaking. On the car side get all the insurance! They have some crazy laws on rental cars. Also gas is like 8 bucks a gallon so be prepared for that.

Otherwise the people are super cool, everyone speaks English. Have fun!

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
we arrive on July 2nd and leave on July 11th, so 9 days. I think we technically could do the ring in 9 days but we’d be miserable. I’m leaning towards the southern coast but not sure if we can get in the western part too.

We stayed at Kex Hostel both times, super nice and cheap in downtown Reykjavik. Close to some of the bars we really enjoyed.

Blue lagoon is touristy but still a good time. The Secret Lagoon was worth the trip.

We hit the following waterfalls skogafoss, gullfoss, Selfoss. As well as went to Pingvellir national park where you can snorkel, and see the tectonic plates both above ground and below water.

I really want to go back and see the northern lights as well as the black church.

Reactions: Angie and jsb

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I went up there last year. It is indeed awesome! If you are adventurous I would recommend bringing a tent and driving around the country camping. It's relatively warm (mid 50s at night) if that's a little too much, there are tons of bed and breakfast places etc in the small towns around the island. You'll run in to a lot of European tourists especially from Sweden and Denmark. Reykjavik (the capital) is cool and there's whale watching ships you can take from there. One thing of caution is that if you rent a car the default is manual, and they will charge you a bunch to make a last minute change. I drive a manual so it wasn't an issue for me but the two from MN in front of me in line got a rude awaking. On the car side get all the insurance! They have some crazy laws on rental cars. Also gas is like 8 bucks a gallon so be prepared for that.

Round abouts on the interstate threw me off.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Camping sounds fun. But our friendship has survived 5 Europe trips and as we’ve gotten older, we’ve figured out large full service hotels are the way to go. ;)

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Our son flew direct from Denver Intl for $550 two March's ago. Loved every minute, rented a stick shift(35% of the cost of an automatic) and learned how to use a stick in the airport parking lot.

Loved hiking around Reykjavik, drove to some national parks a few hours away. Stayed at a home an older couple who he never had to deal with.

1b809665f47f7316905e9f934d6381ef.jpg

images
This, in March, was a ghost of a waterfall, spectacular.

Reactions: AgronAlum and jsb

mikeeISU

Aug 15, 2017
Camping sounds fun. But our friendship has survived 5 Europe trips and as we’ve gotten older, we’ve figured out large full service hotels are the way to go. ;)

I totally get that. I'm still in the camping mode but it's not for everyone.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Our son flew direct from Denver Intl for $550 two March's ago. Loved every minute, rented a stick shift(35% of the cost of an automatic) and learned how to use a stick in the airport parking lot.

Loved hiking around Reykjavik, drove to some national parks a few hours away. Stayed at a home an older couple who he never had to deal with.

1b809665f47f7316905e9f934d6381ef.jpg

images
This, in March, was a ghost of a waterfall, spectacular.
Top pic is Gulfoss, nearby is Gysir (yes it is a geyser) both awesome and about a 2 hr drive from Reykjavik

Reactions: CyDude16

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Maybe it's just where I've recently gone in Europe but it seems like recently there are less and less rental manual cars. I've always chosen the manual car and the last two times when I got there, they gave me an automatic even though I requested a manual.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Are there any tricks to finding killer deals on flights to a certain place or are people just browsing prices often and occasionally find really cheap deal?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Are there any tricks to finding killer deals on flights to a certain place or are people just browsing prices often and occasionally find really cheap deal?

For me, Google flights and then choose "track prices".