Instant reaction podcast...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't find the story right now, but I recall him being quoted as he likes to take timeouts after made baskets so he can build up confidence or something to that effect. Conversely I think he said he doesn't take them as often in situations where we aren't playing well so people don't come to the bench with low confidence.

I thought of that when I read - either in Hines' story or message board discussion surrounding that story - that Prohm is tough in practice but doesn't like to get too negative with players during games to keep their confidence high.

And while I hate to play amateur sports psychologist, that seems...off to me. Your whole season shouldn't be a never-ending quest to reinforce confidence. You breed confidence by putting your guys in a position to succeed, and by them succeeding.

Yeah and you know what a guy wants to do after hitting a big 3 or something? Get after the opponent on D and see if they can keep it going with a turnover or something because that internalized confidence is brewing. Did David Montgomery get taken off the field after a big run so the staff can tell him what he did was good?

Hilton isn't known for its crowds because of a stop and go of play. It's about the huge runs and making the other team get so frazzled they have to call a time out to regroup. That's actually just typical basketball, really.

The practice vs. game thing---you can be tough and critical and positive at the same time to build real growth.

I'll say this--in limited experience, but still experience, a coach that seems to change their personality or demeanor often will eventually lose credibility and attention.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah and you know what a guy wants to do after hitting a big 3 or something? Get after the opponent on D and see if they can keep it going with a turnover or something because that internalized confidence is brewing. Did David Montgomery get taken off the field after a big run so the staff can tell him what he did was good?

Hilton isn't known for its crowds because of a stop and go of play. It's about the huge runs and making the other team get so frazzled they have to call a time out to regroup. That's actually just typical basketball, really.

The practice vs. game thing---you can be tough and critical and positive at the same time to build real growth.

I'll say this--in limited experience, but still experience, a coach that seems to change their personality or demeanor often will eventually lose credibility and attention.

Yeah, if what Trice remembers is correct, that just seems weird to me from a psychological standpoint.

Damn, I really hate having this discussion on New Year's Day, but I honestly lost sleep after last night. It's the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning, and obviously it's been on my mind all day with how much I've posted here.

I really want Prohm to succeed, and I think in large part he has in his first four seasons here, but last night's loss is really, really tough to shake off, and I don't think it should be shaken off either.

• Agree
Reactions: moforisu and Trice

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, if what Trice remembers is correct, that just seems weird to me from a psychological standpoint.

Damn, I really hate having this discussion on New Year's Day, but I honestly lost sleep after last night. It's the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning, and obviously it's been on my mind all day with how much I've posted here.

I really want Prohm to succeed, and I think in large part he has in his first four seasons here, but last night's loss is really, really tough to shake off, and I don't think it should be shaken off either.

I slept like a rock last night. I was on here a lot after but really wasn't shocked at all for whatever reason.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Do you see the 'time out after a made bucket' thing coming into the discussion?

Has always seemed like an odd thing to do in something like basketball where rhythm is a big deal, especially in a place like Hilton that's always waiting for the momentum to shift.

I don't like when he does it, but his reasoning makes sense. He has stated he does it in order to talk defense for the next defensive possession. I don't like it but the reason does make sense.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I can't find the story right now, but I recall him being quoted as he likes to take timeouts after made baskets so he can build up confidence or something to that effect. Conversely I think he said he doesn't take them as often in situations where we aren't playing well so people don't come to the bench with low confidence.

I thought of that when I read - either in Hines' story or message board discussion surrounding that story - that Prohm is tough in practice but doesn't like to get too negative with players during games to keep their confidence high.

And while I hate to play amateur sports psychologist, that seems...off to me. Your whole season shouldn't be a never-ending quest to reinforce confidence. You breed confidence by putting your guys in a position to succeed, and by them succeeding.

He has said he does it when the team has had a few bad defensive sets in a row and he needs to get them refocused on defense. I was expecting it to happen last night based on the shots FAM was making down the stretch.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The not being shocked part is what is really telling and troublesome. I was in the same boat.

Yeah, i was out with friends because it was NYE, but i saw the score and was like 'i both am and am not shocked by this'.

Not a good place for the program to be for sure. Apathy will set in quickly. It already has in the student section, a section that is much more 'what have you done for me lately' (and a section that has had to watch an inordinate amount of home losses the last few years)

• Agree
Reactions: Hoggins

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't have a problem with the timeouts after buckets if they are effective but it seems like most of time, they aren't. I think the overall issue Prohm has is knowing when to get really hands on, he would rather let the players figure things out it seems but every once in awhile he calls a TO to try to reign things in and we don't see changes. The tourney game last year was a glaring example, we call a timeout after a stop, the play he drew up was to isolate Jacobson on the block against Wesson. MJ was scoreless at the time, had played really bad but that was the go to play he choose. I assume he was trying to draw a foul to get Wesson to the bench but that's a just a bonehead call considering the matchup. Just an odd time to go with that play considering, we had 3 other guys in double figures.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Prohm has been here long enough that we know what we are getting with him. There isn't going to be some uptick at this point. With players he recruits we will be lucky to make the tourney and lose in the first round.

I wish it weren't true but that is what his history tells us. It worked great for him at Murray State when making the tourney was cause for celebration.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Ok, but would a consultant be allowed to come in and go all drill sargent on the team?

I also just don't understand what happened to Jacobson this year. He was so much better last year and you don't just forget how to play basketball. Perhaps he just lost all confidence but that has been the most surprising thing to me this year.

I dont' get why people expect so much from MJ, he plays hard but he should never be higher than your 4th or 5th scoring option. He's a Iowa level recruit that shouldnt be more than a role player, we are asking big things out of him this year, simply because we have no choice. Everything he gave us last year was gravy thanks to the other firepower we had, we weren't counting on him to score every night. This year we have to.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and ATCy

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015

You've had your head buried in the sand deeper than any of us could've imagined.

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
My concern is Leech and Anderson scored as many points as the two freshmen that are still on the team. I think we all expect Haliburton to leave. I hope this freshman class isn't like the Hawks incoming class that gets made fun of all the time. I know they have no offers and hope these two start to do something soon but am starting to wonder about them. Conditt, Griffin, Jackson and Grill doesn't look like a solid foundation for the future. I know a lot will be added. I love Conditt but hope the others improve soon. I know I should add Bolton. Looks like he finally had a really good game. Players leaving early are really hurting now. Ones leaving for the NBA should help ISU in future recruiting, but Wigginton and Lard would be huge now, if they were bought into ISU. Hopefully our upcoming class is more ready then this year's or Prohm's goose will be cooked.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
My concern is Leech and Anderson scored as many points as the two freshmen that are still on the team. I think we all expect Haliburton to leave. I hope this freshman class isn't like the Hawks incoming class that gets made fun of all the time. I know they have no offers and hope these two start to do something soon but am starting to wonder about them. Conditt, Griffin, Jackson and Grill doesn't look like a solid foundation for the future. I know a lot will be added. I love Conditt but hope the others improve soon. I know I should add Bolton. Looks like he finally had a really good game. Players leaving early are really hurting now. Ones leaving for the NBA should help ISU in future recruiting, but Wigginton and Lard would be huge now, if they were bought into ISU. Hopefully our upcoming class is more ready then this year's or Prohm's goose will be cooked.

Who has no offers?

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
It takes 15 minutes for a quick reaction podcast.. I find it telling not single local media in 24 hours has given us anything
I don’t know Pollard but I think someone in another thread said he holds grudges so wouldn’t be shocked to not see much criticism from the media so no access is revoked.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cycsk

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Nobody is pulling access to anyone..This site and others are a big advertisement for isu athletics..