ISU +3.5 vs ND

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I hope our OC doesn’t try to fool ND with the backward pass he used a couple of times against K St

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Thought about throwing like $10 towards isu on this one but haven’t made my mind up yet
Taking Iowa State might be the play here.. The two worst losses this season came by 10 points to KSU, and 7 points to OSU. The other three losses were by a combined 4 points. If Iowa State plays well, I think you're looking at a field goal game either way being the outcome in this game.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones12321

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Taking Iowa State might be the play here.. The two worst losses this season came by 10 points to KSU, and 7 points to OSU. The other three losses were by a combined 4 points. If Iowa State plays well, I think you're looking at a field goal game either way being the outcome in this game.
I just started at this. So far I’ve just done win or lose not the spread

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just started at this. So far I’ve just done win or lose not the spread
Ah I see. Yeah spreads can be tricky and very unforgiving at times, and yet again so can betting straight ML's..

So depending on where you bet and what odds they are giving you, with a $10 bet, you're looking at making about $5 more if you were to choose Iowa State straight up rather than taking Iowa State +3.5. If you're confident in the pick, you might as well throw some money down on the spread as well because if Iowa State wins outright, they would cover the spread as well. If Iowa State would lose but cover the spread, you would at least make some of your money back or all of it back.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I would take ISU to win straight up. We are just as good as ND and we will have a better crowd and more motivation. Book it.

We may have louder fans but I doubt that we have more fans. There is a reason that they have their own exclusive contract with NBC. Notre Dame fans are everywhere and they will be well represented.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We may have louder fans but I doubt that we have more fans. There is a reason that they have their own exclusive contract with NBC. Notre Dame fans are everywhere and they will be well represented.
Both fan bases will be pretty good for this game, however I don't think they'll factor into the outcome of the game.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If you're going to bet ISU, just take the ML. Underdogs don't cover often in bowl games, they win outright more frequently. There is data to back that up, but I can't link it at work, they have most of those sites blocked.

• Agree
Reactions: Dudley4CY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If you're going to bet ISU, just take the ML. Underdogs don't cover often in bowl games, they win outright more frequently. There is data to back that up, but I can't link it at work, they have most of those sites blocked.
Why not bet both? If you bet the ISU ML, they'll obviously cover as well.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Why not bet both? If you bet the ISU ML, they'll obviously cover as well.
Yeah you could. I think the article I read was speaking in terms of taking one or the other. There'd obviously be a higher payout for taking the ML than the +3.5. It was just in reference to bowl games in general, apparently the dogs don't cover as frequently as they simply win outright. Kind of a weird stat.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah you could. I think the article I read was speaking in terms of taking one or the other. There'd obviously be a higher payout for taking the ML than the +3.5. It was just in reference to bowl games in general, apparently the dogs don't cover as frequently as they simply win outright. Kind of a weird stat.
Yeah that is weird and appears to hold truth.. It depends on what spread you took in each of the games, but from opening lines, UAB (+17.5) against Appalachian State has been the only underdog that covered and did not win outright.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Both fan bases will be pretty good for this game, however I don't think they'll factor into the outcome of the game.

We should not underestimate how many Notre Dame alumni and fans have retired in Florida (and brought their families down for the holidays).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We should not underestimate how many Notre Dame alumni and fans have retired in Florida (and brought their families down for the holidays).
I really wouldn't care if ND brought their entire fan base down, I don't think it will matter once the ball snaps. We've played well in tough environments before and I don't think ND outnumbering us in fans is going to be a determining factor in who wins the game.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyman42 and CyBlock

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019

You're absolutely right! I have no data either, other than the records I've kept running a bowl pool the last 10 years. Underdogs do surprisingly well, and our game will came down to a last possession IMO. Assally will get a key to the city if he makes a last second 42 yarder!

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Wanted to drop by and say good luck on Saturday. Notre Dame is tough but no tougher than Oklahoma or even Baylor. Hope you guys can pull it off!

Thanks. Probably no tougher than the Hawks, either. Probably no tougher than Washington State last December. Problem is we lost to all these teams by one point or two points. I've had it up to here with these near misses! It's time to PROVE IT and beat the life out of someone!

So, anyway.... I mean, go Cyclones.