Recent CyHawk Series Performance

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Lately it’s been a rough go for us in the major sports in the rivalry, but saw Keith Murphy’s tweet last night and it was a little eye opening to see written out

What are people’s thoughts on this?What’s been the reason behind this? Outside of wrestling, I wouldn’t consider Iowa light years ahead of us in any of the major sports the past few years.

I'm far from a “we need to beat Iowa every year!!” guy, but you should beat your rival every so often. It’s just weird to me considering the past few years have been generally pretty solid for ISU Athletics, but we can’t get over this rivalry hump.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
2nd and 4th ones listed are the only 2 I care about. For football it’s kinda been a little bad luck and Iowa having a really good team the past 2 years. In 16 we were just bad after getting rid of Rhoads, 17 we were getting things figured out early on, weren’t used to winning, in 18 we played our first game on the road against them, put us at a disadvantage, in 19 we blew it, but Iowa might be a 10 win team when all said and done.

For basketball we seem to just be declining as a program. Prohm is also getting heavily out coached by Fran.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Football: Kirk is a really good coach and they have a good program. The Iowa fans that want him gone (probably a vocal minority) better be careful what they wish for.

Basketball: While Fran is not a great coach, he isn't as bad as some on here make him out to be. The bulk of the Iowa guys have played together for a couple years now, which is a big thing if you have good chemistry. A criticism of Prohm I have is that it takes him too long to make adjustments; in game and in season. It's quite clear starting Solo and Mike together is not working. The basketball team lacks an identity right now.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Let's be honest, football and men's BB are really all that the majority care about. I'm not saying that is right or wrong...just talking reality.

It doesn't make the story any better...just sayin'....

Caveat - while we need Campbell to break the losing streak (and he will) , he is not getting blown out at home. That is hard to accept.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I fully expect the Cyclones to lose Wrestling and Men's Basketball again next year. Wrestling because TOE is one of the best wrestling programs out there and Men's Basketball because literally their entire team will be back next year. Could very well lose the football game and women's basketball games again too. TOE having a brand new QB might be an advantage to ISU early in the season, but they will still be very sound overall.

There are too many variables to look further ahead than that, but I gotta think Purdy in Ames senior year has gotta be the time to break the streak (if it's still active) and Iowa MBB coming to Ames minus their key pieces and adding new guys in 2021 might be an opportunity if the Cyclones sign some guys that can hit open shots consistently.

• Informative

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The thing is ISU is in a good place in most sports. Iowa just seems to be a little better. We also have saw in recent years how important the basketball game is to the Iowa players. They flat up view this as their biggest game of the year and Fran always has them playing well this time of year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The thing is ISU is in a good place in most sports. Iowa just seems to be a little better. We also have saw in recent years how important the basketball game is to the Iowa players. They flat up view this as their biggest game of the year and Fran always has them playing well this time of year.
OMG - so defending Hilton against our hated arch-rival doesn't make it hugely important to us? This notion that Iowa "wants it more" is pure BS.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Iowa just seems to be a little better

When all things are pretty much even the team that does the little things, doesnt make mistakes, and pays attention to detail will be just a little bit better. Prime example, when's the last time an Iowa special teams player took out his own punt returner with game winning drive ensuing?

• Agree

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
OMG - so defending Hilton against our hated arch-rival doesn't make it hugely important to us? This notion that Iowa "wants it more" is pure BS.

It's important, but this season will be defined by how we finish the season.

As to why this is happening - FB games have been very close. We've missed opportunities there, and quite frankly just tried to play Iowa like they play everybody got got out Iowa'd.

Basketball Iowa just won in Hilton breaking a 16 year road losing streak. Forgive me if I'm not freaking out about that series.

Wrestling, well, it's a wrap, Iowa probably going to win the next 20 IMO.

WBB, Bluder has passed Fennelly and consistently puts better teams out there. They just signed that very highly rated recruit from Dowling as well. Gonna keep happening.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
When all things are pretty much even the team that does the little things, doesnt make mistakes, and pays attention to detail will be just a little bit better. Prime example, when's the last time an Iowa special teams player took out his own punt returner with game winning drive ensuing?
This. Watch the Nebraska game. Iowa won that game because every part of their special teams game is excellent. They win games because of it. We continue to lose a lot based on it.

• Agree
Reactions: clone1990

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It's important, but this season will be defined by how we finish the season.

As to why this is happening - FB games have been very close. We've missed opportunities there, and quite frankly just tried to play Iowa like they play everybody got got out Iowa'd.

Basketball Iowa just won in Hilton breaking a 16 year road losing streak. Forgive me if I'm not freaking out about that series.

Wrestling, well, it's a wrap, Iowa probably going to win the next 20 IMO.

WBB, Bluder has passed Fennelly and consistently puts better teams out there. They just signed that very highly rated recruit from Dowling as well. Gonna keep happening.
Agree - and last season didn't "finish" well. Our first round NCAA game against Ohio State - the climax of the year and every team's goal from the beginning of fall practice - and ISU just seems to mail it in?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I fully expect the Cyclones to lose Wrestling and Men's Basketball again next year. Wrestling because TOE is one of the best wrestling programs out there and Men's Basketball because literally their entire team will be back next year. Could very well lose the football game and women's basketball games again too. TOE having a brand new QB might be an advantage to ISU early in the season, but they will still be very sound overall.

There are too many variables to look further ahead than that, but I gotta think Purdy in Ames senior year has gotta be the time to break the streak (if it's still active) and Iowa MBB coming to Ames minus their key pieces and adding new guys in 2021 might be an opportunity if the Cyclones sign some guys that can hit open shots consistently.
Based on Dakich on the broadcast last night Garza will clearly be in the league next year.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
In my opinion, the only negative in that tweet is the 5 year run in football. And even that is subject to some interpretation as I'm not really going to hold Rhoads' last season and Campbell's first season against us.

Wrestling should have a huge asterisk by it and then a second asterisk to note that Iowa State's former coach has been having his way with them.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That wrestling streak isn't gonna change any time soon. Last year in Carver was our shot at catching lightening in a bottle. Might be a long ass time before that happens again.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Bull****. Beating your rival is a priority. You think Texas & Michigan are brushing off their recent lack of success against their primary rivals? At least they live in different states. We have to face hawk roaches on a daily basis. It's beyond annoying.

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
I'm sick and tired of getting whipped by them and saying "it was their superbowl". That's lame. I'm ok with it being my superbowl. I hate them. I hate losing to them. I hate the condescending BS I have to listen to at work about what a good try we gave it. This applies to football too. I want to kick Iowa's ass as bad as anyone in the B12. Call me what you want, but the Iowa Game is kinda my superbowl. We don't win against them enough to have a carefree attitude about it. They own us and I can't for the life of me figure out why our teams/coaches don't feel the same way I do.

**Edit** Sorry, kinda still angry from last night.