SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Have they announced an interim OC?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Am I the slow one to think that because he previously worked for Norvell who has taken the FSU job, somehow Norvell is involved in this?

I wonder if Long told Kelly he was interested in looking into joining Norvell at FSU or taking Norvell's old job and Kelly figured he wasn't going to get Long's full attention right now anyway, so go now.

Maybe Kelly didn't like the way that he prepared the offense for our Memphis bowl game (if he was there at that time). partial jimlad.png

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I doubt anything will significantly change. Long may have been OC, but that was more in name only. Make no mistake, its Brian Kelly's pass happy offensive scheme that we'll still face in the bowl.

Does Kelly call the plays on game day? If so then yeah, I agree with you. No big deal for Iowa State. If anything I could see it maybe being advantageous for ISU if Kelly will assume playcalling duties for this game only or hand it over to a staff member with zero or limited playcalling experience.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I hope the ND offense has it's issues and we get to see a MadBrian moment or two on the sidelines.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Trying to remember a story I heard about a new OC that came in and installed a new offense in the lead up to the team's bowl game - maybe Al Borges at Auburn under Tubberville? Can't find it today, my Google-skills are way down... But Borges did coordinate his way to an undefeated 2004. Could have been one from the Mumme spread-offense tree. Probably contained somewhere in these forums, my memory says I first read it during one of Rhoads' OC searches.

In any event, hope ND doesn't hire some new whiz-OC that puts in a ton of new stuff in the next couple weeks.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
ND does not need an OC from their fans post we are a nothing burger to them they just need to walk on the field and we will run and hide as they are the mighty ND.

• Informative
Reactions: Boxerdaddy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't think much will change, Book's strengths (running the ball, hitting on short passes) actually play pretty well in to what works against our defense.

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
IMO, this is a good thing for Iowa State. Tommy Rees is going to call the plays in the bowl game, and is the favorite to be promoted to OC after the season, and he is not qualified to do so. He has only been a coach for three years.

Chip Long was creative in coming up with ways to get yards on the ground since ND’s running game is really bad. I don’t see Rees being able to do the same.

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
I don't think much will change, Book's strengths (running the ball, hitting on short passes) actually play pretty well in to what works against our defense.

If you can get pressure on him early, he will panic and make stupid decisions. It doesn’t even have to be a lot of pressure. He has a tendency to scramble out of a good pocket and create the pressure himself.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
IMO, this is a good thing for Iowa State. Tommy Rees is going to call the plays in the bowl game, and is the favorite to be promoted to OC after the season, and he is not qualified to do so. He has only been a coach for three years.

Chip Long was creative in coming up with ways to get yards on the ground since ND’s running game is really bad. I don’t see Rees being able to do the same.

He's a former ND qb right?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

If this is true, I would anticipate a longer than usual script of plays to start the game. It is a good way to help a new play caller get his feet wet. But it can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing, especially as that starting script gets longer.

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
He's a former ND qb right?

He is. He has always been looked at as a bit of a QB prodigy in the head by Brian Kelly, but he had limited athleticism and a noodle arm, so he couldn’t always execute what his brain was telling him.

Reactions: heitclone

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
If this is true, I would anticipate a longer than usual script of plays to start the game. It is a good way to help a new play caller get his feet wet. But it can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing, especially as that starting script gets longer.

He is probably going to get help/mentoring from Jeff Quinn, who is the (terrible) OL coach and Kelly’s former OC at Cincinnati, where he held the OC title but Kelly called all of the plays.

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
Does Kelly call the plays on game day? If so then yeah, I agree with you. No big deal for Iowa State. If anything I could see it maybe being advantageous for ISU if Kelly will assume playcalling duties for this game only or hand it over to a staff member with zero or limited playcalling experience.

Chip Long was 100% the playcaller.