The magic is gone

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Stop it. The crowd was awesome on Sunday and would have been great tonight if they actually had something to cheer for. We still have one of the best home court crowds in the country, but it takes much more than that to win games.

If you think Hilton Magic was just people showing up to a game you’re so wrong. Hilton Magic was being favored in nearly every home game. Hilton Magic was knowing you could beat anyone. Hilton Magic was losing 1 or 2 home games a year and even being disappointed in that.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Fred can stay away from Ames. Prohm wants to be here, he just needs to reflect on himself as a coach and identify his weaknesses. He reminds me of a young Scott Drew. The problem is Scott Drew has improved himself greatly as a coach compared to when he entered the league. Prohm did well in Murray because he could get talent that was NBA caliber in the OVC. The problem here is other teams have better talent than us and he's not going to out coach them. I truly think he's in over his head here unless he makes staff changes and stops liking offensive sets on Twitter.

Prohm's Biggest Problem is....The guy just cant coach esp at this level...csp said in his presser that they worked on Iowas zone for three days.....and this is the result!...SAD DAY FOR HILTON MAGIC.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The problem is that it will eventually trickle down to the fans. First we see empty student sections in non/conf and then we will see empty student sections in the conference games. He needs to hope that TH decides to come back for a third year because if miss the tournament this year and next.....well then JP is going to have a dilemma because fan support will take a hit.

YUH think.....I agree because what you are describing is what happened under Greg "Wonderful Nice Guy" McDermott...who was then given ONE more year and guess what, GreggieBoy fled to Omaha.....Is there anybody on this message board who like me....took my son and sat inside Hilton, when you could sit in any seat you wanted...Just ask the ushers if you could sit in the lower level and answer was always YES....

Reactions: UnCytely

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
If we miss the tournament 3 times in years 3-6 JP won’t have much of a dilemma.

Let’s say this season goes poorly, there is a 0.001% chance Prohm is fired. Next year however...

My issue with Prohm (and I’m a fan of his) is his inability to make in-game adjustments. He sticks to “I’ll put this player in the game at this point in the game” even though the player to be replaced (i.e. Jacobsen) struggles badly with poor shots, turnovers, and no defense. He did it last year with Wiggington. Also, we are now 1/3 of the way through the season and it’s obvious we suck at shooting and are much more productive attacking the basket. And yet he continually lets this team jack up 3 after 3 without consequence. Makes no sense.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This. It feels like a lot of his game plans rely on out talenting other teams. That works at Murray State when you have 1 NBA against a bunch of players who aren't even good enough to go to Europe. In the Big 12, well, doesn't work so much

I do think this is some of it. That’s exactly what he did at Murray State. I’ve always been more critical because I wasn’t at all impressed with him there. He had 2 NBA point guards and made the NCAA tournament once.

I think that’s what we sometimes see now. It’s Halliburton whose supposed to just out talent our opponents. It just doesn’t work.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Ok, my points getting lost a bit here. I'm not arguing that we should be Duke and Kentucky, that point was brought up by someone else acting like thinking we should win home games is unreasonable because those two lost random games that wouldn't happen again 99/100. My point is that under Prohm we're letting mediocre teams walk in here and win, and that's even leaving out that one season we sucked badly. Under Fred Iowa didn't win in Ames. NIT teams didn't win in Ames. Outside of growing pains in the Royce year it was Kansas and Baylor. Nobody else did it. Now teams that aren't good are coming into Hilton and winning, and these Prohm teams on paper aren't significantly worse than the Fred teams that could win at home. If that's not alarming then I'm not sure what is.

People bring up Duke and Kentucky for all sorts of stupid reasons.
We lose at home a lot more than anybody should, and we get run out of Hilton way too often. That should be indisputable.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Kentucky lost at home to Evansville, Duke lost at home to Stephen F Austin
This year

Those places have historic venues, hall of fame coaches and 5 star players.

That is not to defend Prohm's coaching tonight, but teams do get beat at home.

Do Kentucky and Duke lose at home over and over and over again, with regularity?

We would be OK if last night's loss was an isolated thing, but it was not.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think I speak for a lot of the fanbase when I say I legitimately expect to win every game at Hilton. That's where the bar is set. Obviously we aren't going to do that often, but it should feel like an absolute gut-punch to lose at home. Instead, right now it feels like standard operating procedure.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I get that losing at home sucks.

but we can’t say all of these coaches never lost at home but not point out that prohm had huge road wins last year.

How are Power 6 conference championships won in college basketball? I'll break it down for you, you protect your home court, go 8-1 or 9-0, go 4-5 or 5-4 on the road. What good does it do to win 4 road games when you turn around and go 5-4 in Hilton every year and get run out of the gym by NIT teams?

You dont even need to respond, just think about. I dont even know why Im bringing up conference championships anyways. This program wont get anywhere close with this mid-major coaching staff.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I used to love watching basketball, now its virtually unwatchable with one and done, transfers, and honestly, for ISU, a lack of winning. We really haven't been good at basketball since Larry Eustacy left. At no point during Hoiberg's tenure did we have a shot to win it all, he coached no defense and the teams lacked toughness. I agree Hilton magic is gone, but its been going for almost 2 decades. We are becoming a football school more and more every year, we need to do whatever we can to keep Matt Campbell. Maybe he can coach the basketball team too.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Prohm now 12-11 against power conference opponents in Hilton since the start of the 17-18 season not to mention the embarrassing UW-Milwaukee loss. He's done it, he's killed the Magic.

You have to have guys that can shoot for the Magic to kick in. And box out. And play defense. And play smart. We don't have that.

MTCyclone43

Feb 22, 2016
The Magic of Hilton is not dead. The coach is dead from the neck up. I have been a supporter of Coach Prohm; however, what I saw last night convinced me that he cannot get it done. He was out coached by Fran McCaffery. Let that sink in. The Cyclones were out hustled by an athletically deficient Iowa team. For Coach Prohm to say that he did not prepare his team for this game is inexcusable.

• Agree
Reactions: UnCytely

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I used to love watching basketball, now its virtually unwatchable with one and done, transfers, and honestly, for ISU, a lack of winning. We really haven't been good at basketball since Larry Eustacy left. At no point during Hoiberg's tenure did we have a shot to win it all, he coached no defense and the teams lacked toughness. I agree Hilton magic is gone, but its been going for almost 2 decades. We are becoming a football school more and more every year, we need to do whatever we can to keep Matt Campbell. Maybe he can coach the basketball team too.

If Niang doesn't break his foot, we were easily the hottest team in the country and would have had a very real shot at the championship that year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron