***MLB Off season Thread 2019/2020***

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have yet to see any of these big contracts pay off for the team. Cole is 29, so they're getting him in his prime. But really, you're getting him for 4 to 6 years and 3 to 5 throwaway years. So, in essence, they're paying him $300m+ for 4 to 6 years of service, at best.
Yankees have been running the MLB pitcher retirement program for years now. They have signed an awful lot of guys to some massive contracts at the end of the careers.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm going to be so pissed if Whit Merrifield is still on the Royals at the start of the season. He's a late bloomer who keeps himself in good shape, and maybe his prime will last well into his 30s, but the team is still a couple of years away and has so many needs.

• Disagree
Reactions: CloneIce

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I'm going to be so pissed if Whit Merrifield is still on the Royals at the start of the season. He's a late bloomer who keeps himself in good shape, and maybe his prime will last well into his 30s, but the team is still a couple of years away and has so many needs.

We should only trade him if we get a great return. No rush to deal him yet.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
We should only trade him if we get a great return. No rush to deal him yet.

Yeah, they should get a great return with that contract and his performance. I don’t have any data to back this up, but my general feeling is that guys who don’t have prospect pedigrees and/or are late bloomers tend to fall off a cliff sometimes.

Plus his value goes down every day he gets closer to the end of this contract, and realistically, they’re not going to have enough pitching for a few years to compete. The Padres are reportedly interested and their minor league system is stacked.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Top guys gone for free agent starting pitchers. Think Hyun-Jin Ryu is top for remaining arms followed by Dallas Keuchel.

Not enough starters arms to go around. Might be seeing the dawn of the opener bullpen day era.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Rangers gave up nothing for him. Surely the Cubs could have sent them a bag of baseballs and a package of Bic pens. That would have more value.

I am intrigued by the reliever - he evidently has a 101 MPH cutter. If he can command that he could end up being tough

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Not quite the pitching splash we've been waiting for, but a nice low risk signing in Clippard. He was very good for Cleveland last year.
Also surprised to hear the Twins have made a four year offer on Donaldson. We'll see if the money is better than the Nats.