Iowa/Iowa St.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
After the way we handled (or didn't) the late game press from Seton Hall, I would expect Iowa to try to crank up the pressure. They don't have the athlete's Seton Hall does, but the way we floundered at times against the press, I expect them to ramp it up.
Honestly that was probably the best thing that could happen, we'll be at least a little more prepared for a press now. I'm sure that is something they will go over in practice and with our guards should be improved. Also, I kind of doubt Iowa would want to speed us up with a press, they should know that it's easier to beat us in a half court set.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Honestly that was probably the best thing that could happen, we'll be at least a little more prepared for a press now. I'm sure that is something they will go over in practice and with our guards should be improved. Also, I kind of doubt Iowa would want to speed us up with a press, they should know that it's easier to beat us in a half court set.
The problem Iowa has continuously had is that they can't guard in the half court.. They are really really bad at it. That's why they run junk zones and full court presses where they trap right when you cross half court. Anything to throw the offense off a little bit.

Attacking the basket should be there all night because Iowa doesn't have a soul on their team that can defend above the rim.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
After the way we handled (or didn't) the late game press from Seton Hall, I would expect Iowa to try to crank up the pressure. They don't have the athlete's Seton Hall does, but the way we floundered at times against the press, I expect them to ramp it up.

Their press is totally different from what SH ran, they typically don't pick you up full court, its more of a 3/4 trap. Getting the ball in bounds was our problem Sunday, once we got the ball in and to the right person (TYRESE) we were fine. Iowa won't pressure the in bounds pass like that, making a good pass in to the front court and that person who receives being ready take the ball to the rim will be key against them.

The first guy to have the ball in the front court will be in a good spot to make a play. It'd be nice if that guy was Bolton and he relentlessly attacked the rim all night.

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
ISU needs to come out right from the tip and set a tone defensively. Can't let Iowa get comfortable on offense early. Also need to focus on getting good shots. They should be able to drive the ball and should be able to take advantage of putting Garza in PnR situations.
They will play zone 80-90% of time.

• Winner
Reactions: moores2

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
i would agree with this, but Prohm never does this. heck he runs the same out of bounds play everytime. we can barely guard the pick and roll, and if we tried to change up our D, we'd probably confuse our own team more than the opponent.

Don't even get me started on his pants!

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
No they won’t. Probably end up 50/50
Who would you have guard who when they do go man to man. Starters only for this hypothetical just to make things easier. Almost have to have Jobo on Nixon with his injury. that puts McCaffrey on Haliburton or Bolton? I can't see them staying in man to man very long.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
They will play zone 80-90% of time.

If Iowa doesn't play zone the entire game, they are crazy. We... Can... Not... Shoot. We are shooting under 30% from 3 as a team. We are literally one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in D1.

Why would Iowa play man where they give our athleticism a chance to drive and slash?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just watched the highlights from the 2017 game that we won in Hilton. Jeff Beverly was a starter in that game......

Beverly played 13 minutes, scored 6 on 3/4 from the field, and had three rebounds.

He could be okay in small doses. I feel he takes a lot of unfair heat and is emblematic for a season that had a lot of problems besides just Mr. Beverly.

Nick and Lindell were awesome in that game...

upload_2019-12-10_12-47-3.png

Heck, freshman Terrence Lewis came in and shot 2/5 from three in nine minutes. That is some Dion Waiters level of heat check bench guy hunting for shots.

I hope Tyrese and Rasir give us a similar performance.

We actually probably broke their press cleanly 98% of the time. Two of the turnovers we had were Georges Conditt trying to get the ball out of his hands too quick instead of just taking the foul, and then Bolton trying to do a bit too much.

I have full confidence that Bolton and Halliburton will be able to beat their trap and we should have numbers when that happens and multiple lob attempts to Conditt. Conditt rim running could be a game changer Thursday because Iowa doesn't have anyone that's even close to his athleticism or length.

I figure three things get emphasized in practice this week...

-- defensive game plan
-- zone-break
-- press-break

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
The problem Iowa has continuously had is that they can't guard in the half court.. They are really really bad at it. That's why they run junk zones and full court presses where they trap right when you cross half court. Anything to throw the offense off a little bit.

Attacking the basket should be there all night because Iowa doesn't have a soul on their team that can defend above the rim.
Kind of sounds like Bolton should be able to get to the rim at will.... It'll be interesting to see what they throw at us.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Beverly played 13 minutes, scored 6 on 3/4 from the field, and had three rebounds.

He could be okay in small doses. I feel he takes a lot of unfair heat and is emblematic for a season that had a lot of problems besides just Mr. Beverly.

Nick and Lindell were awesome in that game...

View attachment 69113

Heck, freshman Terrence Lewis came in and shot 2/5 from three in nine minutes. That is some Dion Waiters level of heat check bench guy looking for his shot.

I hope Tyrese and Rasir give us a similar performance.

I figure three things get emphasized in practice this week...

-- defensive game plan
-- zone-break
-- press-break
That's fair, he actually had a pretty nice midrange game. That team had a lot of problems, feels like Prohm has come a long way.

That was one of those games where NWB showed some of his potential. Never really felt like he maxed that out. He could have been really good, still had a solid career though.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If Iowa doesn't play zone the entire game, they are crazy. We... Can... Not... Shoot. We are shooting under 30% from 3 as a team. We are literally one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in D1.

Why would Iowa play man where they give our athleticism a chance to drive and slash?

Its not all about 3 point shooting to beat a zone. A slow and not lengthy zone leaves a lot of space for a Bolton and Tyrese to find gaps. When gaps are exploited short lobs and dish opportunities present themselves.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's fair, he actually had a pretty nice midrange game. That team had a lot of problems, feels like Prohm has come a long way.

That was one of those games where NWB showed some of his potential. Never really felt like he maxed that out. He could have been really good, still had a solid career though.

He deferred on a team of high-usage chuckers. He was not looking for his own shot as much when Shayok, Wigginton, and Horton-Tucker definitively were.

I bet he could have had a Garrett-style transformation if he had a (healthy) season where he was Option #1, but he never had that. Nick was a good college PG and did what was best for the team, so I definitely appreciate that about him.

Seems he is doing well in Europe now, too, so it ended up okay for him.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We do not run the same out of bounds play every time. We actually had a play drawn up against Seton Hall where Halliburton missed Jacobson for a layup. Also, we guarded Seton Hall's PnR extremely well on Sunday and they have one of the best guards in the nation who runs the PnR really well. After the overall defensive performance Sunday, I wouldn't be too critical.

you don’t really expect the crewe to ever actually move beyond group think, do you?

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
He deferred on a team of high-usage chuckers. He was not looking for his own shot as much when Shayok, Wigginton, and Horton-Tucker definitively were.

I bet he could have had a Garrett-style transformation if he had a (healthy) season where he was Option #1, but he never had that. Nick was a good college PG and did what was best for the team, so I definitely appreciate that about him.

Seems he is doing well in Europe now, too, so it ended up okay for him.
Yeah, that's fair.... He is definitely one of my favorite players. I thought he was gonna get a triple-double eventually. He dealt with his fair share of injuries as well, I'm sure that held him back.

He seems to be doing well you're right, thought he even had a chance to stick with the Heat after playing well in the summer.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

this is what you want. They don’t defend in the same solar system as sh.

I’m hopeful we extend our defense as well and press their guards bringing the ball up the court.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
We'll see, with the Nunge injury and ISU playing 2 bigs, I can't see Fran playing too much man, especially with the starters on the floor. Matchups in M2M should be interesting, how do you see them?
Hawks have played much more man in the "small" lineup than I would have expected. More zone when Kreiner and Garza are in together.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Who would you have guard who when they do go man to man. Starters only for this hypothetical just to make things easier. Almost have to have Jobo on Nixon with his injury. that puts McCaffrey on Haliburton or Bolton? I can't see them staying in man to man very long.
Just going by how they've played so far....much more man than expected.