Iowa/Iowa St.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We're a poor shooting team and have shown questionable shot selection. It's not a huge leap to say we could struggle against a zone in a halfcourt game.

I think Iowa State wins. i think Iowa State is better than Iowa. That doesn't mean I can't say their press and zone defense could give us fits. I know that makes me a Hawkeye fan to Cat.

It makes your post stupid. Those guys struggled against zones with defensive players far better than Garza Kroeber etc

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I can live with Garza shooting 3 pointers to be honest. If he hits them then he hits them. Kind of like Hawkeye fans probably being Ok with Conditt shooting threes. We know he can but guessing they will take there chances.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I can live with Garza shooting 3 pointers to be honest. If he hits them then he hits them. Kind of like Hawkeye fans probably being Ok with Conditt shooting threes. We know he can but guessing they will take there chances.
What? George is 0-2 from 3 in his Iowa State career. Garza is 46 of 139. That is hardly the same.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It makes your post stupid. Those guys struggled against zones with defensive players far better than Garza Kroeber etc

And what have you seen offensively from this team to suggest that we can take advantage of a bad zone? Is it our 30% shooting from 3, good for 263rd in the country? Iowa's defense was ranked 123rd when we lost at Carver in 2017. This season, Iowa's defense is ranked 134th.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
And what have you seen offensively from this team to suggest that we can take advantage of a bad zone? Is it our 30% shooting from 3, good for 263rd in the country? Iowa's defense was ranked 123rd when we lost at Carver in 2017. This season, Iowa's defense is ranked 134th.

Repeat after me.... you don't have to rely on three's to beat a zone defense...

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Three-pointers are one of the easiest ways to get a team out of a zone. The key is to work inside out to get open threes. What we've tended to do against Iowa's zone is chuck up deep, contested threes with little ball movement.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Three-pointers are one of the easiest ways to get a team out of a zone. The key is to work inside out to get open threes. What we've tended to do against Iowa's zone is chuck up deep, contested threes with little ball movement.

Lobs get a team out of zone easier than anything else

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He didn’t really say a team had to rely on threes

He pointed out that we’ve had bouts with poor shot selection, which is something that you previously attributed to our struggles with zone. If you’re going to chuck them like we have, you better make them.

We’ve had better halfcourt offenses struggle with mediocre Iowa defense. It’s certainly plausible that this matchup could feature that.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
More like Iowa will be ok with Iowa State shooting the 3. Without actually looking at the stats, this is one of the worst shooting teams in my memory.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

I have actually seen two guards that can get to the paint and rim.

Iowa’s defense is garbage. Trying to pretend this is the same team that beat Monte and naz is bad. You should feel bad.