Peloton Ad

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Before I knew it was "controversial" I was only struck that it was odd that a reasonably fit looking person was acting scared of an exercise bike.

I mean it's not like she's climbing a mountain face with no ropes or entering a UFC tournament with no training. Pretty much anybody who isn't 100 pounds overweight can get on an exercise bike without fear.

I don't watch any TV but I somehow saw this online somewhere before it was "viral".

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I love mine, set a personal record again this morning. It is nice to just go downstairs, turn it on, hop on and have someone tell me what to do. If you decide to get one, I can give you a referral code that will give you $100 in accessories.
Having someone always telling me what to do is part of the reason I rarely get my exercising done. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Makes sense, they are hella popular with the Insta influencer crowd. Maybe that's why she was documenting every second.
I’m not sure if it’s an intentional message in this ad, but a big motivation behind my purchase of a Peloton was to avoid having to frequent places like Soul Cycle that attract people like her. As annoying as that women is in a commercial, it’s worse in reality.

Brilliant move by Peloton advertising imo. Whether you want to be her, or avoid her, get a Peloton.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
$2,300 is alot, but I suppose if you look at what people pay for a gym membership that they are probably less likely to use than a bike that's already at home it's not that bad.

You're missing the part where the Peloton membership for classes is $39/mo as well. I'm pretty sure you can do a gym membership for substantially less than that cost alone, not even including the $2,300 bike.

If you or your family purchase a Peloton, I would like to know their name, phone number and address ~ because I have a bridge I would like to sell them.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You're missing the part where the Peloton membership for classes is $39/mo as well. I'm pretty sure you can do a gym membership for substantially less than that cost alone, not even including the $2,300 bike.

If you or your family purchase a Peloton, I would like to know their name, phone number and address ~ because I have a bridge I would like to sell them.

Gym memberships just don't work for a lot of people. I'm one of them. I need a group fitness workout class, and in a lot of ways something like this appeals to me. I don't understand the mentality of caring how other people spend their money, especially if they are trying to improve their health or fitness.

Reactions: heitclone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Which is what makes the commercial so stupid. They cast a woman who already looked to be in very good shape and set her on a yearlong "journey". How exactly was it life changing for her? You're either selling the bike as a means to get fit or you're selling it as a status symbol/fantasy lifestyle. Try to do both and you end up with this ad, which is rightfully getting skewered.
I think there is a misconception on being fit and being a fitness junkie. Yeah she looked like a model and had no real reason to do extra work. The life changeover part that they are selling is fit people going from fit to super fit.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Gym memberships just don't work for a lot of people. I'm one of them. I need a group fitness workout class, and in a lot of ways something like this appeals to me. I don't understand the mentality of caring how other people spend their money, especially if they are trying to improve their health or fitness.

Yep, I don't have 2 hrs to go to the gym. But 30 min in the basement each morning is doable.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
While I don't disagree with any of this, we are talking about a thirty second commercial here. Hard to develop a ton of depth of character in thirty seconds.

Very true so they just make it up to become outraged.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Mrs. Velo and I are intrigued by it, as we are both avid cyclists living in a frozen tundra. But we can't justify it when you consider that we have pretty nice road bikes for their day and they were less than the initial outlay for this subscription bike.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I go to the gym in the morning at 5 am, get on a Peloton bike (stationary bike with the bearings out on the right pedal), scope out the gals (not a lot of hotties at the gym 5-6 am), listen to rock music on my ear buds, and ride about 12-15 miles. BP is down from 190/110 to 117/69. I'm pleased with that along my membership at the gym and won't have to sell a Peloton bike on a swap site after the fad of them wears off. It will be just like the all the other machines, gizmos and gadgets that have been out over the years.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Mrs. Velo and I are intrigued by it, as we are both avid cyclists living in a frozen tundra. But we can't justify it when you consider that we have pretty nice road bikes for their day and they were less than the initial outlay for this subscription bike.

That was my issue too, but the wife does not want to ride a trainer, she wants a fun class. It was either this or $150/mo campus cycle membership.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
Agree. My wife and I use them on average of 6 days a week. No longer have the lifetime fitness monthly fee (and child care fee). No longer have to waste travel time to the gym. To each their own, but for us it has been more than worth it.

There are lots of Clones on the leaderboard. If you are one add me #KC_Clones

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That was my issue too, but the wife does not want to ride a trainer, she wants a fun class. It was either this or $150/mo campus cycle membership.
That's cool. I am mocking it generally, but not really. If I could spare the money Mrs. Velo would find one under the tree this year - which, yes, is the most prominent place in the house. ;)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
By the way, is there any contract or anything on the monthly fee? I could see them selling these for a few years and getting them in a lot of homes and then jacking up the monthly fee by 50% or so.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was led to believe Pelotons only belonged in penthouses or outdoor workout rooms/zen gardens

Pretty wild it has been relegated to the basement next to his collection of Terracotta Chinese Soldiers and raw diamonds.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO