Peloton Ad

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So this Peloton ad made quite the splash on social media. According to the article linked below, Peloton stock prices were down as much as 10% after the ad hit. Here is the ad:

and here is an article explaining some of the backlash:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/03/business/peloton-bike-ad-stock.html

I guess I think it's a dumb ad (who would take a year long video diary and play it back to their spouse about a damn stationary bike?), but I guess I don't find it offensive. Then again, I've been smart enough to stay away from workout equipment as a present for the wife.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It's a dumb ad, especially when she is nervous about getting on it.

I've bought workout stuff for my wife but she works out every morning in her gym room so she doesn't take it as me saying she needs to lose weight (because she's already fit).

• Informative
Reactions: dirtyninety

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
All depends on the people purchasing. My wife wanted with Peloton bike last year for Christmas...Got it and we use it every day. This year we added the tread. People just love to complain about anything. Also the stock market was down huge yesterday...

If you are looking to buy let me know and you can use my referral code. This will get you $100 in accessories

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Actress in the video is not bad to watch... I have one, and really like it. I guess when I first saw the ad I assumed she asked for it for Xmas, because no husband would be stupid enough to buy exercise equipment for your wife without her asking for it.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I think we're missing the back story on this though. What if she asked her husband for this $2,300 stationary bike (with $40/month subscription) for Christmas? Now, you shouldn't just randomly buy your wife a treadmill for Christmas, because that's a good way to earn a one way ticket to the couch at night.

I thought it was a very cheesy ad, but from a marketing standpoint, this ad clearly worked.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yeah, I thought that was kind of dumb. Not offensive though.

Edit: The ad says it's the gift that gives back. I wonder what the husband got back? ;););)

Oh I didn't think the ad was offensive just thought it was dumb and annoying.

The husband got to sit on the couch with his hot wife and watch some stupid year long documentary she made about riding an exercise bike lol

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Stupid ad. I mean who the hell is nervous about getting on a bike within your own home. But only a highly insecure person projects their outrage at this. My SO and I agreed both of us would be ecstatic if either of us got this for each other for christmas but then again were fitness freaks

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
While I'm not offended by the ad, I think it would be good if they actually did an ad they said how it works and what it does.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
When the ad initially came out, the stock price jumped up about 5%. Now the social media outrage hits and it drops about 10%.

Is it body-shaming? I guess if you squint really hard you can sorta, kinda see that depending upon if you believe she asked for the bike in the first place. At least she thanks him verbally and not by just gratuitously throwing her body at him, "Thanks for the bike, here's your reward."

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Apparently the people responsible for the video were women. Nothing like women making an ad that makes men look like jack***es.
I thought the woman acted like a hot meth head.

The ad had nothing to do with the stock price.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Dumb ad as others have said, especially her being nervous to get on it.

With that said, #ManufacturedOutrage

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
So this Peloton ad made quite the splash on social media. According to the article linked below, Peloton stock prices were down as much as 10% after the ad hit. Here is the ad:

and here is an article explaining some of the backlash:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/03/business/peloton-bike-ad-stock.html

I guess I think it's a dumb ad (who would take a year long video diary and play it back to their spouse about a damn stationary bike?), but I guess I don't find it offensive. Then again, I've been smart enough to stay away from workout equipment as a present for the wife.

If you can name the product after viewing it is a successful ad.

As for the message, "you've got a year to tighten that up girl otherwise you're out the door," yeah maybe some people would find that off-putting.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron