Texas Southern

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Took off from work to go to the game, knowing it would be torturous with all the shrieking kids. Tried to keep my distance, for all the good it did. Anyway, VERY ugly game, which is to be expected with that kind of D from an opponent. Seems like TSU wore down by the 4th quarter as ISU scored 29 points in that final frame. Liked what I saw from Jade, especially - wish she was younger than a senior because I think she could have learned a lot more with extra time here. Joens was Joens, plus some extra (ok a LOT extra to end up with 30/20). Scott showed up big in the second half. MEM looked better than in the first home game, for sure. Nice to see Fred get minutes in both halves, not just the end. I think she could end up a very good player by the time she's done, honestly. On to the next one...

Edit to add: I didn't realize how much history Joens had made in this game. From the first paragraph of the Cyclones.com write-up:

"Sophomore Ashley Joens put up the first 30-point, 20-rebound performance in school history on Tuesday to lead Iowa State (2-1) to a 79-59 victory over Texas Southern (1-2) at Hilton Coliseum. Joens' 20 rebounds are tied for the third-most in a single game in program history, and her 16 made free throws tied the single-game program mark, set by Angie Welle (vs. Nebraska, '02)."

CY74

Oct 27, 2019
Wise coming off the bench surprised me. Joens seemed off early, possibly trying too hard to carry the team with both Scott and Wise coming off the bench.

Pretty sure I saw Maddie with an ankle boot on at last weeks MBB game. Might have something to do with it. Looked like she was moving around normally today, so maybe minor sprain or just precautionary.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Bill talked about the poor 1st quarter on the post game.Said they wanted to try some new stuff but the D from TSU made them change their mind. Was at the game and as most have said that 1st qtr. was BAD. We held them to less points then they scored against Oregon who is #1 in the polls.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Man, I hope we play better than this on Friday. Dragging a couple ISU friends who have never been to one of our WBB games up to Fargo with me. Would like to have something better than this for them to watch.
That's a long drive. Good luck to the ladies and you.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pretty sure I saw Maddie with an ankle boot on at last weeks MBB game. Might have something to do with it. Looked like she was moving around normally today, so maybe minor sprain or just precautionary.

Molly Parrot said Wise had been sick the last week and they were sorta easing her back into action.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wow = look at those other three Big 12 players she's now in the same category with. Those were some "big time" "difference maker" players. I watched 98% of the games that Crockrum & Griner played and probably watched Paris at least 15 times. Congratulations to Joens.

The Courtney Paris mention reminded me of how far Oklahoma has fallen the last couple of years. What's the buzz on Sherri Coale down your way? I know she shook up the staff some but I am guessing the fans are pretty restless?

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
The Courtney Paris mention reminded me of how far Oklahoma has fallen the last couple of years. What's the buzz on Sherri Coale down your way? I know she shook up the staff some but I am guessing the fans are pretty restless?
Well the buzz down here is that both Coale and Aston are walking over hell on a spiders web. Tx has not renewed Astons contract. This is her last year unless they extend her contract at the end of the season. She has started this season with 2 losses in the first 3 games. I was at the game Sunday between them and AZ. There was a small crowd and quite a bit of talk at halftime about the future of their program. If you read Hornfans you'll notice that even the most loyal have turned on her.

Coale has lost out in recruiting for some reason. Some of the aau coaches say they used to see her regularly at HS games in the Dallas area but no more. For the last three years I have spent a lot of my time visiting with 3 OU families during the Big 12 tournament in OKC. I met these people at Hudsons House in the Brickyard section and we have kept close since. Got a txt from one today in fact. One of these families is a relative of Ana Llanusa which is OU's best player hands down. They say there is tremendous unhappiness amongst most of the players and there parents.They still like Sherri and would prefer for her to stay if she'd go back to her old ways. But they feel she is burned out and it will take a new coach to reverse their fortunes. Oh yes and they all say Sherris son is one of the biggest problems.

Last edited: