I'm not a coach but....(playcalling)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When we have a Top 20 team in yards allowed and gained and yet were just about a 5-5 team. The game was not all that fun as it should have been no where close to a last second game. Our offense had out gained Texas like 220 yds to 45 yds with 45 secs left in the first half. The lines on both sides of the ball dominated Texas and yet we needed a last second field goal to win. And that is with a bunch of seniors on both sides.

I think the inexperience still shows with this staff but I think they are still learning and willing to get better.
Texas had 59 yards in the first half before that final drive. My brother and I were just looking at that before the kick off.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here's Texas' results on 3rd down (6 of 17 overall). What's crazy is that they had 6 third down completions - and 5 of them were in a row (on 2 drives). The other drives they went 1 of 12.

3rd & 7 - incomplete pass
3rd & 5 - sack
3rd & 10 - pass complete - FIRST DOWN
3rd & 5 - incomplete pass
3rd & 3 - run stuffed
3rd & 2 - run stuffed
3rd & 10 - incomplete pass
3rd & 1 - sack
3rd & 11 - incomplete pass
3rd & 5 - pass complete - FIRST DOWN
3rd & 5 - penalty - FIRST DOWN
3rd & 10 - pass complete - TOUCHDOWN
3rd & 1 - pass complete - FIRST DOWN
3rd & 5 - pass complete - FIRST DOWN
3rd & 10 - incomplete pass

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I think Texas did a good job of adjusting to our run game in the second half. There were a lot of times they stuffed Hall for 0 yards or a loss on 1st down, and then we were in obvious passing situations. Purdy overall played great but there were a few throws, especially in the second half, where he missed a couple of guys here and there and then the drive would stall out.

Defensively on 3rd and 35, you should rarely ever send pressure. You play a prevent type defense that's going to not give up a first down. I understand that Texas made a great play, but there was an obvious hold that wasn't called and if Enyi gets to Ehlinger, he'd be throwing that ball under pressure or it would've been a sack. Our defense played pretty great all things considered. I believe I read we held them to 3-and-outs on 50% of their drives.

I disagree a little. I think ISU needs to bring pressure in certain 2nd/3rd and long situations. They played a great game overall. But during key moments on Texas’ go ahead drive they played very passively and allowed A 2nd and 35 and a 4th and goal conversion.

I think the key would be to disguise their pressures and bring 4 maybe 5. They don’t have to “all out blitz” to wreak havoc.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Why do you stop feeding him the rock the entire 2nd half?
Here is the pure idiot part right here. Breece got plenty of carries on the second half. He was getting stuffed. Repeatedly. Again and again. When he’s getting stuffed, you don’t keep going with it.

Look at the box score yourself if you don’t believe me. Not gonna do it for you this time.

I stopped reading after that particular bit of foolishness.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
That's easy. Because it very easily could have been another 1 point devastating loss. And it shouldn't have been in doubt.

This sums it up perfectly!

Yes, we should all be happy..... buy why?? The reason is.... because a FG attempt on the last play of the game went through the uprights.

Had that not happened... there would be pages and pages of people screaming about all the horrible playcalling, etc.... and everyone here knows it.

This staff does an absolute terrible job of closing people out when they should. I was at the game and for 90% of that 1st half, ISU was taking Texas to the woodshed and beating them like a rented mule... and that led to a 10-7 lead for ISU, but Texas taking all the momentum into halftime. How can you allow that to happen?

Here was one of my most frustrating drives of the game we had.....

upload_2019-11-18_17-34-38.png

3rd and 1 on the Texas 31 yd line.... Purdy drops back to pass, and is sacked. Then 4th and 3, Purdy rolled out, nobody open, and he had to just throw it out of bounds. Texas ball.

At this point in the game, Hall was getting about 6-7 yds per carry.... but on 3rd and 1... we pass. Why make the game so much more difficult than it needs to be??

Sure, everyone is happy about the win... me included.... sure beats another 1 pt loss that's for SURE! We would have had 1 pt losses to Iowa, OU, and Texas if that had happened. And of course a 2 pt loss to Baylor. And a miracle fumble recovery by Purdy from losing to UNI.

Some of these games had no business coming down to the last play or series. We had moved the ball up and down the field all day on both UNI and Iowa, and lost one of them and should have lost both.

We were clearly the better football team on the field Saturday night on both sides of the ball, and once again it nearly ended up in a loss.

Yes, love CMC and I'm so glad we have him and hope we can keep him as long as possible.... but this entire staff just HAS to find a way to take advantage of the opportunities they are given throughout a game. And if we want to play like KF and just be happy to eeeek out wins.... you are going to get burned and lose games you have no business losing.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
This season, we all thought that the offense would be weak without Butler and Monte. Kohler and Breece have stepped up. I thought the defense would be carrying the load again, but now we have equal talent on both sides, including coaching. I think overall, our offense is better than ever, including playcalling. Still, there are some plays that have disappeared from the play book: rb screen, read option, rb pitch, bootleg, jet sweep, wildcat formation, RP option. Defensively, it seems like we have plateaued this year. Our defensive strength seems to be our DL and our weakness is our CBs, so maintaining a prevent D is minimizing our strengths and maximizing our weaknesses. Constant blitzing is actually the same issue - putting pressure on our man to man coverages. We actually had a 3 man rush and 1 spy who did nothing in the last Texas drive of the half. Might as well rush 4 and forget the spy. The QB is not going to run with only 43 seconds on the clock to work with. I like our coaches - all of them. They are improving their skills and we are still getting better every week as a team.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Here is the pure idiot part right here. Breece got plenty of carries on the second half. He was getting stuffed. Repeatedly. Again and again. When he’s getting stuffed, you don’t keep going with it.

Look at the box score yourself if you don’t believe me. Not gonna do it for you this time.

Hah! The idiot who made a stupid post and asked to be criticized disliked my post! Sweet!

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX

So the last 2+ mins to run out the clock he had 3 carries in obvious run plays that got shut down...and other than that had 7 carries for 21 yards. One of which was a busted play for -5. So 6 carries for 26 is still averaging 4+ per carry. The reason us "fools complain" is because we are at the top of the league in offense and defense and are just over .500 due to questionable coaching calls at critical points in the game. If texas didnt bail us out with an offside, narveson misses and we are 5-5.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
My only minor gripe against Manning is our lack of a screen game. I think a few good TE screen plays would be great when the opposition brings a blitz.

I guess being a Chiefs fan, no one designs a better screen game than Andy Reid. Wonder why we can't steal some plays.

Line is too inconsistent. Plus **** this thread. Pathetic people that have never played at any kind of level over 2-A Iowa HS sports.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This season, we all thought that the offense would be weak without Butler and Monte. Kohler and Breece have stepped up. I thought the defense would be carrying the load again, but now we have equal talent on both sides, including coaching. I think overall, our offense is better than ever, including playcalling. Still, there are some plays that have disappeared from the play book: rb screen, read option, rb pitch, bootleg, jet sweep, wildcat formation, RP option. Defensively, it seems like we have plateaued this year. Our defensive strength seems to be our DL and our weakness is our CBs, so maintaining a prevent D is minimizing our strengths and maximizing our weaknesses. Constant blitzing is actually the same issue - putting pressure on our man to man coverages. We actually had a 3 man rush and 1 spy who did nothing in the last Texas drive of the half. Might as well rush 4 and forget the spy. The QB is not going to run with only 43 seconds on the clock to work with. I like our coaches - all of them. They are improving their skills and we are still getting better every week as a team.
I think the offense is getting there, but saying the offense and coaching has caught up to the defense is crazy talk. Teams inside and out of the conference have been watching and implementing what Heacock has done. Yet ISU is still holding most teams to one of their lowest point totals of the year week in and week out. The offense is putting up yards but scoring in the 20s a lot.
Manning is still learning and is going to be a good OC here. He hasn't caught up to Heacock though. Not that there's any shame in that.

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX

Yes, we should all be happy..... buy why?? The reason is.... because a FG attempt on the last play of the game went through the uprights.

Had that not happened... there would be pages and pages of people screaming about all the horrible playcalling, etc.... and everyone here knows it.

This staff does an absolute terrible job of closing people out when they should. I was at the game and for 90% of that 1st half, ISU was taking Texas to the woodshed and beating them like a rented mule... and that led to a 10-7 lead for ISU, but Texas taking all the momentum into halftime. How can you allow that to happen?

View attachment 68710

3rd and 1 on the Texas 31 yd line.... Purdy drops back to pass, and is sacked. Then 4th and 3, Purdy rolled out, nobody open, and he had to just throw it out of bounds. Texas ball.

At this point in the game, Hall was getting about 6-7 yds per carry.... but on 3rd and 1... we pass. Why make the game so much more difficult than it needs to be??

Sure, everyone is happy about the win... me included.... sure beats another 1 pt loss that's for SURE! We would have had 1 pt losses to Iowa, OU, and Texas if that had happened. And of course a 2 pt loss to Baylor. And a miracle fumble recovery by Purdy from losing to UNI.

Some of these games had no business coming down to the last play or series. We had moved the ball up and down the field all day on both UNI and Iowa, and lost one of them and should have lost both.

We were clearly the better football team on the field Saturday night on both sides of the ball, and once again it nearly ended up in a loss.

Yes, love CMC and I'm so glad we have him and hope we can keep him as long as possible.... but this entire staff just HAS to find a way to take advantage of the opportunities they are given throughout a game. And if we want to play like KF and just be happy to eeeek out wins.... you are going to get burned and lose games you have no business losing.

Couldn't agree more.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Sure sometimes Manning throws too much, and sure sometimes Heacock gets a little too soft but overall they have the right idea. We have good players, we don't have amazing players, and mental mistakes are magnified when you can't make it up physically. Many times, coaches feel forced to scheme a certain way to avoid mistakes and catastrophic error. Sometimes coaches get lost in the fog of war during a game. No one's perfect, and there's always room for growth.

Reactions: JBone84

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Yeah, for some reason in short yardage situations and in the opponents red zone, Manning decides to get cute and force a weird play when we should just line up and shove it down their throat. We haven't done that consistently since we had the Lan-Ram package. Trust the O-line when you have momentum.

We're arguing about this because it has been the difference in a few close games.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

View attachment 68710

I also wasn't a huge fan of that playcalling sequence, but I'd characterize it a bit differently. On third down, Purdy rolled out and the plan was that either he could pass it to Soehner or run for the first down. Once Purdy was getting chased down, he should have either tried to get it to Soehner with a catchable ball or just chucked it at his feet. There was no reason for him to take the sack there. The staff obviously knew they were going to go for it on fourth down if it got there, and I'm guessing they were planning on a run if it had still been 4th and 1.

I don't think that Iowa State fans will ever be satisfied by offensive playcalling. Right now it's complaining about not going with what works, like running the ball on third and short. But in the past there's been instances of complaining about being too predictable, which I'm guessing would also be the case if we would have run it in some of those situations and been stuffed.

Watching the game back last night I really felt like the stalled drives, especially in the second half, tended to be a lack of execution rather than bad playcalling. Maybe I'm just biased in favor of the coaches, but I'd think that others would come to the same conclusion if they looked back at those stalled out drives.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone and flycy

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Line is too inconsistent. Plus **** this thread. Pathetic people that have never played at any kind of level over 2-A Iowa HS sports.

Hey, my 2-A NICL conference champ past takes issue with this. I think I was just as awesome as some 5* Texas player.

The "fog of war" takes over in a football game. Every play I have ever called on the sidelines works great because it never actually has to get executed. I have some of the same concerns, but at the same time realize I am probably full of ****. You people need to back off and enjoy the improvement in recruiting, execution, and winning. You know Mr. Mensa isn't a complete idiot and those 5* players are probably more talented than our players. We have a record setting offense and quarterback, yet every week people are whining about the offense and coaches. You need the stars to align to win championships especially when you have inherent disadvantages. ISU has been unlucky this year and will still win around 8-9 games. That is remarkable improvement. Don't become Hawk fans please.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hey, my 2-A NICL conference champ past takes issue with this. I think I was just as awesome as some 5* Texas player.

The "fog of war" takes over in a football game. Every play I have ever called on the sidelines works great because it never actually has to get executed. I have some of the same concerns, but at the same time realize I am probably full of ****. You people need to back off and enjoy the improvement in recruiting, execution, and winning. You know Mr. Mensa isn't a complete idiot and those 5* players are probably more talented than our players. We have a record setting offense and quarterback, yet every week people are whining about the offense and coaches. You need the stars to align to win championships especially when you have inherent disadvantages. ISU has been unlucky this year and will still win around 8-9 games. That is remarkable improvement. Don't become Hawk fans please.

It bothers me that we think we think we’re “exceptional” in things not going our way.

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
My only complaint was calling the timeout on our last drive before half on 3rd and 9. We didn't convert and gave Texas time to score. They still shouldn't have scored that quick, but they did.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron