LAZARD TO HAVE A BIGGER ROLE?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Tom Silverstein, in today's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, writes about ways the Packers can augment their offense going forward and says this:

WR Allen Lazard (18 catches, 220 yards, 12.2 average, one TD): Whether it’s because of injury or a poor offensive fit, Geronimo Allison and Marquez Valdes-Scantling have not had good years. Lazard has. After coming off the practice squad in Week 6, he caught 4 passes for 45 yards and a touchdown, then followed that with games of 3-for-42, 5-for-42, 3-for-44 and 3-for-27. In that same period, Valdez-Scantling has five catches for 185 yards and a touchdown and Allison has 13 catches for 107 yards.

Of course, finding a way to get the speedy Valdes-Scantling the ball down the field is crucial, but he doesn’t look like he’s 100%, and he still hasn’t proved he can do anything but run deep routes.

“I think we’ve got to look critically at ourselves and what we’re asking him to do and making sure we’re putting him in position to get some of those balls because he does have great talent,” LaFleur said.

The 6-5, 227-pound Lazard might not be as physically gifted, but he has a higher catch percentage (75% of the times he’s targeted) than any other wide receiver on the team and consistently posts yards after the catch. Not only that, he’s the best run blocker among the receivers and is an asset both on runs and passes.

He should be the No. 3 receiver moving forward.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
To be honest, I don't know why some of the offenses just don't try to get back to the days of where Wrs were big and muscling themselves down the field. Who says all teams have to have speed and run fly routes like the chiefs and last years rams? It'd be cool to see his role continue to grow, Adams made his increase. I do eventually need to get a Lazard jersey one of these days.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Honestly Lazard should be considered the WR2 on the Packers right now behind Adams. MVS and Allison have a lot of talent but have not been consistent. Kumerow has shown some flashes, but I think Lazard’s blocking ability should put him ahead of all those guys. And most importantly, Rodgers seems to trust him and has been targeting him frequently the past few weeks. It’s been a fun year being a Packers fan watching him play a key role on the team.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I feel like some of the coaches and GMs are out-thinking themselves in pursuit of finding the next Julio Jones or Larry Fitzgerald.

Every team needs a mix of speed and height. It just seems obvious to me that having a 6'5" guy with good receiver attributes instead of TE, is a good thing to have on your team.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and GTO

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I feel like some of the coaches and GMs are out-thinking themselves in pursuit of finding the next Julio Jones or Larry Fitzgerald.

Every team needs a mix of speed and height. It just seems obvious to me that having a 6'5" guy with good receiver attributes instead of TE, is a good thing to have on your team.
This bears repeating. I don't understand trying to have a cookie cutter receiving core. Different talent combinations are going to be effective against different defenses. It isn't like they line up and play against one team's defense sixteen Sundays in a row.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It just seems obvious to me that having a 6'5" guy with good receiver attributes instead of TE, is a good thing to have on your team.
Separation and hands were a concern. Those are quite important.

I’m not surprised he didn’t go in the first several rounds, but I figured a few teams would take a chance late. His blocking and size alone should have justified that. With a good QB and OC, Lazard is very valuable.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I don't know the Packers offense real well but for most teams the formations and routes for the #2 aren't going to fit Lazard's skillset real well. He's more valuable on the line of scrimmage either opposite a TE or without a TE.
I don’t view that as a position. I view that as a ranking.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The Packers have almost been treating him as WR2. He is just a couple of snaps a game behind Allison, and has been ahead of MVS/Kumerow by quite a bit.

Reactions: Scott34

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I got all psyched to watch to see if he would have a bigger role on Sunday and then discovered that the Packers have a bye week.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
AL has already done the most important thing - he has earned Rodgers' trust. And that means Rodgers will look for him in scramble situations, because he knows that 1) Lazard will figure out a way to get open and 2) He will catch the ball.

This was Randall Cobb's primary job for years, now it belongs to Allen. I'm expecting his role to grow by leaps and bounds.