Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Maybe my ears were clogged with fuzz from my hat after shoveling snow, but I thought I heard Xavier say one of the reasons he chose ISU was a connection with Tyrese. We are all assuming Tyrese leaves after this year (and I support him doing so if he is a first round pick).

However, what if Tyrese stays because he loves school, wants to potentially become a lottery pick, or want to play with Xavier? One can dream . . . .

PG: Tyrese, Jackson
SG: Bolton, Grill
3-5: Xavier, Solo, Zion, Conditt (in no particular order)

That is a solid eight man rotation!

Indy here we come! ;)
I think it's going to be very hard for Prohm to keep Dubar/Blackwell off the court next year. Both are very long and tremendous athletes. Also forgetting that Javan Johnson (another 6'7" long guard) will be pushing for minutes at the 3/4 as well. Either way Coach Prohm has put us in a great position for the future.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think it's going to be very hard for Prohm to keep Dubar/Blackwell off the court next year. Both are very long and tremendous athletes. Also forgetting that Javan Johnson (another 6'7" long guard) will be pushing for minutes at the 3/4 as well. Either way Coach Prohm has put us in a great position for the future.
6’5” Combo guards like Walker that can shoot and handle tend to see the court, too.

Hell of a class

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
What's the impression on shooting for this group? I know Foster can hit some threes but I have no idea on his accuracy. The other three seem more like slashers in the videos.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
What's the impression on shooting for this group? I know Foster can hit some threes but I have no idea on his accuracy. The other three seem more like slashers in the videos.

Walker will be a good mid range and outside shooter imo. His shot mechanics look good.

Blackwell and Dubar's shooting will require more development. Though I think Blackwell's physical tools and athleticism will allow for him to have an immediate impact regardless.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Last night's game was a perfect example of how slashers can open a game up...Northern Illinois was aggressively pushing the perimeter out in the first half, pushing our shooters further out. All this does is open up passing lanes and open space for the slashers to either cut to the hoop or dole out an assist to a big man as the defense reacts to the penetration. This and subsequent teams are going to be fun to watch!!!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Scouts have pegged Dubar as a scorer. In his highlight videos, he has a pretty quick release and because of his size, it's tough to guard. He can also take it to the basket really well though. It's tough for true freshman to come in and immediately be as good of a shooter as they were in high school, and it's going to be even more tough because of the 3-point line being moved back even farther.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011

I am not sure on the other members of the class, but I think everyone may need to temper their expectations of Foster as a shooter (he may have the potential to be good). He shot 28% from 3, and 52% from the FT line last year in high school. Sometimes high school stats are not 100% accurate, but those aren't exactly the most encouraging shooting numbers if they are accurate.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I don’t think it’s great but that doesn’t appear to be the direction that Prohm is taking this program. It’s going to be slashing, driving, transition on offense. Length and shot blocking on the defensive side.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don’t think it’s great but that doesn’t appear to be the direction that Prohm is taking this program. It’s going to be slashing, driving, transition on offense. Length and shot blocking on the defensive side.

I picture Tennessee from last year

• Optimistic
Reactions: tyler24

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I am not sure on the other members of the class, but I think everyone may need to temper their expectations of Foster as a shooter (he may have the potential to be good). He shot 28% from 3, and 52% from the FT line last year in high school. Sometimes high school stats are not 100% accurate, but those aren't exactly the most encouraging shooting numbers if they are accurate.
Yes, he’s not going to be Georges in Game 1.
I believe Prohm said he had a “confident” 3P shot. Careful wording by CSP.

I do think it’s a reasonable goal that he develops into a capable outside shooter. Jacobson hopefully has, Nader and Ejim did.

If he works like a pro, he’ll be a pro imo.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yes, he’s not going to be Georges in Game 1.
I believe Prohm said he had a “confident” 3P shot. Careful wording by CSP.

I do think it’s a reasonable goal that he develops into a capable outside shooter. Jacobson hopefully has, Nader and Ejim did.

If he works like a pro, he’ll be a pro imo.

I picture Foster turning into something similar that Austin kid from Baylor a few years ago

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

SEC basketball...

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I wonder if the 3 point shot will have less importance now with the longer 3 point line. The past 9-10 years, you pretty much HAD to shoot 3's to win. If percentages drop enough, the game might start moving back towards emphasizing post play and getting to the basket. I thought that might happen the last time they moved it back though, and that didn't happen, so I'm probably wrong.

I like to see us play inside-out more like we did last night, since Conditt, Jacobson and Young are all capable scorers in the post, and we are not a good shooting team.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Xavier has good form and has at least shot from 3 in high school. The potential is there for him to develop into the NBA stretch PF. He can still be a threat and space the paint by hitting at the 1/4 of his threes which right away at his position in additon to his low post rebounding and blocking skills to play right away. 28% for a guard is concerning, but not bad for a 7' low post player.

Your right that we shouldn't expect him to be a Georges type PF to start (he wasn't either as a frosh). Hopefully he can develop that to the 35% or above after a few years.

Reactions: cyfan21

Help Support Us

Become a patron