Grill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm sort of surprised by the reaction to Grill so far. I'm excited about his future, but I think he looks extremely uncomfortable on the court right now (when he's not shooting.) Not a knock on him, because that's what I'd expect given the jump from HS to ISU.

edit: I should clarify, I think he just needs experience and he'll relax out there which will allow him to reach his potential. Maybe that happens this year in non-con. But I'm confident it will happen.
He's not comfortable handling the ball, but he looks fine doing everything else.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Has a little ways to go on D, but like his offensive game which this team could use...I will say while Jackson has struggled shooting Ive been very impressed with his D...

Grill has flashed athleticism and was able to hit a couple of 3's and considering last night that is something. CG was swimming a bit on Defense, and getting over pursuing and getting out of position like most freshman would be 3 games in. I can see him gaining minutes later in the year once the game slows down some for him. Him getting playing time this NonCon is important to lower the learning curve.

Tre is comfortably in front of him in the guard rotation today. He's played good on ball and the staff has rewarded him playing over Grill to this point. I don't see that changing soon. Tre will hit 3's soon, he has his entire life. Much like Caleb on defense I think he's rushing a bit right now one he sees a few go in they'll come in bunches.

Both freshman look like Big 12 players and are worthy top 8 rotation which is pretty good to see this early.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Grill has flashed athleticism and was able to hit a couple of 3's and considering last night that is something. CG was swimming a bit on Defense, and getting over pursuing and getting out of position like most freshman would be 3 games in. I can see him gaining minutes later in the year once the game slows down some for him. Him getting playing time this NonCon is important to lower the learning curve.

Tre is comfortably in front of him in the guard rotation today. He's played good on ball and the staff has rewarded him playing over Grill to this point. I don't see that changing soon. Tre will hit 3's soon, he has his entire life. Much like Caleb on defense I think he's rushing a bit right now one he sees a few go in they'll come in bunches.

Both freshman look like Big 12 players and are worthy top 8 rotation which is pretty good to see this early.
I've been very impressed with Tre's defense so far. On offense he seems to be pressing a little bit but he'll figure it out. Grill will continue to get minutes as long as he keeps making plays and shots on offense. His defense will continue to get better, but I really like those two off the bench.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Zion usually comes in to play the 4 and Grill comes in at the 2-3 guard spot. So Grill isn't really taking any minutes away from Zion.

He would be if they had Bolton, Hali, Nixon, and Grill with just one big like Prohm talked about in the preseason.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
He would be if they had Bolton, Hali, Nixon, and Grill with just one big like Prohm talked about in the preseason.

We could see that line up for short minutes to run and gun... but I doubt it'll be often due to the size limitations on def and rebounding. Plus Zion looks the part of PF and working hard on both ends he's earned minutes. Plus he has hit some 3's too, there is no reason to go away from Zion to force in a 4 guard lineup.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We could see that line up for short minutes to run and gun... but I doubt it'll be often due to the size limitations on def and rebounding. Plus Zion looks the part of PF and working hard on both ends he's earned minutes. Plus he has hit some 3's too, there is no reason to go away from Zion to force in a 4 guard lineup.
Doubtful it’s that definitive yet. It could take some time away from the two big lineup, as well as the Zion lineup.

We’re susceptible to defensive and rebounding issues with two bigs, too, largely due ball screen defense. Zion’s got a great opportunity to get playing time as the small-ball four defensively, but he’s not preventing a four guard lineup if Jackson or Grill start to progress like freshmen tend to do.

Four guards wouldn’t be “forced” as much as it’s a different option, which is likely why Prohm has discussed it a couple times.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Nobody is talking about him stealing minutes from Zion too. I like Zion bit his game looks similar to last year. Not blown away I’m saying.

I thought Zion really battled on the boards last night, but man....that shot is still such a line drive.
But....he did make 1 more three than all but one of his teammates. :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Miller_Cy_Life

Jun 19, 2018
His game actually reminds me more of Naz than Matt. Not sure Matt had the athleticism to finish that play last night (where Tyrese dove for a tip out under the hoop on the inbounds). Tyrese rightfully gets more credit for that play, but wasn't an easy finish by any means

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I hope they practice anticipating that grill will be a regular rotation guy and give him a little more go VS USM. Having an extra guy playing quality minutes will really help out during the back to back battle 4 Atlantis games.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
His game actually reminds me more of Naz than Matt. Not sure Matt had the athleticism to finish that play last night (where Tyrese dove for a tip out under the hoop on the inbounds). Tyrese rightfully gets more credit for that play, but wasn't an easy finish by any means
That play needs to end up on ESPN's top 10

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
He is 3 of 4 from 3 for the season and he looks pretty confident when he shoots. He also seems aggressive on the floor. It's way to early to make any assumptions based on what we've seen but if the rest of the team keeps shooting like they have and he keeps shooting like he has I don't know how you don't put him out there.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Actually, Scotty is a thug, the original thug. I don't think Grill is a thug. Jacobsen, he is definitely a thug. We need more thugs.

4d030ffb624b5.image.jpg