Grill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We go through this every year. He’s probably going to be that 8/9 guy and won’t play much once conference rolls around if past history is anything to go by.

He could definitely become a guy that Prohm can’t keep off the floor, but I’d say that is less likely than the scenario above.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think there is going to be an open competition for that 8th spot between Jackson and Grill. I do not think one has separated from the other so far.

Jackson might have been ahead coming out of practice, but Grill has shown plenty in games where I do not think you have a clear ranking of them now.

So we will see. I am enjoying watching those two young guards.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
We'll see. It was one non-con game against an overmatched opponent and maybe he stuck out even more because he was the only guy who could knock down a three last night.

But having said that, he flashed some athleticism and shotmaking and played with a lot of effort. And the jump from a small-ish high school program to a P6 program doesn't look like it's too much for him. For the most part he looked like he belonged out there.

If he continues to surprise and forces his way into a spot in the rotation, awesome. If not, no big deal. There are plenty of capable players on the roster now.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think there is going to be an open competition for that 8th spot between Jackson and Grill. I do not think one has separated from the other so far.

Jackson might have been ahead coming out of practice, but Grill has shown plenty in games where I do not think you have a clear ranking of them now.

So we will see. I am enjoying watching those two young guards.

Yep. Even if one or both of them don't end up playing that much it'll be nice to have some quality depth in case of injury or whatever. Both look like they have a bright future in Ames.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I seem to remember reading that the coaches said he had a little catching up to do just because he was a multi-sport athlete in high school that didn't focus solely on basketball. My guess is that he will slowly work his way into the rotation.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I'm sort of surprised by the reaction to Grill so far. I'm excited about his future, but I think he looks extremely uncomfortable on the court right now (when he's not shooting.) Not a knock on him, because that's what I'd expect given the jump from HS to ISU.

edit: I should clarify, I think he just needs experience and he'll relax out there which will allow him to reach his potential. Maybe that happens this year in non-con. But I'm confident it will happen.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We go through this every year. He’s probably going to be that 8/9 guy and won’t play much once conference rolls around if past history is anything to go by.

He could definitely become a guy that Prohm can’t keep off the floor, but I’d say that is less likely than the scenario above.

If everyone else keeps shooting like this he's going to have to play. Teams will just start packing it in on us.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If everyone else keeps shooting like this he's going to have to play. Teams will just start packing it in on us.
Agree.

This isn’t comparable to previous seasons, other than Prohm may have a somewhat arbitrary rotation number, which results in guys that get DNPs can later start and get major minutes, or the reverse.

Look at the the bench in “front” of him. There’s only one other guard, but not prohibitively ahead of him. The other two consists of a center and a limited 6’6” power forward.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I like his confidence as a shooter and the fact that the shots he took last night weren't forced, they were good shots that came from him being where he was supposed to be on the floor. I honestly had no expectations for him this year, so he's a pleasant early surprise but its just one game, one half really, hopefully he can build on it.

The other thing I was kind of surprised with is how ready he looks physically. I pictured him as more of a lean, lanky, track kind of build. He's got a big 12 body.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It looks like he can score and has some athletic skills, but in the end, how he plays defense will determine how much he plays. I have only seen a couple clips of him on offense, so I have no idea how well he defends. Prohm does not need a guy that just shoots 3s.

• Agree
Reactions: Bestaluckcy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm sort of surprised by the reaction to Grill so far. I'm excited about his future, but I think he looks extremely uncomfortable on the court right now (when he's not shooting.) Not a knock on him, because that's what I'd expect given the jump from HS to ISU.

edit: I should clarify, I think he just needs experience and he'll relax out there which will allow him to reach his potential. Maybe that happens this year in non-con. But I'm confident it will happen.

My impression is that he looks very comfortable out there. I guess these are both only impressions, but compared to many freshmen I've seen, he blends right into the lineup.