Sued For Telling a Kid to Slide

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I don't understand how the simple act of sliding could have caused this extensive of an injury. I have a feeling that something went terribly wrong in the treatment after the injury. His injury wasn't handled right at the hospital.

I have a friend who was badly injured riding around in a 4-wheeler. His foot was 98% of the way to being completely severed from his leg. It was hanging on by just a one ligament. The trauma center considered amputating it the rest of the way, but were able to save his foot by some miracle. He spent many months in a hospital, and a couple of years of physical therapy, but now you can barely see the tiniest limp as he walks. He can even run short distances. I don't know how my friend can make such a tremendous recovery from a near-severing of his foot, while this kid will be affected for life by a slide.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Read the whole thing and I agree with the coach. That would be the end of high school sports if you could sue for that stuff.

It doesn't seem like it ever got that close. I mean yeah, the case dragged on for four years but in the end the jury was almost unanimous right away according to one of the jurors and they ultimately got it right after two hours of deliberation. The suit does strike me as frivolous and a money grab and I feel bad for the kid, but he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Sorry, I had to do it.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can an attorney be sued for slander? They just tried to make this guy look like a monster.

Can the defendant come after the plaintiff for defense and court costs? I doubt they would since as I understand it the insurance company is the one who shelled out the money, but could they?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can an attorney be sued for slander? They just tried to make this guy look like a monster.

I think they can, but not if the accusations are made in the courtroom and therefore protected as privileged statements. If they could then you could never have a trial because no witness or attorney for either side would want to speak up for fear of getting sued. I don't know; I'm basing this on one small section of a class I took almost a year ago.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's time to put lawyers on a rocket and send them to outer space

Let them all colonize the moon or Mars. Just never let them come back.

I really hope he counter sued and got money for all his legal fees and the time / worry spent over being sued.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I don't understand how the simple act of sliding could have caused this extensive of an injury. I have a feeling that something went terribly wrong in the treatment after the injury. His injury wasn't handled right at the hospital.

I have a friend who was badly injured riding around in a 4-wheeler. His foot was 98% of the way to being completely severed from his leg. It was hanging on by just a one ligament. The trauma center considered amputating it the rest of the way, but were able to save his foot by some miracle. He spent many months in a hospital, and a couple of years of physical therapy, but now you can barely see the tiniest limp as he walks. He can even run short distances. I don't know how my friend can make such a tremendous recovery from a near-severing of his foot, while this kid will be affected for life by a slide.

every bad outcome isn’t a doctor’s fault.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think they can, but not if the accusations are made in the courtroom and therefore protected as privileged statements. If they could then you could never have a trial because no witness or attorney for either side would want to speak up for fear of getting sued. I don't know; I'm basing this on one small section of a class I took almost a year ago.

I understand what you are saying but if they are throwing out blatant falsehoods in court they should still be liable.

For example: so and so cheated on his wife therefore he must have killed her, but there is no shred of evidence he even considered cheating on his wife.

• Agree
Reactions: tyler24

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
@CloneLawman, does this qualify as assault?

Follow-up question: Could I possibly be entitled to some of the settlement against Pride if it does?
No not an assault. Not specific enough, nor coupled with the apparent ability to execute the threat.

It is a bit over-broad, as not all lawyers are ambulance chasers or otherwise scuzzy plaintiff's attorneys.

Mostly it seems like protected speech. I think we will need to determine an alternative basis of recovery against Pride.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron