PS Vue Going Away

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Amazon should pick up PsVue and rebrand it, or create a live tv streaming service of their own that pairs with Prime using a similar interface to PsVue (the guide in particular). PsVue's interface is the best of all services when paired with Sony or Amazon devices. I've had PsVue for 5ish years and am bummed it is going away. I will probably try Yttv again to see if it has improved since its release. Does yttv have all 4 main espns, fs1, nbatv, and NFL Network? Thanks in advance

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Amazon should pick up PsVue and rebrand it, or create a live tv streaming service of their own that pairs with Prime using a similar interface to PsVue (the guide in particular). PsVue's interface is the best of all services when paired with Sony or Amazon devices. I've had PsVue for 5ish years and am bummed it is going away. I will probably try Yttv again to see if it has improved since its release. Does yttv have all 4 main espns, fs1, nbatv, and NFL Network? Thanks in advance
Theoretically, that could still happen. Amazon was mentioned as a potential suitor when Sony announced Vue was up for grabs. And now that they've announced a drop-dead date, maybe another company could swoop in and low-ball them.

Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Switched from 15 years of DirecTV everything package to Hulu Live (plus no ads and extra DVR) and liking it. For about 30% of the price, I still get everything I need, everything I want, and it’s been more stable. Helps we’re on true active gigabit fiber but couldn’t be happier.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA

For sports YTTV has all 4 ESPN's, FS1, FS2, Regional Fox Sports, Regional NBCSports, CBS Sports, NBATV, ACCNetwork, Big 10 Network, SEC Network. Missing NFL Network.

• Informative
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I had sling and psvue for a long time and switched to youtubetv early this year: the android/roku interface blows the other two services out of the water

You don't get whotv, but NBC is kind of there: if there's a show you want to watch, you can add it to your list and it will get record (seems to be coming from a different region/station)

DSMdadclone

Dec 21, 2017
They all look like the channels would work for me, I'm sad because my PS4 to my receiver via optical out gave me Dolby Digital 5.1 with vue. To me the sound is at least 40% of the enjoyment. I can't have the same setup from my PS4 (since the apps for Hulu live or Yttv aren't on the PS4) so now I'm stuck reading and trying to figure out what has the channels I want AND how to get an optical out to my receiver. Most of my reading has been live channels on most DON'T offer 5.1 Dolby Digital (everyone only has a sound bar I guess). Boo, that sucks. I have found a Roku ultra from 2016 that has optical out so good news is the trial I can try to see who also has the best sound. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
How is the DVR experience on YTTV and Hulu TV? I realize YTTV has significantly better storage (unlimited for 9 months), but what about the playback experience for sports events on each provider?
  • If you try to start watching a game that has already started, will they both allow you to start from the beginning without needing to rewind?
  • Can you fast forward through commercials if the game hasn't finished yet?
  • Will it let you pause as long as you want, if the game hasn't finished yet?
With Vue, the DVR worked great if the recording was completely finished (after the game was over). But jumping in mid-game had some issues.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
How is the DVR experience on YTTV and Hulu TV? I realize YTTV has significantly better storage (unlimited for 9 months), but what about the playback experience for sports events on each provider?
  • If you try to start watching a game that has already started, will they both allow you to start from the beginning without needing to rewind?
  • Can you fast forward through commercials if the game hasn't finished yet?
  • Will it let you pause as long as you want, if the game hasn't finished yet?
With Vue, the DVR worked great if the recording was completely finished (after the game was over). But jumping in mid-game had some issues.

The YTTV DVR is the closest to the cable/dish DVR's that I've had in the past. Unlimited storage, easy and fast skip ahead in 15, 30 and 60 second intervals. You can start a recording from Live or from the start, which is great for sports, unlimited pause. I think the recording is easier than my Dish Hopper, because there's no need to ever set a timer, just add Iowa State Football or Boston Celtics to the library and every game is automatically recorded, regardless of the channel it is on, with no cut off for overun. I really like it.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
They all look like the channels would work for me, I'm sad because my PS4 to my receiver via optical out gave me Dolby Digital 5.1 with vue. To me the sound is at least 40% of the enjoyment. I can't have the same setup from my PS4 (since the apps for Hulu live or Yttv aren't on the PS4) so now I'm stuck reading and trying to figure out what has the channels I want AND how to get an optical out to my receiver. Most of my reading has been live channels on most DON'T offer 5.1 Dolby Digital (everyone only has a sound bar I guess). Boo, that sucks. I have found a Roku ultra from 2016 that has optical out so good news is the trial I can try to see who also has the best sound. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, finding a service and hardware combo to support DD 5.1 is challenging. YTTV does not do 5.1 on Roku, but I have heard that YTTV supports is over other hardware. Never tried my XBix to confirm though.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
YTTV's DVR is vastly superior to Hulu.

You should only concider Hulu over YTTV if it has a different channel you want like History, you already have hulu, or if you want the hulu library.

• Agree
Reactions: shawn_200m

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Is it normal for YTTV to eat up ALL of my bandwidth? I've got a pretty new router and we have pretty solid internet. About 9pm, YTTV gets fuzzy and slows absolutely everything connected to the internet. The sound lags behind the video by a split second, I can't watch any videos on my phone without it affecting the TV...never had this problem with Vue.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Forgive me if I missed it but when does this free month of YouTube TV happen? I'm seeing trial periods of a week.

upload_2019-11-4_11-42-52-png.68192

Reactions: Trice

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron