PS Vue Going Away

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I switched to YoutubeTV for a month free trial earlier this fall and actually liked the interface and recording tools much better than PSVue. However, I couldn't get NFLRedZone and that is a deal-breaker because of my Fantasy Football addiction. I tried the DirectTV RedZone for a week and was not the same without Scott Hansen. I guess if this news is true I'll switch back to YoutubeTV and hope something gets figured out before next season.

Reactions: cyfanatic

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Looking at reddit, someone commented that YTTV has NBC live, but when local programming comes on, it switches to other programming. Is this accurate?
Correct, you wouldn’t be able to watch local news. If there is a sporting event on NBC that you want to watch, you can log in via the NBC Sports App, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Cybyassociation

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I tried them all and, IMO, PS Vue was best for sports fans. (We have YTTV because of the better DVR and rest of my family liked it better.)

I truly believe PS Vue's failure was in large part due to poor marketing. Almost everyone I talked to about cord cutting assumed from the name you had to have a Playstation. Many people did not even consider it because of that.

I read an article a while back in which shareholders were urging Sony to change the name to Sony Vue. I really think that would have made made a difference. That said, I'm not sure Sony was really committed to it.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I tried them all and, IMO, PS Vue was best for sports fans. (We have YTTV because of the better DVR and rest of my family liked it better.)

I truly believe PS Vue's failure was in large part due to poor marketing. Almost everyone I talked to about cord cutting assumed from the name you had to have a Playstation. Many people did not even consider it because of that.

I read an article a while back in which shareholders were urging Sony to change the name to Sony Vue. I really think that would have made made a difference. That said, I'm not sure Sony was really committed to it.
I really enjoyed the layout of Vue as well. IMO it truly was the best streaming service and it sucks they didn't put more resources behind it.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeCy

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I was a long time subscriber, but moved to YouTubeTV a couple months ago. Got tired of the price hikes, even though it was the same price as YTTV.

I've been happy with YTTV, especially since they released the app for fire TV. Biggest difference is the length of time your DVR stores shows. With PSVue, I often wouldn't have time to watch shows before they were gone.

LOL, what? I was upset that they raised their price to the same level as their competitor, so I switched to their competitor?

I initially was a little weary of the PS Vue DVR only keeping recordings for a month. I've realized though, that if I don't get to them within a whole month anyway I'm probably not too concerned about whatever I recorded.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
To be clear, YT Premium is separate from YTTV, correct?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Correct, you wouldn’t be able to watch local news. If there is a sporting event on NBC that you want to watch, you can log in via the NBC Sports App, though.

That might be in some markets...in eastern Iowa we get the local programming on KWWL through YTTV. In fact, we get all of the local programming from the big 4 networks in this market.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
I have YouTubeTV, great for sports, has all the ESPN's, FS1 &2 and several FoxSports and NBCSports regional channels, plus NBATV. I really like the DVR and it automatically records every Cyclones, Packers and Celtics game for me without ever having to set up individual timers and never cuts off a game early due to time overrun. We also have Philo for my daughter since it has Nickelodeon and A&E for my wife.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I went Hulu.

Enjoy it for live TV but not really sure their library does anything for me. Maybe I just haven't explored enough.

Saved By the Bell: The College Years is fun, but....

Reactions: cyfanatic

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Looking at reddit, someone commented that YTTV has NBC live, but when local programming comes on, it switches to other programming. Is this accurate?
Looks like someone else answered your question, but I don't even have that NBC stream in my guide. I have a Mohu Leaf behind my TV and switch to the antenna for Sunday Night Football, then go back to forgetting NBC exists

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Depends where you live. YTTV has all local channels in my market.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I just was charged for the next cycle of Vue ... and then canceled. Oh Well.

I'll look for a month of free YTTV in a few weeks. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Looks like someone else answered your question, but I don't even have that NBC stream in my guide. I have a Mohu Leaf behind my TV and switch to the antenna for Sunday Night Football, then go back to forgetting NBC exists
We tried a few antennas and for whatever reason we can't get NBC out in the Cumming area. No idea what's up with that, but it's really frustrating.

• Agree
Reactions: Bader

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I just was charged for the next cycle of Vue ... and then canceled. Oh Well.

I'll look for a month of free YTTV in a few weeks. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Forgive me if I missed it but when does this free month of YouTube TV happen? I'm seeing trial periods of a week.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Forgive me if I missed it but when does this free month of YouTube TV happen? I'm seeing trial periods of a week.

I believe the standard free trial is a week with YTTV. Occasionally they offer a promotion with a longer free trial period. In September they offered a 3 week free trial period that coincided with the start of the NFL season. During October I was offered a code to send to two "friends" that was a 2 week free trial (that period ended in mid-October). So...I do believe the trials that are longer than a week come and go.

• Useful
Reactions: Trice

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Used Sling for a couple years and liked it generally, but recently jumped to YouTubeTV and like it even more. Mostly due to (1) local channels (2) DVR capability (3) no restrictions on multiple streams. Also has B1G channel which has a lot of college wrestling.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Looks like I will be making the switch over to YTTV (likely) or Hulu + Live, since I've heard some less than stellar experiences with Sling and AT&T TV Now. Gonna ride the rest of the football season out with PSVue though to keep NFL Network & RedZone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron