INSTANT REACTION PODCAST: Oklahoma State 34, Iowa State 27

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Defense made adjustments in the 2nd half. Offense regressed. Purdy zeroed in on one guy and forced it. All 3 interceptions looked almost the same. First time I think he looked a bit rattled. Plenty of games left.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Yep, besides throwing the ball too much, ISU was blitzed a lot and didnt handle it well. The blitz was usually just one guy by OSU but it was effective. It looked like Purdy had lanes to run when pressured but stayed in the pocket or threw quickly. For example, the time it was something like 3rd and 3 at the OSU 20 yard line or so, Purdy got out of the pocket left and could have easily gotten the first down with his legs. But he floated it to a covered Shaw for incomplete. Head scratcher.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Looking back at Sam Darnolds seeing ghosts comments from earlier in the week. Didn't really understand what that even meant till watching Purdy today. Totally get it now.

Can't be upset with Brock, we don't have 5 wins this year without him. But shame on coaches for making him throw 60+times. Totally unacceptable, but correctable and forgivable as long as they own up to it and learn from it

• Agree
Reactions: INTENSE_CY

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Felt a lot like the 2017 Texas game. Playing uphill the whole time, couldn’t get the offense in a rhythm, just kind of a weird game.

Shake it off, start a new Brockvember tradition

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
No idea why we all but abandoned the running game in the second half. Hall was picking up some decent yardage. And is Purdy nicked up, because I only saw him attempt two runs? Gotta have both picking up yards on the ground if we want to keep the defenses honest.

83cy

May 14, 2006
I do not understand why Brock is not running a little more often, seems like he stands in the pocket too long and takes a sack when he could have run for some yardage. Where is the RPO.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Same reason we lost was why Oklahoma lost. Run the ball more. Put less on the shoulders of purdy and hurts.

• Winner
Reactions: INTENSE_CY

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Felt a lot like the 2017 Texas game. Playing uphill the whole time, couldn’t get the offense in a rhythm, just kind of a weird game.

Shake it off, start a new Brockvember tradition
Remember what happened after that?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here is my theory: Campbell/Manning had an offensive game plan that called for Brock to be the man and win his arm.

Most of the folks in our section noticed how Brock was struggling. Even when he had completions, the ball just didn't seem to be in the right place for the receiver, several throws led to big hits on receivers, and he seemed to be locked in on his first option.

So what was going on? Campbell/Manning wanted to put the game on Brock's shoulders. He has had incredible stats in other games, but not necessarily with a game plan that demanded it. If Brock is going to reach his potential (and deserve the Heisman hype), he needs to be able to take control of the game. We have often asked the defense to win games for us, but not so much the offense.

One other thought: Expect the same next week. The Oklahoma State game was a warm-up for Oklahoma game. Even with Brock's struggling, his production stats are pretty high on the all-time list of WB production. Take away one interception and we would still be in a good position to win the game. And then, our game with Oklahoma (if they hadn't choked) would have had the nation's attention, including Brock's Heisman potential. I think Campbell/Manning is helping Brock learn to be "the guy" who can "turn it up to 11" when we need a big game. In the long run, we are going to look at this game as the point in time when Brock took a big step up as a superstar. We may not see the results for a few weeks, but the step was taken.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Here is my theory: Campbell/Manning had an offensive game plan that called for Brock to be the man and win his arm.

Most of the folks in our section noticed how Brock was struggling. Even when he had completions, the ball just didn't seem to be in the right place for the receiver, several throws led to big hits on receivers, and he seemed to be locked in on his first option.

So what was going on? Campbell/Manning wanted to put the game on Brock's shoulders. He has had incredible stats in other games, but not necessarily with a game plan that demanded it. If Brock is going to reach his potential (and deserve the Heisman hype), he needs to be able to take control of the game. We have often asked the defense to win games for us, but not so much the offense.

One other thought: Expect the same next week. The Oklahoma State game was a warm-up for Oklahoma game. Even with Brock's struggling, his production stats are pretty high on the all-time list of WB production. Take away one interception and we would still be in a good position to win the game. And then, our game with Oklahoma (if they hadn't choked) would have had the nation's attention, including Brock's Heisman potential. I think Campbell/Manning is helping Brock learn to be "the guy" who can "turn it up to 11" when we need a big game. In the long run, we are going to look at this game as the point in time when Brock took a big step up as a superstar. We may not see the results for a few weeks, but the step was taken.

All that for one player? Everyone knows Brock's potential. They didn't need to ask him to chuck it 60+ times against that defense to prove and or learn it. What everyone doesn't know is Breece Hall's potential. Coach Gundy said that by playing back eight and daring us to run for a majority of the game. Breece scored the last two touchdowns on very good runs. They couldn't stop him. You take what your opponent gives you. And there is plenty of room for multiple superstars.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
His throws were getting our receivers murdered quite a bit. Him not stepping into his throws is a huge problem and I would bet some of the receivers would have a chat with him.

Now whether those plays should have been called to begin with is a whole other issue.

Brock looked really bad/uncomfortable yesterday but that was just one of MANY problems the team had. Kicking was just unbelievably bad as usual. Our d backs were playing worse than anyone else IMO. The coverage and tackling was just horrible.

I think all of it is fixable except the kicking. We just have to assume anything over 30 yards is like another teams 45+ yard attempts. Our kicking has always been bad but this is as bad as I remember.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
All that for one player? Everyone knows Brock's potential. They didn't need to ask him to chuck it 60+ times against that defense to prove and or learn it. What everyone doesn't know is Breece Hall's potential. Coach Gundy said that by playing back eight and daring us to run for a majority of the game. Breece scored the last two touchdowns on very good runs. They couldn't stop him. You take what your opponent gives you. And there is plenty of room for multiple superstars.

It's not even the calls, just the general concepts. You've got receivers in the same area in the 3rd level and it's not instilled for the QB to just pick up the 1st down when they're on the scramble.

Has there been a designed roll out for Purdy all season?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's not even the calls, just the general concepts. You've got receivers in the same area in the 3rd level and it's not instilled for the QB to just pick up the 1st down when they're on the scramble.

Has there been a designed roll out for Purdy all season?

It's almost as if the coaches have hammered in his head that he needs to stay in the pocket at all costs that he's unsure whether to leave the pocket even if it's collapsing all around him. Last year if nothing was open and he felt like time was running out he'd scramble and get what he could on the ground - and give a little pump fake to freeze the defense and get an extra 5 yards. This year he just stands there and backpedals like he's afraid he's going to get yelled at if he dares to leave the pocket. The one thing that really disheartened me yesterday was watching him tuck the ball into his chest as he waited to get hit from the blindside.

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
It's almost as if the coaches have hammered in his head that he needs to stay in the pocket at all costs that he's unsure whether to leave the pocket even if it's collapsing all around him. Last year if nothing was open and he felt like time was running out he'd scramble and get what he could on the ground - and give a little pump fake to freeze the defense and get an extra 5 yards. This year he just stands there and backpedals like he's afraid he's going to get yelled at if he dares to leave the pocket. The one thing that really disheartened me yesterday was watching him tuck the ball into his chest as he waited to get hit from the blindside.

Yup, sure seems like they have coached the Brock Purdy out of Brock Purdy. And i don't think we can win that many games if we just have pocket passer type QB. Not in the Big XII.
I get not having him run all the time, I'm all for that. But if you don't let him scramble or roll out a few times, then the defense won't respect that, thus making coverage easier.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yup, sure seems like they have coached the Brock Purdy out of Brock Purdy. And i don't think we can win that many games if we just have pocket passer type QB. Not in the Big XII.
I get not having him run all the time, I'm all for that. But if you don't let him scramble or roll out a few times, then the defense won't respect that, thus making coverage easier.

Agree. As I said yesterday, I appreciate the fact he his pocket presence is improved. There were probably times last year when he took off when he didn't have to. The problem is they took it too far in the other direction where he's now afraid to leave the pocket, and when he does leave the pocket he now looks like a deer in headlights. It almost feels like they coached what was special about him out of him. Last year the defense couldn't get comfortable in coverage because Purdy was a threat to gash them if they covered too well. That threat is gone, which only makes it harder for the offense to go downfield now.

• Agree
Reactions: scratch

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Agree. As I said yesterday, I appreciate the fact he his pocket presence is improved. There were probably times last year when he took off when he didn't have to. The problem is they took it too far in the other direction where he's now afraid to leave the pocket, and when he does leave the pocket he now looks like a deer in headlights. It almost feels like they coached what was special about him out of him. Last year the defense couldn't get comfortable in coverage because Purdy was a threat to gash them if they covered too well. That threat is gone, which only makes it harder for the offense to go downfield now.

Basically the improved pocket thing is a great aspect to improve on and add, but forcing it to be the majority of his game doesn't enable for him to be as effective and holds up an offense that has other players that can make more out of short gains.