Harbaugh ready to move on?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Urban Meyer would be a logical phone call...but isn't he more interested in USC potentially?

There are a half-dozen places thinking Urban will save them at this point.

That can only be true for one place -- maximum.

So when Urban turns them down, where else do they go next?

Firing a coach without having a clean plan for your next step is a bad idea.

Every impression that I have had from Pollard and the ISU media is that Campbell was *the guy* when Jamie went hunting last time. What is Michigan's plan?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Is that accurate? I thought his buyout was around $7M. If so, that's great for us.

Not according to this
https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...-extends-matt-campbells-contract-through-2024

"Campbell has been a hot name for other coaching positions the last two years, including jobs like Ohio State and the Cleveland Browns. In his new contract, his buyout is $7 million if he leaves for another job before Feb. 1, 2019. It decreases $1 million annually thereafter."

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is that accurate? I thought his buyout was around $7M. If so, that's great for us.

no, the buyout for firing is different than the buyout if he leaves.

the leaving buyout is still really high but not the crazy amount it was after year 2.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Looking at their list of season on Wiki and Michigan's real consistent hey day was the 1970s although they were 11 game seasons so I guess that's a difference.

Seven 10-win seasons while the rest of the decades were a few of those sprinkled in.

Harbaugh has won 10 games 3 out of 4 years which is not that common...his struggles in the big games and moments have overshadowed overall good seasons.
Agree but we both know schools like that have irrational fan bases. I was shocked when LSU and Georgia moved on from Miles and Richt but that's the sports world for us.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
GarBar is probably crafting extensions and raises for Kurt and Brian as we speak.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
that buyout isn’t accurate I don’t believe.. pretty sure it’s $6 mil.. reducing by $1 mil per year

again, the 19 million is the buyout if we fire him. $19 million, the balance of the contract.

$6 million is the buyout if Michigan or ND hires him.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Looking at their list of season on Wiki and Michigan's real consistent hey day was the 1970s although they were 11 game seasons so I guess that's a difference.

Seven 10-win seasons while the rest of the decades were a few of those sprinkled in.

Harbaugh has won 10 games 3 out of 4 years which is not that common...his struggles in the big games and moments have overshadowed overall good seasons.

As a Michigan fan, I hope they realize this. This isn’t the 80s or 90s anymore. Only 3 programs are consistently elite and 3 is stretching it. 10 win seasons are likely a couple plays away from championships so they need to ride with him as it’s more likely he gets over the hump than it is the next guy gets through the transition and does it. Besides, what does it say about Michigan that Harbaugh can’t do it? It indicates to me that it’s a Michigan problem. Maybe it’s academics, maybe it’s true that they refuse to play the games others play. I happen to think it’s a combination of those things plus the fact that it’s really hard to win when you’re this far north. Don’t give me Notre Dame either. If they played Michigan’s schedule the last few years, they’d do no better.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
UCLA learned that the hard way with the basketball coaching process. Gee-whiz, that process was a train wreck rubber-necking at car crash.

Michigans wasn’t a whole lot better. There isn’t a lot of confidence in Manuel following the b-ball search. There didn’t seem to be a plan. I’d think Rhule and Campbell are up there with some ridiculous former NFL coach, a current NFL coach, someone on the staff like Partridge, and then someone like Norvell which is what they likely end up with.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Michigans wasn’t a whole lot better. There isn’t a lot of confidence in Manuel following the b-ball search. There didn’t seem to be a plan.

I don't recall this. I thought JH was their target from the outset.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Urb is not going to Michigan, I can say that with 100% certainty. I have no doubt that CMC will be contacted by Michigan and would be solid fit. I think Michigan has some unrealistic expectations and will always be in the shadow of OSU.

Agree completely, Campbell will be contacted, he would be a solid fit, but he would be insane to go because those fans expectations are absolutely outrageous. Harbaugh goes two seasons with 8+ and their fans are talking about how he should go. I think Michigan fans could possibly be more delusional than Hawkeye fans.