Harbaugh ready to move on?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree but we both know schools like that have irrational fan bases. I was shocked when LSU and Georgia moved on from Miles and Richt but that's the sports world for us.

Look at Pelini....he'd likely be up there in the mix of winning their division at least, which they are a far cry from.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
You can see the same pattern with Harbaugh at every place he has been...start off strong with 2-3 years of good returns and then it seems like he starts to tail off and look for a new place to start all over again. Dude is really good at reusing previous coach recruits, but no so much with his own recruits...weird.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You can see the same pattern with Harbaugh at every place he has been...start off strong with 2-3 years of good returns and then it seems like he starts to tail off and look for a new place to start all over again. Dude is really good at reusing previous coach recruits, but no so much with his own recruits...weird.

Guess I'm not really seeing that. He had two 11-1 seasons at San Diego and moved on to Stanford. His last season there he was 12-1 and moved on to San Francisco.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'd be surprised if Campbell actually went to Michigan - it's really starting to feel like he truly wants to be here long-ish term - though they'd be smart to pursue him.

But if/when Campbell leaves, Michigan is the type of job I could see him leaving for. Among the blueblood program jobs it's relatively low-drama, relatively sane fans, good fan support in numbers if not quite as much passion. (Lots of "relatively-s" here because it's college sports...there's always drama and insane fans.)

Compare that to other blueblood jobs like Texas or USC or Florida State where there just doesn't seem to be a cultural fit.

What does Campbell want that he doesn't have here? About all I can come up with is "Ohio."

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't recall this. I thought JH was their target from the outset.

He was one of them but internally things weren't organized and it didn't go smooth. They aren't unhappy with the result but if JH isn't an option and pretty much a layup (who I think they lowballed initially) that thing could have been a UCLA-like mess.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
What does Campbell want that he doesn't have here? About all I can come up with is "Ohio."

I agree, which is why I said it feels like he wants to be here long term.

My point was that if he leaves, I think it will be for a job that is not just a higher-prestige job but also a good fit for him. Of the top-tier CFB jobs, Michigan seems like it could be one of those.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Guess I'm not really seeing that. He had two 11-1 seasons at San Diego and moved on to Stanford. His last season there he was 12-1 and moved on to San Francisco.
Agree.

Two things are creating this narrative, a lack of elite QB play and Ohio St being elite in the same division. This year is a bit of a down year, but in the past he’s been a top QB away from meeting insanely high expectations imo. That’s on him now, which is odd given he’s generally always gotten the best out of talented QBs.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice and IASTATE07

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I have always thought that Harbaugh probably wanted to get back in the NFL at some point. After this year might be the perfect time. Would definitely be interesting to see who they would get as a coach.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
My point is that he tends to wear out his welcome wherever he goes. Is he successful...yep. Do the schools do well..yep. But even in success, he seems to gradually irritate people with his "process" to the point that he looks to move on after 4-5 years as leadership becomes tired with him. Why bounce back and forth so much between college and the NFL?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
My point is that he tends to wear out his welcome wherever he goes. Is he successful...yep. Do the schools do well..yep. But even in success, he seems to gradually irritate people with his "process" to the point that he looks to move on after 4-5 years as leadership becomes tired with him. Why bounce back and forth so much between college and the NFL?

It seems your point changed, but I still don't see your point. Harbaugh has ascended through the coaching ranks getting to the top taking an NFL team to the Super Bowl. I agree things got tense between he and the 49ers, but every other time he switched jobs it was to take a job at a higher level.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

What? Jump back and fourth? Did you expect him to stay at San Diego? Did you think a guy that wanted to coach in the NFL would stay at Stanford? Are you Paul Finebaum?

He’s had a pretty normal career track of a successful head coach. Work your way up to the peak of the profession, that peak being fleeting for most NFL coaches.

The only point you’ve made is that you have bought all the click-bait worthy false narratives.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Agree.

Two things are creating this narrative, a lack of elite QB play and Ohio St being elite in the same division. This year is a bit of a down year, but in the past he’s been a top QB away from meeting insanely high expectations imo. That’s on him now, which is odd given he’s generally always gotten the best out of talented QBs.

I agree and that's why I tend to think there is some sort of Michigan problem at least to an extent. People compare them to ND as they have similar limitations but if you put OSU on NDs schedule, they are about exactly the same as Michigan.

The QB thing is weird:

-Rudock- Same as he did before. Turned a mediocre college QB into a guy that was very good and got on an NFL roster

-Speight- Wasn't his guy but was serviceable as an underclassman and showed some promise until he got hurt

-John O'Korn- Was always kind of a flyer but the talent was there and you thought Harbaugh could turn it into something

-Brandon Peters-Looked ok in limited time but never really got the reigns before getting hurt then was recruited over with Patterson

-Patterson- Undoubtedly the biggest disappointment. Was a 5 star recruit that showed a load of talent at Ole Miss. He was the QB savior. From what I've seen, it looks to me like he has a tough time in progressions and the high school offense he was running at Ole Miss was covering that deficiency up. I think he and John O'Korn were essentially the same guy but Patterson isn't quite that bad.

-McCaffery and Milton are a sophomore and freshman. They are probably Harbaughs last hope at the position but they could lose all but one receiver this year and that could hurt them as well.

At the end of the day, Harbaugh lost to OSU by a couple inches and then had to play O'Korn in a game the coaches schemed up to win. If those two things go a different way, this discussion isn't happening because he has two Big Ten Championships and two playoff appearances which is the apex for any program to the north, especially if you aren't willing to bend/break rules which insiders say this staff doesn't do. Evidence mostly suggests that's true as they have lost far fewer guys under weird circumstances than they've ever gained. I'm not saying nothing happens there but I don't think they're even close to playing by the same set of rules as the SEC. That's what drove John Beilein out and I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh is sick of it too.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

He's never been "forth." He was run out of SF, who had awful leadership as evidenced by what they did right after he left. Otherwise, he's had a very natural progression. A lot of people pump this narrative out there but the only piece of evidence that it's true is SF and forgive me if I'm not going to use that management team as a basis for a guys whole career. I also don't believe he has problems with the AD at Michigan as it's never been mentioned. The problems with JH at UM are on the field at this point.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
What? Jump back and fourth? Did you expect him to stay at San Diego? Did you think a guy that wanted to coach in the NFL would stay at Stanford? Are you Paul Finebaum?

He’s had a pretty normal career track of a successful head coach. Work your way up to the peak of the profession, that peak being fleeting for most NFL coaches.

The only point you’ve made is that you have bought all the click-bait worthy false narratives.
Definitely not Paul Finebaum, and while the career progression is somewhat normal...use success at one place to leverage a better job at another place, the jumping back and forth between college and the NFL is pretty darn rare...I honestly can't name one off the top of my head that has gone college-pro-college-pro-college. Most coaches, when they go pro, simply recycle to other pro jobs.

My point for consideration and discussion...which is going on here...is whether Harbaugh gets to a point 4-5 years into a job, gets bored, gets frustrated, gets whatever, and moves on to the next challenge. His record is always going to get him a new gig, be it college or pro. Is he getting to that point at Michigan? Heck, he might be there for 20 years...his previous record of moving doesn't suggest it is likely.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Definitely not Paul Finebaum, and while the career progression is somewhat normal...use success at one place to leverage a better job at another place, the jumping back and forth between college and the NFL is pretty darn rare...I honestly can't name one off the top of my head that has gone college-pro-college-pro-college. Most coaches, when they go pro, simply recycle to other pro jobs.

My point for consideration and discussion...which is going on here...is whether Harbaugh gets to a point 4-5 years into a job, gets bored, gets frustrated, gets whatever, and moves on to the next challenge. His record is always going to get him a new gig, be it college or pro. Is he getting to that point at Michigan? Heck, he might be there for 20 years...his previous record of moving doesn't suggest it is likely.

Dennis Erickson
Mike Riley
Chip Kelly
Nick Saban
Steve Spurrier

I mean, they only switched twice but that's where we are with Harbaugh. There are things he loves about coaching college football.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

He's the Billy Martin of football coaches.