RECRUITING: Xavier Foster recaps official visit to Iowa State

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yeah, but that drive is a *****. Up to ames is 163 to I80 to I35. The drive to Iowa City is back roads with some 35 MPH corners.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's straight east out of Oskaloosa and turn north towards I-80 through What Cheer. There are zero 35 mph corners.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This needs to be Iowa States bread and butter from a recruiting perspective. Players ranked 50-125 that will be on campus for 3-4 years. Athleticism in a 7 footer that can protect the rim at a high clip and run the floor do not grow on trees. Xavier is going to be a great player.
You can’t grow on a tree if your already the trunk.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
With all due respect...

Another poster opined they didn't think he was going to be very good in college and HS stats were readily available in my quest to understand the statement. Give me something better if these aren't indicative - has he dominated on the AAU scene?

At what point do people on this board actually answer questions rather than cast shade? I've seen "athletic rim protector who can run the floor". I'm not looking for a dissertation, just some simple observations...

Youtube.com

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Spoiler - I'm going way off topic here.

I thought about this when watching a game the other day. A visiting team player scored a TD and promptly shushed the crowd. My thought was how is that any less taunting than flashing a horns down at a Texas crowd?

For the record I still think the horns down thing is really stupid - but only marginally more stupid than all of the hand signs prevalent in the Big 12. I also think flagging the horns down is stupid as well.
You can taunt the crowd but not the opposing players. Respect your opposition but opposing crowds are ********.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
I've never seen the young man play. Your last sentence caught my attention so I took a brief look at IHSAA Quick Stats and was surprised. Against primarily 3A competition, the 7 footer only scored 14.4 points / game on 53.6% shooting. Despite having a "twin tower" (6'10 Cole Henry), they lost five games, being swept by Pella which didn't feature a player over 6'6. When Cole Henry didn't play @ Pella, Foster scored 9 Points on 4 of 14 shooting in a blowout 64-39 Loss. Most surprisingly, he only shot 82 free throws in 24 games (3.4 / game), at a 51.2% clip - why didn't he get fouled more?

Serious question for those of you in the know. What are the stats not showing and why is most of the board acting like this is a critical "get"?
I watched him play in person multiple times and he did not impress me. I watched him play in the state tournament also. One team he played at state did not have a guy over 6'0 tall and they contained him. He was shooing 3 pointers rather than going underneath.

• Dislike
Reactions: SerenityNow

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I watched him play in person multiple times and he did not impress me. I watched him play in the state tournament also. One team he played at state did not have a guy over 6'0 tall and they contained him. He was shooing 3 pointers rather than going underneath.

Which team didn't have a player over 6 foot?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Serious question for those of you in the know. What are the stats not showing and why is most of the board acting like this is a critical "get"?

Although they look to have totally different styles, this question made me wonder how dominant Loren Meyer looked against those small NW Iowa schools?

Reactions: Knownothing

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Or shushing your own crowd - if that's a dream of his, Iowa is the clear choice.

Bf-q731IcAAj-zX.jpg

In my best Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator voice...You are one ugly ************

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
With all due respect...

Another poster opined they didn't think he was going to be very good in college and HS stats were readily available in my quest to understand the statement. Give me something better if these aren't indicative - has he dominated on the AAU scene?

At what point do people on this board actually answer questions rather than cast shade? I've seen "athletic rim protector who can run the floor". I'm not looking for a dissertation, just some simple observations...

Fosters worth is pretty simple. He's an elite rim protector. When I say elite I mean, he's going to be a millionaire playing the game of basketball if nothing else because dudes like him are rare defensively. I've talked with some college coaches about him...he's legit. Colleges were not looking at his HS stats at Osky...they were watching him against great competition at the AAU level and he did not disappoint. His offensive game, like a majority of bigs is raw and mostly untapped, loads of potential though which is true for most young bigs. He'd be a major 'get' for ISU and I hope he chooses the good guys.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Tough 24 hours for you. Congrats on beating out Western Illinois for the Murray boys and Ball State for the Indianapolis kid!

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
With all due respect...

The point I was intending to make is that high school stats, especially in small school Iowa, are pretty meaningless. There are too many variables to consider like what the rest of the team consists of causing a player to have to play out of position for instance. The type of play that's deployed by the coach maybe doesn't bode well for a given player (i.e. the player's strengths aren't being played to). Lots to consider.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Not that you've demonstrated you know jack **** about anything, but I'll ask anyway. What team was that? I'm a little skeptical that such team existed.

But anyway, thanks for your scouting. It's always awesome to hear random message board dumbasses contradict college coaches. As long as you feel better about Iowa offering guys that should be playing at Wartburg that's really all that matters.

Reactions: Acylum and pulse

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

Guess we're out now. UNI1ISU2 didn't like what he saw. Sorry XF, you're overrated.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
JFC Loser.

Reactions: heitclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You can taunt the crowd but not the opposing players. Respect your opposition but opposing crowds are ********.

"I lit into David. 'I told you doing that s---, you're hurting the team,'" Holgorsen told ESPN this summer. "He goes, 'Coach, I barely did it.' So I went to the refs and I said, 'Who did he intimidate?' They go, 'He intimidated the crowd.' He intimidated the crowd, is what they said."

WVU quarterback Will Grier also was penalized for making the signal while celebrating the game-winning two-point conversation in the closing seconds.

Burks said Tuesday that a display similar to Grier's would likely again be penalized.

"When we have discussed it, by rule, anything that's prolonged to bring attention to the individual rather than the team is a foul," Burks said. "My advice is if you want to do that, do it back in your bench area. Do it back with teammates. Get away from where you are an individual drawing attention to yourself."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27202541/big-12-horns-ok-depending-usage

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
You don't know what you're talking about. It's straight east out of Oskaloosa and turn north towards I-80 through What Cheer. There are zero 35 mph corners.

Probably fair. Went to Pella for school, probably slightly different from Oskie.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron