RECRUITING: Xavier Foster recaps official visit to Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I remember when I had my one-and-only credible inside story which was that ISU was in the works to have a sand volleyball team way back when. My inside source was CJL herself, and then nothing ever happened (insert the wah wah waaahhhhh here). With that said, appreciate the inside info anyone shares here and I know that even the most credible info sometimes just doesn't end up working out that way.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I've never seen the young man play. Your last sentence caught my attention so I took a brief look at IHSAA Quick Stats and was surprised. Against primarily 3A competition, the 7 footer only scored 14.4 points / game on 53.6% shooting. Despite having a "twin tower" (6'10 Cole Henry), they lost five games, being swept by Pella which didn't feature a player over 6'6. When Cole Henry didn't play @ Pella, Foster scored 9 Points on 4 of 14 shooting in a blowout 64-39 Loss. Most surprisingly, he only shot 82 free throws in 24 games (3.4 / game), at a 51.2% clip - why didn't he get fouled more?

Serious question for those of you in the know. What are the stats not showing and why is most of the board acting like this is a critical "get"?
Very athletic 7 footer. Will be a nightmare to guard for most teams. Also, he is teetering between 4 and 5 star status.

Also, the factor that he is an in-state prospect means that people want him more. If he was in Georgia or Texas, he would probably not be as much of an obsession for most.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We're screwed though if he has a thing for eye-poking. Iowa is the best program in the nation in that department.

Or shushing your own crowd - if that's a dream of his, Iowa is the clear choice.

Bf-q731IcAAj-zX.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and mj4cy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I've never seen the young man play. Your last sentence caught my attention so I took a brief look at IHSAA Quick Stats and was surprised. Against primarily 3A competition, the 7 footer only scored 14.4 points / game on 53.6% shooting. Despite having a "twin tower" (6'10 Cole Henry), they lost five games, being swept by Pella which didn't feature a player over 6'6. When Cole Henry didn't play @ Pella, Foster scored 9 Points on 4 of 14 shooting in a blowout 64-39 Loss. Most surprisingly, he only shot 82 free throws in 24 games (3.4 / game), at a 51.2% clip - why didn't he get fouled more?

Serious question for those of you in the know. What are the stats not showing and why is most of the board acting like this is a critical "get"?
Iowa high school basketball isn’t a great for evaluating college basketball players.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Very athletic 7 footer. Will be a nightmare to guard for most teams. Also, he is teetering between 4 and 5 star status.

Also, the factor that he is an in-state prospect means that people want him more. If he was in Georgia or Texas, he would probably not be as much of an obsession for most.

This needs to be Iowa States bread and butter from a recruiting perspective. Players ranked 50-125 that will be on campus for 3-4 years. Athleticism in a 7 footer that can protect the rim at a high clip and run the floor do not grow on trees. Xavier is going to be a great player.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

I fully admit I’ve only seen him play 5-6 games down at the state tournament, but to me all he wanted to do on offense was sit outside and shoot threes. Rarely ever went inside. Defensively he got rebounds mostly by being 6-7” taller than everyone else on the court. I’m not going to complain if he picks us, but will not be upset if he doesn’t. If he’s a Clone and is great, I’ll gladly eat crow

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I fully admit I’ve only seen him play 5-6 games down at the state tournament, but to me all he wanted to do on offense was sit outside and shoot threes. Rarely ever went inside. Defensively he got rebounds mostly by being 6-7” taller than everyone else on the court. I’m not going to complain if he picks us, but will not be upset if he doesn’t. If he’s a Clone and is great, I’ll gladly eat crow

That is coaching.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Or shushing your own crowd - if that's a dream of his, Iowa is the clear choice.

Bf-q731IcAAj-zX.jpg
Spoiler - I'm going way off topic here.

I thought about this when watching a game the other day. A visiting team player scored a TD and promptly shushed the crowd. My thought was how is that any less taunting than flashing a horns down at a Texas crowd?

For the record I still think the horns down thing is really stupid - but only marginally more stupid than all of the hand signs prevalent in the Big 12. I also think flagging the horns down is stupid as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12 and mj4cy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I thought about this when watching a game the other day. A visiting team player scored a TD and promptly shushed the crowd. My thought was how is that any less taunting than flashing a horns down at a Texas crowd?

For the record I still think the horns down thing is really stupid - but only marginally more stupid than all of the hand signs prevalent in the Big 12. I also think flagging the horns down is stupid as well.

Was that player Breece Hall?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

It's something you will continue to see as the NFL waters down it's unsportsmanlike penalties...soon the horn's down will be treated like all of the other hand signs.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
BTW if you want to see what a player can be like. Go watch AAU ball. Not high school. That is why you rarely see coaches at high school events. I would check Xaviers AAU stats .

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
At what point do people stop looking at high school stats as an indicator of college production?

With all due respect...

Another poster opined they didn't think he was going to be very good in college and HS stats were readily available in my quest to understand the statement. Give me something better if these aren't indicative - has he dominated on the AAU scene?

At what point do people on this board actually answer questions rather than cast shade? I've seen "athletic rim protector who can run the floor". I'm not looking for a dissertation, just some simple observations...

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
With all due respect...

Another poster opined they didn't think he was going to be very good in college and HS stats were readily available in my quest to understand the statement. Give me something better if these aren't indicative - has he dominated on the AAU scene?

At what point do people on this board actually answer questions rather than cast shade? I've seen "athletic rim protector who can run the floor". I'm not looking for a dissertation, just some simple observations...

It's about potential. Not high school stats.