RECRUITING: Xavier Foster recaps official visit to Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yes. We should find out who Fran is recruiting and then try to steal those guys away.
tenor.gif

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Have you ever tried to drive from Osky to Iowa City, or Osky to Ames. I do not care what Google maps says about the distance, Osky to Ames is four lane roads the entire way up 136 to 80/35. Osky to Iowa City is 2 lane roads all the way to either 80 or over to 218. No comparison. Time wise, Osky to Ames is at least half an hour closer, if not more. Plus you do not have to slow down going through towns on 136 until you get to SE Polk high school, and hit the four stop lights on the road. Bypass around Des Moines and right on 80/35 4 miles till you hit 35. On 136 you are driving 70 or above, the Osky to Iowa City a lot of county 2 lane roads until you get to the interstate with towns that slow you down as you pass through them.

Hwy 163, not 136.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Oh, no. I have to drive the speed limit for 3 minutes through What Cheer. The two distances are similar in length and time. Zero chance you're shaving 30 minutes off.

How many times have you driven the routes we are talking about here? I have driven both multiple times, and its at least 30 minutes faster to Ames. You talk about Slowing down through What Cheer, but you sure as hell cannot drive much over 65 on those county roads until the interstate, now can you. On 163 its 70 and a little above, all the way to SE Polk HS. It adds up and makes a difference.

I get it, Oksy is a very pro hawk town, and I am sure he is getting a lot of pressure from the town folk to sign with Iowa. Its his decision, but for his parents, ease of driving to Ames, may influence that decision, or maybe not.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
The lack of faith you guys have in me...
I believe you @CyTwins and everyone else should, too. I have heard from two other very reliable sources that his plan is to wear the Cardinal and Gold next year. These sources do not speculate or try to connect dots, they actually have ties to the truth. They have never been wrong before.

Barring a RADICAL change of heart, Foster will be a cyclone.

There, now I can go down with the ship with CyTwins if we are wrong.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I believe you @CyTwins and everyone else should, too. I have heard from two other very reliable sources that his plan is to wear the Cardinal and Gold next year. These sources do not speculate or try to connect dots, they actually have ties to the truth. They have never been wrong before.

So are we "lead-pipe lock" level of confident, or "gun to my head" level confident?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

My "fear" at this point. I put that in quotes because I'm not really concerned.

I came to terms a long time ago that if he chose Iowa he just doesn't care about basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: Stewo

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
No idea what Foster will do but our system is a MUCH better fit for him compared to Iowa. He can hang around the outside and shoot 3s in our system where he'll get Woodbury'd in a system like Iowa. That's his style.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
No idea what Foster will do but our system is a MUCH better fit for him compared to Iowa. He can hang around the outside and shoot 3s in our system where he'll get Woodbury'd in a system like Iowa. That's his style.

We're screwed though if he has a thing for eye-poking. Iowa is the best program in the nation in that department.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I don't think he's going to be a Hawk but I'll be honest, I really don't care. Don't think he ends up being very good but just my opinion from watching him the last few state tournaments. He wasn't even the best player on his team

I've never seen the young man play. Your last sentence caught my attention so I took a brief look at IHSAA Quick Stats and was surprised. Against primarily 3A competition, the 7 footer only scored 14.4 points / game on 53.6% shooting. Despite having a "twin tower" (6'10 Cole Henry), they lost five games, being swept by Pella which didn't feature a player over 6'6. When Cole Henry didn't play @ Pella, Foster scored 9 Points on 4 of 14 shooting in a blowout 64-39 Loss. Most surprisingly, he only shot 82 free throws in 24 games (3.4 / game), at a 51.2% clip - why didn't he get fouled more?

Serious question for those of you in the know. What are the stats not showing and why is most of the board acting like this is a critical "get"?