Are special teams part of the "process"?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
images

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Reminder: our kick and punt coverage has been excellent, and returning has grown since the Iowa game. It's just the actual kicking that has been a recurring issue, and that seems to be personnel-related.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It’s a testament to our talent level that we’re winning without consistently winning the TO margin and ST.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Are special teams part of the "process"? If not, I hope it is not too late to include them.
Kicking field goals is a lot like shooting free throws. It's about 90 percent mental. Kickers spend all practice doing one thing and the pressure on them is incredible. They have one job and that's it. It's a difficult task and you see guys struggling at it at every level. Look at the NFL right now.. tons of kicker issues.

I'm not making excuses either, because it's something that absolutely needs to get cleaned up. But its definitely "part of the process".

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yes, special teams are way down this year. I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed in the kickers, or us literally running away from trying to returns punts, let alone not even using Kene who was second in yards per return at one point in his career. All that said, we have young players, and the punter has been the pleasant surprise considering he had to take over on short notice with injury to Dunn. I think it will get there, just this year 'getting there' will only mean becoming serviceable and safe.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Reminder: our kick and punt coverage has been excellent, and returning has grown since the Iowa game. It's just the actual kicking that has been a recurring issue, and that seems to be personnel-related.

Yes, it is unfortunate, and I am sure the coaches are doing everything they can to figure it out, but it isn't like they can go pick up a kicker on waiver like the pros. They just have to work on getting the guys that they have better. The kid for AZ was fairly highly rated out of HS, but he hadn't been kicking until Assalley was clear struggling, so it is safe to assume he was not impressing in practice.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Our punt block team has been really good... we have just missed 5-7 kicks. They will get a few blocked this year if they keep up. Has been at the expense of the return.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Yes, special teams are way down this year. I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed in the kickers, or us literally running away from trying to returns punts, let alone not even using Kene who was second in yards per return at one point in his career. All that said, we have young players, and the punter has been the pleasant surprise considering he had to take over on short notice with injury to Dunn. I think it will get there, just this year 'getting there' will only mean becoming serviceable and safe.
I'm sure someone has done the analysis of a punt return in terms of...
- percentage of holding and/or blocking in the back penalties
- time to get down field for each position
- getting 3 guys to pressure block the second row of blockers effectively slowing down 4 of the eleven more than trying to block them at the line
- the hang-time/distance of the opposing kicker
- fielding the punt mistakes
- injuries/risk of injuries
- clock management and controlled advance via the offense vs the risk of additional yards after the catch
At first, I was simply 'meh' with just fair catching the punt, but after more thought, I suspect the experts have their reasoning which I'm more and more getting ok with

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Good ST would go a long ways towards those 4 points.

For many programs, good special teams is the difference between 7 or 8 wins and breaking that 10 win barrier and getting a NY6 game.

Exactly. 2 special team mistakes are the reason this team is not 7-0...
No program outside maybe Alabama is good enough to consistently overcome special team errors.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm sure someone has done the analysis of a punt return in terms of...
- percentage of holding and/or blocking in the back penalties
- time to get down field for each position
- getting 3 guys to pressure block the second row of blockers effectively slowing down 4 of the eleven more than trying to block them at the line
- the hang-time/distance of the opposing kicker
- fielding the punt mistakes
- injuries/risk of injuries
- clock management and controlled advance via the offense vs the risk of additional yards after the catch
At first, I was simply 'meh' with just fair catching the punt, but after more thought, I suspect the experts have their reasoning which I'm more and more getting ok with
It's a conservative coaching style. I don't doubt there's a reason for doing it, but I like a dangerous punt returner, just my own preference and until recently we've typically had one. We have been going for more blocks as of late, which is something else I like.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We're 5-2 and 4 points away from a perfect season so far. We're doing ok.

Except things like special teams blunders have potentially been the difference.

Missed/blocked field goals, players running into each other with 1:30 on the clock on a punt return...there were other reasons for those losses but stronger special teams at least supports the other issues.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Except things like special teams blunders have potentially been the difference.

Missed/blocked field goals, players running into each other with 1:30 on the clock on a punt return...there were other reasons for those losses but stronger special teams at least supports the other issues.

I don't think we are necessarily going for the block. I think they are trying to rush the kicker to force a bad punt. Also, with the number of penalties on the receiving teams (block in the back, holding, etc) it is almost better to not shoot yourself in the foot rather than gain 4-5 yards on a punt return.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
2 missed field goals against Baylor is the difference between 6-1 and drivers seat to Big 12 CCG and 5-2 on the outside looking in.

Lack of faith in kicking game changes the offensive philosophy and can wreak havoc on the "margins".

Last I checked we are still in the "drivers seat" albeit, with a lot less room for error.