Breece Hall Blocking and physical running.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I was able to see Montgomery was better than Warren when he was a true freshman and in all honesty I think Hall may be better than Montgomery.

I hope so...but I am not going there yet...the guy taking snaps while Hall is a freshman adds a much different dimension to a defense's preparation than the guy who was taking snaps when Montgomery was a freshman! I hope you are right though!!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Backs do not get a lot of 3rd level opportunities, at least ISUs backs don't. Will be interesting to see how he does this week. TTU plays a lot of guys close to the line, and they give up a lot of chunks of yards when guys get through. The have given up 88 explosive plays so far this year, so I look for Hall to have some big runs.

Guess I got that right. One in a row. Actually 2, I called for Milton to have a big day too.

• Agree
Reactions: FouchodeHond

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Backs do not get a lot of 3rd level opportunities, at least ISUs backs don't. Will be interesting to see how he does this week. TTU plays a lot of guys close to the line, and they give up a lot of chunks of yards when guys get through. The have given up 88 explosive plays so far this year, so I look for Hall to have some big runs.
You called your shot, good job.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
What is with CMC having these insane players that come in around game 4 and are pretty much our best players. last year it was Purdy. This year Hall. It is pretty awesome that we have these players, but just like last year, why wait till week 4 or or 5 to bring these guys out!! Just like last year, we destroy Iowa if you play these guys right away. Now I have to sit hear and listen to hawk fans talk about how they beat us when we are clearly the better team...

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
What is with CMC having these insane players that come in around game 4 and are pretty much our best players. last year it was Purdy. This year Hall. It is pretty awesome that we have these players, but just like last year, why wait till week 4 or or 5 to bring these guys out!! Just like last year, we destroy Iowa if you play these guys right away. Now I have to sit hear and listen to hawk fans talk about how they beat us when we are clearly the better team...
Because they are all true freshman who were probably not ready week 1.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Recruiting. Better players.

That's all it is. Standard is being raised.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
My only real concern is we don’t have any option to replace Butler. Monty won’t be replaced, but I think Breece will be a stud when he stops trying to move laterally so much.

Pettway can be a big play guy, but it won’t be as much or consistently as Butler and Purdy is going to miss that. As much as the coaching staff might not like it, Purdy is going to have to use his feet. That’s what made him so good, not his arm strength or accuracy in the pocket.

Just want to recall this post of mine from the UNI game thread.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I was able to see Montgomery was better than Warren when he was a true freshman and in all honesty I think Hall may be better than Montgomery.

I’m not sure I’m ready to say that. For being feature backs they have different skill sets and strengths. DM isn’t the kind of guy that will run away from a defense, but he’s the guy defenses couldn’t tackle - you either couldn’t get him down because he was lower than you, and if you did get lower than him he’d run you over. Hall, on the other hand, isn’t nearly the physical runner DM is, but he’s much more slippery. Just one move and he’s 20 yards up the field before the defender realizes his ankles were broken.

Imagine a backfield with BOTH these guys in it.