RAGBRAI Organizers Split from Register

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
Quite a coincidence that they scheduled the Iowa ride same week as the real deal. Must have had scheduling conflicts the other fifty one weeks. Who are your die hard biking sources?

No but I think a lot of people plan a taking that week off. If you have a job where that matters then its a big deal.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
In the old days, everyone was required to try to be as neutral as they could. .

Not saying anything for or against the rest of your post, but this historically isnt really true. There was a period of time where papers may have appeared more neutral for a couple decades, but the history of newspapers is actually of being much more politicized than it is today, with papers of the past often having direct ties to politicians and parties.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I've got no particular love of the Register myself and if they were to just close up shop eventually due to declining business I wouldn't shed a tear, but wanting them destroyed is a very scary thing to me.

Their business is declining, due in part to the way media is consumed in 2019. The other part is, they just aren't very good at what they do. That is how it works, you suck at something, you eventually go out of business (except govt of course).

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
No but I think a lot of people plan a taking that week off. If you have a job where that matters then its a big deal.
Yeah, that's what he said. Riding teams plan for that week all year and having it another week would be a big problem for a lot of them.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
honestly a vast majority do actually ride the route.

I'm sure it's all based on who you're around. I don't claim to know the actual numbers but as I talked to more and more people i was shocked to find out many don't ride every mile. That obviously changes depending on which "group" i talk to. My hard core cycling friends, there is no way they are missing a single mile or it "doesn't count". Other groups, they are there for the party and group atmosphere where the "miles" are a secondary goal. That's the beauty with that ride, you can make it whatever you want!

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Quite a coincidence that they scheduled the Iowa ride same week as the real deal. Must have had scheduling conflicts the other fifty one weeks. Who are your die hard biking sources?

FB friends that are diehards, Bike Iowa FB page comments, individuals in the biking community the media has interviewed thus far...

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Yeah, it's pretty disturbing to see. I've got countless criticisms of the Register myself, but it's the only thing we've got and in this media environment, nothing is going to spring up to take its place. The public reaction has been wildly out of proportion to the Register's mistake.

Who cares if nothing pops up as a replacement. There have been numerous new news sources over the last 10 years... and nothing goes away. The paper industry refused to adapt and will be extinct in 15-20 years.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
There are a ton of people that don't want to see the Register die because of this or other issues. There are also a ton of people that do want to see the Register die because of this or other things.

My message is that the 'dying press' needs to figure out how to make it in the changing market place, or it is going to die. People are not (nor should not IMO) going pay for something they do not feel there is a value. In other words, if people canceled their subscriptions due to the Carson King story, or for other reasons, more power to them. It is how the whole thing is supposed to work.
Did the Register write something about King that wasn’t true? Are you suggesting the news should be sanitized to enhance sales?

• Creative
Reactions: dosry5

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Did the Register write something about King that wasn’t true? Are you suggesting the news should be sanitized to enhance sales?

I am suggesting they serve versus alienate their market.

They easily could have worded the same news in such a fashion that they didn't 'out' or appear to out themselves on exposing the tweets. Especially and specifically for these two points:

1. Their apology or explanation afterwards appears(!) to say they didn't expose the tweets, even though early on they seemingly took credit for doing so.
  2. Carson King publicly addressed the tweets BEFORE the Register released or edited the article.
Do you honestly think all news is passed on raw, versus "sanitized" or dressed up, in an attempt to increase sales (clicks?)

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Am I the only one that realizes the Register literally has NO ONE to organize a ride that is supposed to occur in less than 12 months? RAGBRAI is dead IMHO. All their expertise just walked out the door and decided to go out on their own. No way the Register can field a team to get the 2020 ride off the ground.

Oh, and F the register, they got exactly what they deserved.

Reactions: dosry5

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Am I the only one that realizes the Register literally has NO ONE to organize a ride that is supposed to occur in less than 12 months? RAGBRAI is dead IMHO. All their expertise just walked out the door and decided to go out on their own. No way the Register can field a team to get the 2020 ride off the ground.

To me, the fact that not only TJ left, but the entire RAGBRAI staff left is telling, and is lost on some of the people defending the Register/Ganett in this ordeal.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

Someone ran it before TJ and someone else will run it after him. RAGBRAI will go on as usual and have way more people than the Iowa ride. Why? Because there’s a ton of people who do RAGBRAI for the party and don’t care about the politics.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney and cyson

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Someone ran it before TJ and someone else will run it after him. RAGBRAI will go on as usual and have way more people than the Iowa ride. Why? Because there’s a ton of people who do RAGBRAI for the party and don’t care about the politics.
And the vast majority of them never register (ha) for the ride. There are challenges for this one that are unprecedented. One being no one with experience managing one previously will manage it. Two, there is competition; competition that is supported by much of the community and public.

• Funny
  • Creative
Reactions: Macloney and cyson