Texas Tech REPRIMANDED

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Thing is TTU can and probably will fight this as they didn't call out the bad officiating they instead pointed out that the BIG 12 office admitted the call was wrong through multiple communications after the game. This would all be subject to freedom of information act and therefore public record.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I know a guy who officiates youth soccer. He was telling me about how he totally blew a call and couldn't change it. The coach was going ballistic on him and he simply said, "I know, coach, I just blew the call. Sorry about that." The coach got quiet and didn't know what to say.

Sometimes honesty is just the best policy.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
A couple things about the KSU travesty. Did any Big 12 officials get reassigned or reprimanded? Seems like we got a better bowl game spot than we deserved after that, so maybe there was some quid pro quo with the Big 12.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://wreckemred.com/2019/10/15/t...12s-mea-culpa-hollow-meaningless-red-raiders/

This weekend’s call that damned the Red Raiders was not a judgment call that could have gone either way. This was one of the more simple calls an official has to make. If the center snaps the ball but doesn’t let go of it, he is guilty of an illegal snap because he’s tried to simulate the start of the play. But as soon as he snaps the ball and releases it, as the Baylor center did, the play is live. Even middle school officials are knowledgeable enough to know that.

On top of that, the same crew had already assessed a 15-yard penalty against Texas Tech earlier in the game for a flag thrown on a Baylor player. On Evan Rambo’s 23-yard return of an interception in the first quarter, a flag was thrown and it was announced that No. 79 on the defense had committed an illegal block.

The problem was that there was no player on the defense wearing that number. But No. 79 of Baylor was on the field at the time and did throw an illegal blindside hit during the play. Still, the yardage was marched off against Tech resulting in a 30-yard difference in field position. How that happens at such a high level of college football is truly baffling (especially given how ugly Baylor’s uniforms were, making it impossible not to distinguish between the two teams).

Still, that incompetent Big 12 officiating crew, which is being paid as much for each game as many of the blue-collar workers in the stands earn in a month, is going to be allowed to keep its job despite making game-changing errors on obvious calls. But at least the conference apologized to Hocutt in private. That makes the situation better, doesn’t it?

Certainly, Texas Tech had more than its chances in Waco to win. We’ve already discussed those on this site in the wake of the game. Tech should have never let this game get to OT. But that’s not the point of this argument.

This isn’t just about Tech being screwed. It’s about a Big 12 conference that generates hundreds of millions of dollars annually being content to let its most important product to continue to be presided over by people who are proving on an all-to-common basis to be ill-equipped to perform the job they have been entrusted with.

The Big 12’s football slogan is that “Every Game Matters” because of the round-robin nature of the league. But that’s not a mantra the league brass is living up to. If every game mattered, we wouldn’t see multiple games a year decided by controversial and egregious officiating mistakes.

When a team fights its tail off to get into position to beat a ranked rival on the road only to have that effort negated by officiating incompetence, you’ll have to forvige us for not being satisfied when the league shrugs its shoulders and simply says “Our bad.” Especially when it doesn’t even have the decency to say so publically.

x.gif
m=1;t=27093;mid=;grp=9000;itms=;muid=b4c87f38-7050-4541-a7ab-eaf217dc605c;ts=1571264972680
p

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
https://wreckemred.com/2019/10/15/t...12s-mea-culpa-hollow-meaningless-red-raiders/

This weekend’s call that damned the Red Raiders was not a judgment call that could have gone either way. This was one of the more simple calls an official has to make. If the center snaps the ball but doesn’t let go of it, he is guilty of an illegal snap because he’s tried to simulate the start of the play. But as soon as he snaps the ball and releases it, as the Baylor center did, the play is live. Even middle school officials are knowledgeable enough to know that.

On top of that, the same crew had already assessed a 15-yard penalty against Texas Tech earlier in the game for a flag thrown on a Baylor player. On Evan Rambo’s 23-yard return of an interception in the first quarter, a flag was thrown and it was announced that No. 79 on the defense had committed an illegal block.

The problem was that there was no player on the defense wearing that number. But No. 79 of Baylor was on the field at the time and did throw an illegal blindside hit during the play. Still, the yardage was marched off against Tech resulting in a 30-yard difference in field position. How that happens at such a high level of college football is truly baffling (especially given how ugly Baylor’s uniforms were, making it impossible not to distinguish between the two teams).

Still, that incompetent Big 12 officiating crew, which is being paid as much for each game as many of the blue-collar workers in the stands earn in a month, is going to be allowed to keep its job despite making game-changing errors on obvious calls. But at least the conference apologized to Hocutt in private. That makes the situation better, doesn’t it?

Certainly, Texas Tech had more than its chances in Waco to win. We’ve already discussed those on this site in the wake of the game. Tech should have never let this game get to OT. But that’s not the point of this argument.

This isn’t just about Tech being screwed. It’s about a Big 12 conference that generates hundreds of millions of dollars annually being content to let its most important product to continue to be presided over by people who are proving on an all-to-common basis to be ill-equipped to perform the job they have been entrusted with.

The Big 12’s football slogan is that “Every Game Matters” because of the round-robin nature of the league. But that’s not a mantra the league brass is living up to. If every game mattered, we wouldn’t see multiple games a year decided by controversial and egregious officiating mistakes.

When a team fights its tail off to get into position to beat a ranked rival on the road only to have that effort negated by officiating incompetence, you’ll have to forvige us for not being satisfied when the league shrugs its shoulders and simply says “Our bad.” Especially when it doesn’t even have the decency to say so publically.

x.gif
m=1;t=27093;mid=;grp=9000;itms=;muid=b4c87f38-7050-4541-a7ab-eaf217dc605c;ts=1571264972680
p
I didn't see the whole game so I didn't see the personal foul. Interesting. I did see the illegal snap call live. I have no idea what they saw unless the center happened to twitch with the ball before actually snapping it and fumbling. If he twitched with the ball first, it would be the right call. Obviously that isn't what happened since the Big 12 office actually admitted the mistake.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

The only way a ref could have possibly thought that was an illegal snap was if for some stupid reason the ref thought Baylor was attempting to run a fumblerooski, which, since it's been illegal since 1992, it'd be insanely stupid on two different counts: first if Baylor was actually trying to run a play that's been illegal for almost 30 years (they weren't), or second if a ref actually thought Baylor was attempting to run a play that's been illegal for almost 30 years (they'd have to be that incompetent).

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

The only way a ref could have possibly thought that was an illegal snap was if for some stupid reason the ref thought Baylor was attempting to run a fumblerooski, which, since it's been illegal since 1992, it'd be insanely stupid on two different counts: first if Baylor was actually trying to run a play that's been illegal for almost 30 years (they weren't), or second if a ref actually thought Baylor was attempting to run a play that's been illegal for almost 30 years (they'd have to be that incompetent).

Bottom line is that was a fumble and Taco Tech got hosed.

D

Deleted member 8507

If I'm remembering it right, didn't TTU already score in that overtime? So with TTU recovering the fumble, the game would have been over. I could be remembering that wrong though.
You remember wrong. Baylor had the ball first in first OT, so the fumble would have ended their possession and all TT would have had to do is not lose yards and kick a 40 yard FG to win.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
A couple things about the KSU travesty. Did any Big 12 officials get reassigned or reprimanded?

We've only had Reggie one time since then (2018 at TCU). I think his Big 12 schedule was cut down quite a bit.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I’m just watching and enjoying from afar. When Iowa State was regularly getting screwed, none of these schools stood up for us in demanding better and fair from this league because they benefited from the garbage refs, so hopefully Tech understands what we went through in the past.

I don't have energy to look up screen shot, but Texas Tech was the team that caught the pass where the guy stepped on the back line of the endzone and it was called incomplete to end the half.....over the half time, the referees took it upon themselves to decide that the REd Raider's HEEL had landed in bounds first, before the other 30 bones of his foot landed clearly out of bounds. 2011? Still Unfreaking believable. I lost track of Jamie's public reprimands, but this was his first it think(??).... and I really still have no problem with him fighting back about hat BS. So, How's if feel Lubbock?

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

The problem was that there was no player on the defense wearing that number. But No. 79 of Baylor was on the field at the time and did throw an illegal blindside hit during the play. Still, the yardage was marched off against Tech resulting in a 30-yard difference in field position.
x.gif
p

Is this true? I didn't see the game. This would be horrible! Haven't heard anything about this screw-up.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I get the benefits of handling internally (prevent damage to the image of the conference) but does it get the same accountability when it's handled internally vs publicly?

It seems to me for the K-State game in 2017, fans were blowing up JP's inbox to go public about the officiating at the end of the game (3 picked up flags and missed illegal procedure calls). JP in a very general sense said something along the lines that just because potential errors are not being addressed publicly doesn't mean it isn't being handled internally. I really feel that was JP's way of saying to fans ISU is handling it with the Big 12. Who knows though if anything came out of that.

I counted 8 blatant missed and messed up calls in the K-State game!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I know a guy who officiates youth soccer. He was telling me about how he totally blew a call and couldn't change it. The coach was going ballistic on him and he simply said, "I know, coach, I just blew the call. Sorry about that." The coach got quiet and didn't know what to say.

Sometimes honesty is just the best policy.

Brad Van Vark actually umped a few of my high school baseball games, since he works in Pella and that’s where I went to HS. I played first base and there was one time where we picked off a guy and Van Vark called him safe. I only remember this because Van Vark was the only ump who ever asked me if he missed a call.