RAGBRAI Organizers Split from Register

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Domain created: 2019-10-04T12:10:29Z

gonna be interesting if there are non-compete or NDAs. This could be messy.

I'd be shocked if they did non-competes on something like RAGBRAI. It's a for-profit enterprise, but it's also kind of social/charitable thing too.

What COULD be litigation worthy is if they took any data (e.g. past registrant lists) with them.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Did the Register make money from RAGBRAI? They sure give it lots of advertising and coverage. Maybe took a cut of sponsorships?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Aside from the logistics I think this is the sign that the Register is dead.

The Register has been dead for years. It's content and importance is a shell of it's former self, circulation is way down, and it's just getting worse.

Printed news is essentially obsolete. A few outlets have figured out a niche (usually in-depth information, a small market unfortunately) but it's 1% of what it was.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The Register has been dead for years. It's content and importance is a shell of it's former self, circulation is way down, and it's just getting worse.

Printed news is essentially obsolete. A few outlets have figured out a niche (usually in-depth information, a small market unfortunately) but it's 1% of what it was.
The Register went from dying to dead IMO with this fiasco. It has been struggling and not worth it for a while now but I am thinking it might cease operation in the next year at this point.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Aside from the logistics I think this is the sign that the Register is dead. I just don’t see a way it survives this whole situation. We’ve known the whole deal wasn’t real popular with Register Alums but now they can’t even keep people employed.

Hopefully this will be a catalyst that creates a local qualified newspaper. I want a paper to support and have for a while but haven’t had any interest in supporting the crappy Register.

I think you are overestimating on how many people actually care about this. Go to their Facbook page and look how many likes they still have. They will obviously lose some subscribers but it wont be the numbers everyone is hoping for.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm still not understanding how you can cancel yourself...

To me, "Cancel Culture" would be a group getting together to boycott RAGBRAI in response to the Carson King thing. Here, this is an employee exercising his own free will to not work for an employer anymore.

If you read post #67, a good chunk of it reads like they felt like they needed to disassociate from the Register due to the outcry (in addition to the Register's actions and heavy handedness). Pretty similar to what cancel culture does. Essentially the Register is probably gonna lose a 40+ year tradition and point of pride for them because they chose to print that paragraph or two.

Edit: I should add I have no problem with the people who quit and started their own thing. I can see why an event like Ragbrai wouldn't want to be associated with whatever culture the Register has going on over there.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yawn, more "cancel culture", the exact same thing they accused the paper of doing. Lets just all get together and boycott everyone and everything so its even.
This makes no sense. What was cancelled?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The organizers of this new event should just dispense with the charade of their "principles being compromised" and name the new event CAGBRAI, since they're obviously not shy about appropriating Carson King's likeness to their own benefit. I just hope they cut him in on the profits.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
What could anyone sue for? The organizers of the new ride aren't doing anything to associate it with RAGBRAI. And they're not piggybacking on the RAGBRAI route since they'll announce their 2020 route first. It's just a competing ride.

I'm assuming the guys that left did their due diligence and made sure any non-compete clauses that may have signed in the past won't come back to haunt them. That would be the only legal avenue I can think of for ground of lawsuit.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Throwing the baby out with the bath water. The entire Register is not the problem and god knows we need journalists but they need to do better too. If we are politicizing RAGBRAI now then count me out of BOTH rides. Are we gonna have a left ride and a right ride? Jesus ******* Christ.

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
Can’t blame them for leaving if they are unhappy with their employer. The manner in which they are doing so will definitely cripple one of the states great events.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
RAGBRAI is dead... its a sad day.

It will now be called: The Carson King Iowa State Gameday Busch Light Stead Family Hospital Great Ride Across Iowa.

CKISGBLSFHGRAI has a great ring to it.
How about "Facilitate Use of Carson King To Help Everybody Ride Again. Grapefruit!"?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
How about "Facilitate Use of Carson King To Help Everybody Ride Again. Grapefruit!"?

Change Grapefruit to GAY! just to lean in real hard and **** the PC Police.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: clonechemist

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The organizers of this new event should just dispense with the charade of their "principles being compromised" and name the new event CAGBRAI, since they're obviously not shy about appropriating Carson King's likeness to their own benefit. I just hope they cut him in on the profits.

In addition to invoking Carson King's name to promote their own spinoff event, they also invoked John Karras, citing a promise made years ago to maintain this great event. How noble!

Reached for comment today, Karras said he was not consulted about the competing ride and that he was "dismayed" and "stunned." He also said, "That's insane."

Looks like they really thought this through! Good to see people do things that are based on principled stands and definitely, clearly not blatant opportunism.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
In addition to invoking Carson King's name to promote their own spinoff event, they also invoked John Karras, citing a promise made years ago to maintain this great event. How noble!

Reached for comment today, Karras said he was not consulted about the competing ride and that he was "dismayed" and "stunned." He also said, "That's insane."

Looks like they really thought this through! Good to see people do things that are based on principled stands and definitely, clearly not blatant opportunism.

"Reached for comment today" => not shocked that link was to The Rag.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum