Grass Lots for TCU

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Here is an image of looking off S 16th at S5. There is a big ridge that drops off and you can see where water sits where the grass is thin. There is also a creek
back in the tree line.

https://goo.gl/maps/Asza12sJWjhgPd6g8

This is looking at G8. It basically is a bowl and they didn't park everything from the gate past that tall grass for the Iowa game and after the game even some of the area they did park along the trees was a muddy mess getting out of as that is where I was and thankfully had an AWD SUV to drive through it and not get stuck

https://goo.gl/maps/aiqbxBVdXURBTMae7

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I'll sell my G7 pass (which i assume will be moved to Vet Med) if anyone wants it. PM me if interested.

scratch

Jan 28, 2018
Rock is a lot cheaper than concrete or asphalt.....I love to tailgate....So do something and charge another 10 or 20 dollars to offset the cost. I would pay it. As a season ticket holder I want to attend every game. Don't want to park 2 or 3 miles from the stadium. Something has to be done.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here is an image of looking off S 16th at S5. There is a big ridge that drops off and you can see where water sits where the grass is thin. There is also a creek
back in the tree line.

https://goo.gl/maps/Asza12sJWjhgPd6g8

This is looking at G8. It basically is a bowl and they didn't park everything from the gate past that tall grass for the Iowa game and after the game even some of the area they did park along the trees was a muddy mess getting out of as that is where I was and thankfully had an AWD SUV to drive through it and not get stuck

https://goo.gl/maps/aiqbxBVdXURBTMae7

First image is of G-5 (not S-5).

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
The real question should be, will the grass lots be open for the OSU game in three weeks. Way too much water coming down. Gotta get the snowblower tuned up, it's going to be a snowy winter.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The real question should be, will the grass lots be open for the OSU game in three weeks. Way too much water coming down. Gotta get the snowblower tuned up, it's going to be a snowy winter.

Given the tailgating weather we've had the last two seasons, I can state with complete confidence the forecast for this Sunday through the Oklahoma State game.

Sunday 10/6 through Wednesday 10/23: sunny, dry, beautiful fall conditions
Thursday 10/24 through Saturday 10/26: rainy, overcast, 4" of rain each day
Sunday 10/27: sunny, dry, beautiful fall conditions

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
That Kansas game is still one of the funnest games I've attended inside the Jack. It was a complete free for all and the fans were rowdy as hell. There were flasks and beers all over the place and nobody cared.

That was crazy. Our seats are in row 19 on East side of upper deck. By the end of the 1st qtr we were the only ones in our row all the way across the upper deck.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Me waiting to hear about G7:

giphy.gif

Seriously though, if they haven't announced something they must at least be entertaining having the grass lots partially open. It would be nice to know something soon because plans kinda depend on it.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Can someone please tell me why these grass lots are so sacred and can’t be parked in with even a drop of rain? Granted is has rained a lot the last couple days but these lots are constantly closed, pave the darn things.

Probably due to the fact that after the Iowa game, driveways turned into level B maintenance type roads. We've had a lot of rain and not a lot of great drying weather. Putting rock down just pushes into the rock into the dirt and you are back to a level B road again. Have you checked the price of asphalt and concrete lately? I just don't see them paving those lots in the near future.

Attachments

• forest2.JPG
    forest2.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 32

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Probably due to the fact that after the Iowa game, driveways turned into level B maintenance type roads. We've had a lot of rain and not a lot of great drying weather. Putting rock down just pushes into the rock into the dirt and you are back to a level B road again. Have you checked the price of asphalt and concrete lately? I just don't see them paving those lots in the near future.

My gravel road and driveway agree 100% with this statement.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
AccuWeather hourly forecasts has no rain until 2am Saturday.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Rock is a lot cheaper than concrete or asphalt.....I love to tailgate....So do something and charge another 10 or 20 dollars to offset the cost. I would pay it. As a season ticket holder I want to attend every game. Don't want to park 2 or 3 miles from the stadium. Something has to be done.

Gravel won't solve the problem. The grass lots are in a low lying area that is part of a flood plain and don't have the best drainage as it is. If you wanted to do it right you'd have to bring in a bunch of dirt to build the lots up and install necessary drainage even if you were just to do all gravel in those lots. You might be able to make some of the lot more usable with some gravel now but the areas they close off when they limit the parking would still be a muddy mess even with gravel because the water will still just sit in those low areas.

It's a crappy situation but there really is not much of a logical solution right now that doesn't involve spending a bunch of money just to get 6 or 7 days of use out of each year.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Adding “some” gravel to grass makes it impossible to mow. Every winter when my husband snow-blows, it throws some gravel into the yard from the driveway. Those first few mowing in the spring are dangerous to anything parked nearby

PS. The cost of gravel isn’t cheap. Almost $700 this spring for two truck loads

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron