Grass Lots for TCU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I remember having a couple decent tailgating days at least. This year's been awful between the weather and the early starts.

Ironically 2 years ago when TCU came to Ames the grass lots were closed too and either we had a delayed start or it stopped raining right before game time I remember.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That snow Kansas gameday was great. One of the funnest tailgating days I've had. No one gave any ***** and just cut loose.

I think it was like 10 degrees that day. I have a picture somewhere of the Coors light cans I snuck into the stadium (really easy to do when you have multiple layers on) and I have never seen the mountains on the cans as blue as they were that day. Also had to keep the cans up against my body because they would start to get slushy if you left them out in the cold that day.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Ironically 2 years ago when TCU came to Ames the grass lots were closed too and either we had a delayed start or it stopped raining right before game time I remember.

Grass lots were most definitely open 2 years ago for the TCU.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
That snow Kansas gameday was great. One of the funnest tailgating days I've had. No one gave any ***** and just cut loose.
I hadn’t bought anything from concessions all season but wanted a soda. It was frozen within minutes My dog was the “Pet of the Week” so I had to see him on the screen.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That Kansas game is still one of the funnest games I've attended inside the Jack. It was a complete free for all and the fans were rowdy as hell. There were flasks and beers all over the place and nobody cared.

No doubt. Mine too. It was fun to see our players play hard in a meaningless game against a bad team. And while I don't love the freezing cold games, I'll take the weather at the Kansas game vs. the weather at the UNI game that year or the Oklahoma game last year 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Plotter.png

National Weather Service hourly forecast for Friday into Saturday. Forget about grass lots.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hell, if the field wasnt in bad enough shape, it's going to be completely destroyed again after this one.

• Disagree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Can someone please tell me why these grass lots are so sacred and can’t be parked in with even a drop of rain? Granted is has rained a lot the last couple days but these lots are constantly closed, pave the darn things.

Reactions: scratch

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Can someone please tell me why these grass lots are so sacred and can’t be parked in with even a drop of rain? Granted is has rained a lot the last couple days but these lots are constantly closed, pave the darn things.

They are paving them.

Wet grass gets torn up easily. It creates ruts and many cars can't drive out of it/through it. Not allowing parking is because of maintenance problems, not any other reason

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Have you ever parked in them? If you have you'd know why. They are in low lying areas that don't drain well. After the Iowa game there were already tow trucks on standby because they already avoided parking vehicles in some areas that were too soft and those areas had standing water after the game so you can imagine how soft the rest of the lots were in places. It sucks to close those lots but if you are one of us here that don't have a donor parking permit you'd know why they do it because even when they are partially open there are spots that are pretty questionable they try to park.

It's been discussed here before about paving them. Concrete is not cheap and the amount of dirt and drainage tile you'd have to bring in to build up the areas just to pave them would be a very significant cost. Just look at how poor of condition some of the paved lots between Hilton and Jack Trice are right now they haven't resurfaced. So imagine having to properly grade and prep the grass lots just to lay down new concrete or asphalt would be if they can't even resurface the donor lots right now. And for what, 6 or 7 days of use a year during football season? Also I believe ISU has to have a certain amount of "green space" on their land and it's possible those grass lots account for part of it so if they pave them they'd have to somehow replace it with some green space somewhere else. I'm sure Pollard would gladly take a huge donation check and name the parking lot(s) after someone willing to foot the bill to pave the grass lots.