Better Team?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Everyone is being very literal. He was just saying the same thing we all are thinking, we should have won both of those games.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt and adjl

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Everyone is being very literal. He was just saying the same thing we all are thinking, we should have won both of those games.

shhhh. You can’t continue to meltdown if you think critically.

The saddest, and dumbest, part is if we go out and do what we’ve done the last two years, and start winning games, these same people will be 180 degrees opposite emo.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Spot on. A little bit of bad luck, weird circumstances, and yes mistakes by us caused us to lose to less talented teams with a worse coaching staff. I'm confident we can play with anybody, and beat most. But talk is cheap, so it's time to go prove it starting Saturday. I almost feel sorry for TCU, because we are going to lay the hammer down this week.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think one thing that may be an issue going forward is that the past 1.5 seasons, ISU put teams in position where they needed to adjust to their style, which gave them an advantage if the other team had more talent.

If the other teams like Baylor start using the same scheme, and execute it better with more talent, ISU will need to figure something else out, or at least get to a place where they are stronger fundamentally.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I'm sick of moral victories. A loss by 1 or 2 is still loss. At the end of the day, the better team makes that 1 play at the end of the game to win.

I don't think that we had any moral victories in our two losses. I think they were opportunities lost. This team needs to play better. I specifically think we need some of our best players to make game changing plays at critical moments in the game for us to win a lot of games in the Big 12 this year. Our talent level is on par with most of the league now, but we are not good enough to play subpar and expect to win most Saturdays.

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
You know, if it causes you so much anger, you should know one thing.

watching is an actual voluntary activity.

I never used word anger, dont put words in my mouth. I'm tired of the mentality that we are the more talented team yet can't finish a game and that its okay. This is becoming a trend with this team. This team should be ready to execute on game 1 in year 4.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
shhhh. You can’t continue to meltdown if you think critically.

The saddest, and dumbest, part is if we go out and do what we’ve done the last two years, and start winning games, these same people will be 180 degrees opposite emo.

This year it will be how we 'severely' underachieved. And a lot of 'the most talented team' talk.

They're right on pace with my predictions, had them at 8-4. We'll see how the next few weeks pan out, but this TCU game will be a big one i think

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I have been loyal to our coaches. The seem to recruit better every year, but fewer true freshmen are on the field than last year or the year before. That is okay if we are seeing superior play on the field. We have not. I think the UNI game was coaches causing a near loss. Period. They either did not have the team ready to play or decided to limit what they did. Either way it is not good from the coaching staff.

TOE was also poor execution on several offensive plays. I chalk that up to not running many of those sets/plays during week 1. That also is on the coaches.

Week three was an inferior team and we handled them after the first two possessions

Baylor was poor OL play, poor play calling, and seemed the team was not ready to play. Team and coaches showed they could score in the fourth quarter when Baylor knew what ISU was going to do. Again, bad play calling and that is on the coaches.

I hope things turn around as they have the last two years, but I think right now I am suffering from a massive kool-aide hangover.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Fans and players who say things like that make us look bad. You lost the game, the first step is admitting that.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I WAS BORED......SORRY!
"They keep score for a reason."
"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability."
"To be the man, you have to beat the man."
"Excellence is not a singular act but a habit. You are what you do repeatedly."

"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
"Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost."
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!"
"There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between."
"Football doesn't build character, it reveals character!"
"The more I practice, the luckier I get."

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game."
"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out!"

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I never used word anger, dont put words in my mouth. I'm tired of the mentality that we are the more talented team yet can't finish a game and that its okay. This is becoming a trend with this team. This team should be ready to execute on game 1 in year 4.

You do realize there are a lot of new parts, right? Like skill position players having new roles.

but yeah, of course, year 4. You’re tired. Yada yada.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I have been loyal to our coaches. The seem to recruit better every year, but fewer true freshmen are on the field than last year or the year before. That is okay if we are seeing superior play on the field. We have not. I think the UNI game was coaches causing a near loss. Period. They either did not have the team ready to play or decided to limit what they did. Either way it is not good from the coaching staff.

TOE was also poor execution on several offensive plays. I chalk that up to not running many of those sets/plays during week 1. That also is on the coaches.

Week three was an inferior team and we handled them after the first two possessions

Baylor was poor OL play, poor play calling, and seemed the team was not ready to play. Team and coaches showed they could score in the fourth quarter when Baylor knew what ISU was going to do. Again, bad play calling and that is on the coaches.

I hope things turn around as they have the last two years, but I think right now I am suffering from a massive kool-aide hangover.

ah. Yes. The standard Iowa State dan incapable of acting like he’s been there before, because we haven’t. So you shot your mouth off to a bunch of hawk buddies, and now you’re taking **** for it. Makes you mad doesn’t it?

so now Campbell can be added to the list of guys that don’t know anything. Good job

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
At some level ISU was the better team, at least in terms of talent, and ability. Just need to figure out a lot of things in the details that are killing them, which is part of the team thing.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You are a freaking moron. I am not insulting you Im simply observing and articulating.

Cool story brah.

Sorry if it offends people, but teams that lose in the details, like committing stupid penalties at crucial times, or turning the ball over in crucial times, or not being able to simply fair catch a punt without running into one another, or missing blocks that allow a FG to get blocked, etc, etc, etc..... are just not mentally strong teams. That's just the way it is.

Yes, we showed a lot of heart coming back this week against Baylor, but yet once again let victory slip through our fingers by allowing Baylor's QB run for a first down on 3rd and 9 on their final drive of the game.

We are one of the worst teams in the country at stopping teams on 3rd down and one of the worst at converting 3rd downs too. These are the critical downs on both sides of the ball, and we continue to have mental breakdowns at these critical times in the game. That's what makes you lose games that come down to a play or two.

And all the special teams breakdowns are just a total mental lapse too usually. Our kick returner probably did cost us the Iowa game. That was the only way Iowa even scored their one and only TD on us..... their drive that started at our 25 yd line due to our kick returning.

Yes, this game many times comes down to the details, and the details often times involve not making stupid mistakes and being mentally sharp. We are not very good in those areas.

So, even though I feel like we've probably had the more talent on the field in every game this year, we've only had the better team in two of them. If you make stupid mental mistakes that cost you games and the other team doesn't, then you are not the better team.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Fans on a message board are a lot different than a player saying it to the media. It's a dumb thing to say. That said, its not the end of the world.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
ah. Yes. The standard Iowa State dan incapable of acting like he’s been there before, because we haven’t. So you shot your mouth off to a bunch of hawk buddies, and now you’re taking **** for it. Makes you mad doesn’t it?

so now Campbell can be added to the list of guys that don’t know anything. Good job
Ha ha - I remember giving **** to Hawk fans, instead of now taking **** from them.
Miss those days when we used to beat Iowa...