Leave it to California

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I lived there for 30 years. One of my best friends is deep inside the Pac-12 office. Since Larry Scott took over things have digressed. So, in a desperate move to regain sports status, California is the first over the cliff. They now are setting the precedence for paying college athletes. This is going to be one very messy and complicated thing now. The cost to control under the counter deals just got allot more complicated. As you can see, I'm totally against this idea.
https://deadspin.com/california-lawmakers-passes-bill-allowing-college-athle-1838001341

Last edited:

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
I lived there for 30 years. One of my best friends is deep inside the Pac-12 office. Since Larry Scott took over things have digressed. So, in a desperate move to regain sports status, California is the first over the cliff. They now are setting the precedence for paying college athletes. This is going to be one very messy and complicated thing now. The cost to control under the counter deals just got allot more complicated. As you can see, I'm totally against this idea.
https://deadspin.com/california-lawmakers-passes-bill-allowing-college-athle-1838001341

ok thank you for your take. change is hard for old people. i am also scared of change

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
In my best Sean Connery voice, "A little revolution every now in then is a good thing. Don't you think?" Time to shake things up and let Universities decide whether they want to go the Ivy League / PFL Route like Drake or just have Major Sports Universities be what they truly are (a minor league sports factory). This is way beyond an amateur / professional issue to me. The fact that kids can be paid in one professional sport and come back and play another sport as an "amateur" like Kyler Murray, Chris Weinke, etc. killed the "amateur" idea a long time ago. Plus, the transfer rule for graduated players like Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts is also an academic joke. I like and applaud both kids for graduating from their primary universities, but they are just super free agents now. The whole thing is a mess. They might be wacky in California (former resident myself and I liked living there!), but I do believe they are ultimately going to be on the future side of this issue. In the mean-time, Let's Go State! Beat the Hawks!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If we pay them we set a precedent and open up a new can of worms in terms of employment, paying non-revenue student athletes, etc.

If we don't pay them, the current black market continues on.

Rock and a hard place.

This. They become employees and the whole landscape gets altered. Not necessarily bad, but just a million new things to consider.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
This is tough. All the money that is being raked in, the athletes should definitely get a lot more than they do.

As said above though, this opens a can of worms that will ruin college football. More than likely, this will just allow the rich to get richer. It’s already hard enough to control, but how do you keep teams in the SEC, Texas, etc, from having an all out spending war to put as many of the top athletes on their roster as possible?

Also, no matter what California does, there is still the NCAA membership to worry about. As I believe, marijuana is legal in many states, but is still not allowed by the NCAA, correct?

I never thought this had to do with what the states say their colleges can do, it’s an NCAA thing.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Some tax exempt bowl game executives are getting $1 million + for putting on one game per year, with additional perks included.....the NCAA is the US version of FIFA. Gravy train has to continue.....

Kinda hope that the P5 schools all say to hell with the NCAA and form their own association that allows paying players. They would also control much more of the revenue, and probably not sell their national championship every year like the NCAA does. Could be controlled to a point using some sort of salary cap, but then you're also restricting what some players/teams/sports could potentially make for themselves. Should probably be based on each individual sport and it's revenue though.....having a men's golf team member make the same as a football player makes about as much sense as the current system.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A person should be able to profit from their own likeness. Period.

Other students can do it. Nothing stops a kid on a band scholarship from starting a side band and making money.

Big time college athletics is already dirtier than airport toilet seat.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Seems like allowing the most popular and marketable athletes to profit from their own likeness on their own time is the perfect alternative for those that don't want all players to be paid for playing.

Don't make David Montgomery wait until he's drafted to rake in that sweet Ames Ford money.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Should probably be based on each individual sport and it's revenue though.....having a men's golf team member make the same as a football player makes about as much sense as the current system.
If that becomes the case you can almost say some of these other sports end up being axed. why pay for more then you have to for something that's not bringing in any more revenue for the school.

• Winner
Reactions: CNECloneFan

RagnarLothbrok

Feb 28, 2015
Unfortunately for the PAC12, their league sucks and I can see the NCAA saying "If you want to be a Power 5 conference, then you can't pay the athletes. Otherwise, enjoy going bankrupt with even less money."

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Good let Cali begin and then open up to everyone and they will be right back to being irrelevant when the athletes realize how much on taxes they can save going somewhere else!

:jimlad

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21