Ames Game Day To Do List

Pokit N

Aug 8, 2019
Greetings Cyclone Fans,

I'm an Oklahoma State Alum that lives west of Chicago a ways. I've been too busy with work and kids to ever get back to Stillwater and watch a game, so this year I said "Screw it" and bought tickets for me, the wife, and two girls to the OSU vs ISU game on OCT 26th.

I am really looking forward to a crisp fall day full of football!

So I'm sure you get posts like this from time to time, and I'm SIAP..but what are the must do's on a Gameday in Ames?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Someone really needs to do a solid write up on Ames/ISU Gamedays for visiting fans. A visitor's guide that gets updated every year with bar/restaurant changes and any parking/rule/road construction changes.

Glad you are making the trip over, I think you will thoroughly enjoy your visit. OSU fans are good people, very similar to Iowa State.

Pokit N

Aug 8, 2019
I'd get a brew and a bite to eat at old main. Then after that park in the old Kmart parking lot and walk down to the stadium.
200w.webp

Reactions: VeloClone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The tailgate scene is second to none. I'd get to the game 5-6 hours early and set up a tailgate in a lot if you can. You will make friends with people around you quickly. Walk around the lots and take it all in. Campus is really pretty in the fall and I'd suggest a walk around campus.

Jethros, Wallaby's, Hickory Park, and El Azteca are good restaurants. Have the wife and girls sleep in and go to the Tip Top Lounge for a 6 AM breakfast beer and bowl of chili on gameday.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
My favorite Chicago Brewery is Revolution..https://revbrew.com/

I'll bring some of my favorites w/ me.

Revolution was awesome when we stopped by the taproom a couple years ago. I think you'll have a good reception to bringing those by a tailgate. Just don't bring any beers from Alarmist (specifically Entrenched).

Reactions: Pokit N

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
This will be homecoming and hopefully a night game. I would suggest a good breakfast at the cafe or provisions (closer to the stadium). Walk around campus or reimen gardens then hit the lots. You could buy a parking pass, or park in vet med. Uber over and bounce around or just meet some friendly folks on here that will share food and conversation. It’s worth checking out the debauchery in the student lot for a few minutes too. I know it always brings a smile to my face.

Pokit N

Aug 8, 2019
This will be homecoming and hopefully a night game. I would suggest a good breakfast at the cafe or provisions (closer to the stadium). Walk around campus or reimen gardens then hit the lots. You could buy a parking pass, or park in vet med. Uber over and bounce around or just meet some friendly folks on here that will share food and conversation. It’s worth checking out the debauchery in the student lot for a few minutes too. I know it always brings a smile to my face.
Oh man, I didn't know it was gonna be homecoming...a night game would be excellent.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
As many have said, our tailgating scene makes the game day experience special. Our fan bases are pretty similar. There are some knuckleheads in both, but overall friendly and welcoming.

I would @ a few of the Ok State posters that drop by so you could get their perspective, but I can't remember their usernames right now.

Edit- just remembered one:
@andyokstate

Last edited:

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Come visit our tailgate family friendly with a little drinking;). We are there early, depending on the forecast and time of game we adjust our menu accordingly. Depending on weather, I will either do a brisket, a whole pork loin. If its an early game, I will do the scrambled eggs with hash brown, my own smoked bacon or Canadian bacon. One of the guys that we tailgate with runs a brewery so he always brings different growlers with him. Casey's breakfast pizza, along with some Krispy Kreme donuts. Plenty of Jello shots and kid friendly jello shots.

If it's cold, I make a mean bacon potato cheese soup. We also do one tailgate we call "Fryday" , we just deep fry everything from cookie dough to chicken wings. Jalapeno bacon wrapped tots are the bomb. Even did Scottish eggs!

Last edited:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Come visit our tailgate family friendly with a little drinking;). We are there early, depending on the forecast and time of game we adjust our menu accordingly. Depending on weather, I will either do a brisket, a whole pork loin. If its an early game, I will do the scrambled eggs with hash brown, my own smoked bacon or Canadian bacon. One of the guys that we tailgate with runs a brewery so he always brings different growlers with him. Casey's breakfast pizza, along with some Krispy Kreme donuts. Plenty of Jello shots and kid friendly jello shots.

If it cold, I make a mean bacon potato cheese soup. We also do one tailgate we call "Fryday" , we just deep fry everything from cookie dough to chicken wings. Jalapeno bacon wrapped tots are the bomb. Even did Scottish eggs!

HEY! Invite a few of us locals as well!! HAHA