Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you’re a beer fan and have the kids in tow, hit up Alluvial Brewing on Friday. It’s a beautiful facility located on 40 acres of prairie on the north edge of town. The beer is excellent, and the atmosphere is family friendly. Torrent Brewing downtown is very solid too.

If the Ames Jethro’s does Saturday brunch, and it’s a night game, hit that for brunch. Jethro’s is a BBQ place that makes ok BBQ/burgers/sandwiches, but has phenomenal brunch and smoked chicken wings.

Great Plains is the iconic Ames pizza joint, but I prefer Pizza Pit. Their wings are also crack laden.

Wallaby’s, Brick City, and Cafe Beaudelaire are all great spots for burgers.

You will be surprised how much Ames feels like Stillwater.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
If you're driving your own vehicle, I'd suggest parking at the Memorial Union parking ramp. You can walk around the campus from there and Jack Trice stadium is less than a mile walk, plus you'd be strolling thru the best tailgate areas to get there. And it'll be cheaper than $20, and less hassle to leave after the game.

If you go to Hickory Park, don't bother with the BBQ. Their hamburgers are very good and reasonably priced. Delicious deep fried cheese curds too.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
If you’re a beer fan and have the kids in tow, hit up Alluvial Brewing on Friday. It’s a beautiful facility located on 40 acres of prairie on the north edge of town. The beer is excellent, and the atmosphere is family friendly. Torrent Brewing downtown is very solid too.

should rename it glacial till brewing. that name is weak just like the b horizons that have developed in the clarion soil beneath it. i guess they werent superactive (cec joke) in searching for a name. must be a bunch of moraines that run it. thank u

• Useful
Reactions: cyowan

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I can't speak to the one in Ames because I haven't taken kids to that one, but my kids love the one in Ankeny. Guess I don't know what you mean by "safe". They have those wax stick things they give to kids to play with. My girls love those things, and they always like the food. Hell, my daughters daycare took a field trip there for lunch. Lol!

Hickory Park is ok as long as you know what it is. Dont go in there thinking you are going to get great BBQ, cause your not. It sucks. Or I guess some people want to try and say it's not bbq and they dont call it that. Fine. Their hickory smoked meats suck then. Stick with a burger and fries and it's fine. You'll get a **** ton of mediocre food for cheap, so that's a selling point I guess.

I guess all those people in line are idiots then. HP is good food that isn’t expensive. Not my favorite place in town, but nothing on their menu sucks, not even the bbq. We probably go there more than I’d like just because it’s the most kid friendly place in town, but I’ve also never left that place unhappy.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
2019_Football_Parking_Map.jpg

B6 on the grass along 4th st. Stop by for some brew, pork chops on a stick (state fair style), and good football conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokit N

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
For parking, if you get their early you can park on the side streets west of the stadium for free, most of those spots fill up 5 to 6 hours before kickoff. The rest of the general public parking is too the south of the stadium, G1 and G2 are for students, but you can park in G3-G6 or vet med. All except vet med are grass lots, parking is $20.00 for the day.
The only bad thing about parking to the south of the stadium is most of the tailgating will be going on to the North, in the parking between JTS and Hilton. Be sure to walk up there and to see the rows upon rows of tents and the tailgating.
Just walk around, plenty of people will offer you food and drink. Remember out motto, At ISU win or lose we still booze.

This isn't true at all, there is a ton of tailgating taking place in the grass lots and honestly IMO grass lots > paved lots.

Reactions: Macloney

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This isn't true at all, there is a ton of tailgating taking place in the grass lots and honestly IMO grass lots > paved lots.

I did not mean that there is no tailgating to the south of the stadium, there is, we tailgate on that side also. But the best visual for a person there for the first time is between JTS and Hilton. Just rows upon rows of people tailgating.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I did not mean that there is no tailgating to the south of the stadium, there is, we tailgate on that side also. But the best visual for a person there for the first time is between JTS and Hilton. Just rows upon rows of people tailgating.

Gotcha. Yeah that makes more sense.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Since when has the tailgating south of the stadium sucked? That's where the best tailgating is located (grass student lots). And the other grass lots always seemed to have good tailgate action.

Is the north that much better? I know there are the big corporate tents and paved donor lots... but why is that better?

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I can't speak to the one in Ames because I haven't taken kids to that one, but my kids love the one in Ankeny. Guess I don't know what you mean by "safe". They have those wax stick things they give to kids to play with. My girls love those things, and they always like the food. Hell, my daughters daycare took a field trip there for lunch. Lol!

Hickory Park is ok as long as you know what it is. Dont go in there thinking you are going to get great BBQ, cause your not. It sucks. Or I guess some people want to try and say it's not bbq and they dont call it that. Fine. Their hickory smoked meats suck then. Stick with a burger and fries and it's fine. You'll get a **** ton of mediocre food for cheap, so that's a selling point I guess.
I'd say their Ice Cream menu is their biggest selling point.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Since when has the tailgating south of the stadium sucked? That's where the best tailgating is located (grass student lots). And the other grass lots always seemed to have good tailgate action.

Is the north that much better? I know there are the big corporate tents and paved donor lots... but why is that better?
Better is a relative term. I think they are just saying it is bigger and gives more of a wow factor for first time visitors to JTS. There is great tailgating everywhere around the Jack which is why it is more of a rare and exciting game day experience.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
If it's a night game and you like horticulture at all go to Reiman Gardens which is right by Jack Trice. There is a charge but it is a very good display of plants and there is a small butterfly house as well. We took our grandkids just yesterday and they had fun - just something different to do and represents Iowa State in a very good way. Plan for one to two hours.

• Informative

Pokit N

Aug 8, 2019
Folks I gotta say, this thread has exceeded my expectations! Really appreciate all of your info and feedback. FYI...I already have hotel reservations at the Raddison Convention Center...which I believe is where the visiting teams usually stay? I "think" its within walking distance of the stadium...but maybe it would be fun to order BBQ at (checks notes) Hickory Park, then drive from the hotel to a tailgating area (north of the stadium) and set up camp...Just a thought. Looking forward to walking around campus and meeting some Cyclone fans. We have a couple of months to plan things out. I'll be checking in from time to time. Thanks Again!

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
First off, cheers to you for making the trek. I hope your family's experience in Ames is a great one, and you can enjoy yourself here even though the Cowboys leave with an "L". ;)

If I were you, I'd take the girls to Great Plains Sauce & Dough for pizza, or if you're looking for something lighter you can grab a sandwich from Downtown Deli, then take a walk down Main Street and check out the local shops and eateries.

Stop at Cafe Diem for a coffee or hot chocolate, Chocolaterie Stam for some sweet treats, and then either Della Viti for a glass of wine, or go slightly off Main Street to check out the arcade bar Time Out Ames. It's kid friendly until 7:00 p.m., and has a ton of arcade games, pinball games and skeet ball, for no more than $0.50 a play for most games.

There are also plenty of places to shop on Main Street, including Duck Worth Wearing (kids consignment store), the Loft, and Cooks Emporium. Go to the Vinyl Cafe and check out their selection of vintage records. Plenty of other options as well: http://www.amesdowntown.org/shop-1.

As many have said, Hickory Park is a local legend, and while the food is good (depending on who you ask), the kids will love the ice cream treats. The wait can be insanely long, especially on game day, so be aware of that. If you're looking for good barbecue, I'd skip Jethro's and go to a new place called Cornbread BBQ, which is at the West end of Main Street. It's brand new (formerly a food truck) and is pretty terrific.

As others have said, the other "kid-friendly" spots would be Perfect Games, as well as Reiman Gardens which is right next to Jack Trice.

Take a walk around the Iowa State campus, including the Memorial Union and the Campanile. I'm biased, but it's one of the most beautiful college campuses in the country.

If you can, find yourself some fellow Cowboy fans, or better yet a friendly ISU group to tailgate with. It's not game-day in Ames unless you find one of these. ISU fans are known for being hospitable. There are always going to be some bad apples in the bunch, but hopefully you can see past them and find some good ones. Football in Ames is special, and our fans know how to do it right.

Hope this helps, good luck and have safe travels!

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
As was mentioned in the previous post Hickory Park wait times can be long. This is just in reference to the wait to get a table. As there is often a large waiting list at peak times. They are incredibly efficient in cycling people through that place once seated.

They serve 15,000 people in an average week. week and over 20,000 lbs of meat each week. It seats about 450 people and during dinner is pretty much always at capacity.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Folks I gotta say, this thread has exceeded my expectations! Really appreciate all of your info and feedback. FYI...I already have hotel reservations at the Raddison Convention Center...which I believe is where the visiting teams usually stay? I "think" its within walking distance of the stadium...but maybe it would be fun to order BBQ at (checks notes) Hickory Park, then drive from the hotel to a tailgating area (north of the stadium) and set up camp...Just a thought. Looking forward to walking around campus and meeting some Cyclone fans. We have a couple of months to plan things out. I'll be checking in from time to time. Thanks Again!

The Radisson is walking distance, but it's a heck of a walk. If it's an afternoon or night game, Hickory Park will be jam packed around lunch, probably a 45 minute to an hour wait. My advice would be to call and order takeout (either there or Great Plains) and take it with you to the lots SE of the stadium. Lots north of the stadium are all donor and you won't get in there unless you buy a pass online on the secondary market. Now, if it's an 11am game, my advice would be to get in there as soon as you wake up and either find some food in the lots/concessions or order a Casey's breakfast pizza to go. Then you could find a place to go out to eat after the game.

• Informative

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
The Radisson is walking distance, but it's a heck of a walk. If it's an afternoon or night game, Hickory Park will be jam packed around lunch, probably a 45 minute to an hour wait. My advice would be to call and order takeout (either there or Great Plains) and take it with you to the lots SE of the stadium. Lots north of the stadium are all donor and you won't get in there unless you buy a pass online on the secondary market. Now, if it's an 11am game, my advice would be to get in there as soon as you wake up and either find some food in the lots/concessions or order a Casey's breakfast pizza to go. Then you could find a place to go out to eat after the game.

To clarify a bit on this, not that this is incorrect, but you can go to the north tailgating lots and walk around without a pass. You just can’t drive into the lots and park. That is what I would recommend to do is walk around the North lots and any of the others if you have time. You will definitely find hospitable people willing to offer a cold brew and food to you and your fam, and I would be willing to bet you haven’t seen a tailgating scene like you will see when looking at the lots north of the stadium between JTS and Hilton from the Olsen building...it is something to behold.

Last edited:

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I would go to the grass lots if I were you. G2 and G3 are the 'student lots', but plenty of adults tailgate there too. Vetmed, G4, G5, G8, and G9 are probably more 'family friendly'. Its $20.00 to park and tailgate in these areas; tailgating starts 6 hours before kickoff.

These threads always start a debate about Hickory Park. Some will tell you its good BBQ, others not so much. They do have good burgers, and you get a lot of food for not a lot of $, which is why its a popular place.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron