Clothes Washer/dryer recommendations

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Thanks for all the input. Front loading is a requirement due to my wife's physical limitations otherwise I'd probably get top loading

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Looking to replace our front-loading maytag set that sounds like it's going to explode at any minute. My wife prefers front-loader but that's really the only requirement. Go.
My son is one of the top salesmen at NFM, really knows his stuff and is very helpful. He started in appliances and has moved to the telephone sales. He can sell anything and from all stores. I will pm his contact info.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
11 year old front load Maytag washing machine- needs a new drain pump- gonna cost about $120.

Fix it knowing something else could go wrong because of its age or buy brand new for $600-$700?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have a vintage Kenmore pair - top loading washer and gas dryer from the 1980's. Still running strong. I had to replace the drum drive belt in the dryer about 8 years ago. I hope they last me the rest of my life. Basic, simple, and reliable. That would be my criteria when I have to replace them.

I have a combo stack single unit (GE) in FL. It works but makes all kinds of weird noises and when it goes on spin cycle you want to move out for a while, even with the door closed it is LOUD!

It was virtually the only decent capacity unit small enough to fit in the closet so I didn't have a big list of options.

I have the same of the same vintage. Haven't had a single issue with either. Sears repair guy was out for a warranty call on a built in KitchenAid oven and it was a quick fix and mentioned he still had time on the call and could look at anything else I had from Sears. Mentioned the washer/dryer set so he looked them over. Was surprised that even the belt didn't need replacing. Light use, though, even with the significant other here there were no kids driving daily laundry.

Reactions: MeanDean

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
11 year old front load Maytag washing machine- needs a new drain pump- gonna cost about $120.

Fix it knowing something else could go wrong because of its age or buy brand new for $600-$700?

Just got done doing this on a Samsung washer. Was fairly easy after watching a couple youtube videos and I am not very handy. Part locally was 110.00. Off amazon was 17.00. Couple hours of time and we were up an running. Not sure if it is really $120, but sharing my experience as if I would not have done a little research would have paid allot more.

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008

I’d prob bite the bullet and get a new one.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I bought a whirlpool front load washer and corresponding gas dryer last year so far no issues, and thats with dog hair and major grease/oil from work clothes. parents replaced their old kenmore dryer from the early 90's and a washer I can't remember the brand of (replaced the Kenmore washer from that set) with the same set we have now and no issues for theirs either. Kenmore/Whirlpool/Maytag are all the same brand really with a few changes.

from what I heard from Sears and Home Depot rep was to stay away from the newer Samsung sets, straight garbage there.

NFM guys recommended Samsung to me. I had researched them before and they have top reviews. Whatever brand you’re looking at always search it on your phone in store imo

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

If you can find the part online it is easy to replace. That said, 11 years old is pushing it for modern appliances. I've replaced a lot of parts in ours and this current issue decided it was enough.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Speed queen top load with agitator. End thread

Very good washing machine that is old school. Built to last, leading to one of its two only downsides. It's pretty heavy. And it's a little loud. Other than that it does the job of washing clothes reliably very well.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Speed queen top load with agitator. End thread

We just bought a Samsung front loader, mostly due to our laundry room set up. we would have went with the speed queen top loader if space would have permitted. The guy at the appliance store basically said washers basically go:

1 top loader with agitator
2 front loader
3 top loader without agitator

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Very good washing machine that is old school. Built to last, leading to one of its two only downsides. It's pretty heavy. And it's a little loud. Other than that it does the job of washing clothes reliably very well.

The Speed Queen's also use like 30 gallons of water to clean your clothes. The front loaders use like 7. And take 3x as long.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Curious why you think they are significantly better? We have had a front loader for the past ten years and NFM sales person agreed that front loaders generally do a better job cleaning clothes.

I've had experience with 2 front loaders. Neither of them could remove the heavily soiled, oil, and grease stains from my clothes. My agitator machine is able to remove them with no issues.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for all the input. Front loading is a requirement due to my wife's physical limitations otherwise I'd probably get top loading

Use powder detergent and you should be fine on mildew/smell issues. The animal fat in liquids is generally what causes issues. We use powder, leave the door open overnight and no problems four years in on ours - including almost a year of cloth diapering.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I have a 6 year old Maytag top loader (no-agitator). I've noticed that there is a bad smell after a couple weeks of using the Affresh cleaner recently. Is this because of the detergent I'm using (right now using Purex liquird) or do you think there is a bigger issue?

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I have a 6 year old Maytag top loader (no-agitator). I've noticed that there is a bad smell after a couple weeks of using the Affresh cleaner recently. Is this because of the detergent I'm using (right now using Purex liquird) or do you think there is a bigger issue?

You might check and see if your drain hose is funky. Replace it if it is. I’ve also ended up cleaning the hoses between the drain hose and drain pump as well that can get funky.