Mortgage Refi Question

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I just checked and refinance at my bank is 3.9% and my mortgage is at 4%. What is falling off a cliff?

Yeah, same.

Worth keeping an eye on, particularly if more rate drops are on the way, but at least for me its not showing yet.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
without origination fees, your looking between $2-$3K but depending on what the current rate vs refi rate, as well as if you have Mortgage Insurance (aka: MI/PMI/BPMI/etc), you can recoup that cost anywhere between 12-36months. if you get an appraisal waiver... cut around $500 off those costs. If you're still worried about that cost, just talk to your lender about it.

The numbers can look intimidating once you include the funding of a new escrow account but you also skip a months payment and would receive an escrow refund from your current servicer so those figures net out once its all said and done.

full disclosure, I am an originator so my livelihood is tied to people buying and refinancing their homes. with that said, I'm not in the business of turning loans just to cash a check. I've been working on a lot of refi's the last couple months and doing a ton of side by side comparisons for folks, it's been overwhelming positive for folks that originated within the last 24 months. If you have any improvements you want to do or debt consolidation, this is not a bad time to do it... even if rates continue to drop some, just not sure where the floor on the rate drop is.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Losers. You shouldn't buy a house if you can't pay straight cash for it.

What about if everyone tells you your poor and we are looking at a second house, temporarily of course? But yeah, I've been waiting and I think we'll go see a banker soon.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyDude16

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
In process now. Was at 4.75%. Locked in on Friday a rate of 3.50%. My lender is putting all fees into my payments over the length of the loan. Just have to pay appraisal on home around $400 for that. Saving $120 a month on mortgage.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I never got an appraisal when I did my home. The bank said I did not need one if I didn't want to pay for it. It saved me about 300 bucks. For all you mortgage experts out there how uncommon is that?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I never got an appraisal when I did my home. The bank said I did not need one if I didn't want to pay for it. It saved me about 300 bucks. For all you mortgage experts out there how uncommon is that?

It's getting a lot more common, somewhat to my chagrin. But there are a lot of situations you don't really need a full appraisal. If you have something like a 30% plus LTV a full appraisal just isn't needed. I just wish I was allowed to actually compete for those products without risking my license.