Donovan Jackson - playing in Europe

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
So, I missed all this. Apparently Donovan Jackson played with a club called Pardubice in the Czech Republic (I'm still using that name). He averaged 14 points a game and has just signed with a Greek club (which is probably an upgrade in pay). There isn't a lot of English language news on either of the teams so I haven't even confirmed what the name of the team is. I saw this on Monte's Twitter feed.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Donovan averaged 14 PPG and shot about 38% from 3 in his season in the Czech league. Generally, the smaller European countries' leagues don't pay good bucks. Wasn't Darrell Bowie making about $40k in Romania. Hopefully, he'll get a better payday in Greece. I'll see if I can track down what the name of the team is.

Here are some highlights from his 2018/2019 season (if these highlights are representative, he's scoring more in the paint than he did at ISU):

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I found his stats from his Czech team's profile. I think the top line is their domestic league and "FEC" might be the EuroCup (which Matt Thomas' team won) or another regional international competition (they're a little wonky in how they pasted below):

Season Club Games Mins Pts Reb Ast Stl Blk FT% 2p% 3p%
2018/19 Pardubice (CZE) 24 22 14.1 1.9 2.1 0.5 80% 44% 38%
2018/19 Pardubice (FEC) 6 24 14.2 2.1 1.2 0.7 90% 46% 21%
2018/19 Pardubice (FEC) 2 22 18.0 3.0 1.0 0.5 100% 58% 42%

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Man, there's a lot worse places to live than Czechia. I'd consider moving to Prague in a heartbeat if I was younger and unmarried.

This reminded me of something. I worked for a company where our department were all remote employees. We could live anywhere we wanted as long as it was within the US and we had reliable high speed internet. I was told it was for tax reasons. We had all signed paperwork that said we agreed to it.

A single guy up and moved to Prague, from Chicago. He was there for almost a year before they figured it out. Got fired.

Another guy I worked with at ISU (I was a student, he was a full time employee in his 40s) went to visit his brother in Amsterdam. Before he left, I said "you're not coming back, are you?" He looked at me funny and said, "I'm off for six weeks, back after that."

He never came back. It took a few months before they figured out how to "fire" him. He had already arranged with a co-worker to have all of his stuff sold, including a classic muscle car, and to wire money over to him. Including a few months worth of paycheck.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The TBT thing go me to thinking why ISU couldn't field a all isu team. Looked up and several are overseas. Hogue, Kane, Ejim, McKay, even Brackins is still playing overseas ball.
Kane has figured out how to win it with Overseas Elite and McKay hasn't stuck with a team in over a year. Might be hard to get critical mass.

Brackins is still playing?? I didn't know that.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
The TBT thing go me to thinking why ISU couldn't field a all isu team. Looked up and several are overseas. Hogue, Kane, Ejim, McKay, even Brackins is still playing overseas ball.
On the Iowa United vs the Aftershocks broadcast, Fran F said that McGee was the only ISU player on the team because everyone else was in "the league!" That comment was GOLD!!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Thanks for sharing, really happy for Donovan. Also...any Donovan Jackson thread needs its obligatory pic:

Jackson_Donovan_Kansas_2016_17_3.jpg

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
Before he left, I said "you're not coming back, are you?" He looked at me funny and said, "I'm off for six weeks, back after that."

He never came back.

First off, congrats to DJ & the other global Clones on their continued success overseas....such a great opportunity to not only do what they love & get paid for it but also experience life abroad.

Having said that, people asked me the same thing when I moved abroad a decade ago & my response was eerily similar.

I honestly can't foresee myself ever moving back permanently - cost of living, vast travel & work opportunities, cultural & linguistic immersion, the people....realization we're all much more similar than we are different, etc.

Without going into great detail or getting 'political' - if you have never traveled (all-inclusive resorts don't count) or lived abroad, you're definitely selling yourself short. If you can, go!

It will profoundly change your perspective on so many things & might even get you asking questions & thinking about things never considered before.

As Americans, we live so much better than nearly the entire global population but find the most ridiculous things to infatuate over or complain about....that all changes once you realize how fortunate you are to have been born/raised an American.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Agreed. I work in study abroad.

I understand that not everyone has the resources to see the world. But I never quite understand when people have the money to travel but have no interest. Different values, certainly.

First off, congrats to DJ & the other global Clones on their continued success overseas....such a great opportunity to not only do what they love & get paid for it but also experience life abroad.

Having said that, people asked me the same thing when I moved abroad a decade ago & my response was eerily similar.

I honestly can't foresee myself ever moving back permanently - cost of living, vast travel & work opportunities, cultural & linguistic immersion, the people....realization we're all much more similar than we are different, etc.

Without going into great detail or getting 'political' - if you have never traveled (all-inclusive resorts don't count) or lived abroad, you're definitely selling yourself short. If you can, go!

It will profoundly change your perspective on so many things & might even get you asking questions & thinking about things never considered before.

As Americans, we live so much better than nearly the entire global population but find the most ridiculous things to infatuate over or complain about....that all changes once you realize how fortunate you are to have been born/raised an American.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
So it looks like Donovan is going to be playing on the beautiful island of Rhodes (where the colossus statue - a wonder of the ancient world - used to stand).

Rhodes (or Rodos) is a lovely island, filled with ancient temples and ruins. It's close to Turkey.

The club is in the top division of Greece's basketball league, which is a very good league. That's probably a step up from the Czech league in salary and competition.

I'm happy for DJ but I had no idea he was playing overseas least year.