Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I have baking ingredients. I want to bake. IF I bake Z will eat a bit and the rest is around for me to eat or toss.... first world problems.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Speaking of foxes, I was told the lesson from the Ginger Bread Man was to not trust foxes and Little Red's lesson was not to trust wolves.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
@BuffettClone how are your kiddos doing? I thought you had two, toddler aged??

Three actually, 7,5 and 2. They're doing well now and enjoying summer. Had a bit of a scare with the oldest in April though. He was complaining of stomach pain for a few days so we took him to urgent care. They told us its probably constipation and to use Miralax for a couple days. After that did nothing we took him back in and they quickly sent us to the ER, it turns out he had a ruptured appendix...for about a week. Luckily his body walled off the infection and prevented any spreading, but we spent 4 days in the hospital on antibiotics in April and then went back in about a month ago to remove it.

Now he feels better and has 3 scars on his tummy to impress the chicks with.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It is dangerous indeed to assume that everyone else's parents were exactly like one's own. Mine eyes were especially opened when I prosecuted juvenile court for a time (not that I'm suggesting Boxster's mother is like some of the parents I encountered there).

I recall one hearing where Judge Dull (whose courtroom manner was the antithesis of his surname) stopped the hearing to exclaim in his booming voice "Ma'am, you are the most pathetic excuse for a parent that I have ever encountered". And he was likely correct.

I wish I could say that that's a cool story, bro, but it wasn't .

Family in general. My grandparents are not nice people but when people find out you have no relationship with them.........they assume the problem must be with you because who doesn't like their grandparents? I feel safe presuming Erik has had to deal with that too if he hints at a less than idyllic relationship with his mother. Well you know what? Being a ****** person doesn't always disappear because you had a child or a grandchild. Some are horrified if you cut off family because "family is everything" but bad people shouldn't get (repeated) passes because of genetics.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Three actually, 7,5 and 2. They're doing well now and enjoying summer. Had a bit of a scare with the oldest in April though. He was complaining of stomach pain for a few days so we took him to urgent care. They told us its probably constipation and to use Miralax for a couple days. After that did nothing we took him back in and they quickly sent us to the ER, it turns out he had a ruptured appendix...for about a week. Luckily his body walled off the infection and prevented any spreading, but we spent 4 days in the hospital on antibiotics in April and then went back in about a month ago to remove it.

Now he feels better and has 3 scars on his tummy to impress the chicks with.

Dude was this when mine was in the ER too? Did you not mention this at all? That is so scary!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Triple post, I'm making a homemade cake/cupcakes Friday with a recipe I've never done before. That's a good idea, right??

Reactions: cyrevkah

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Well, now I feel bad about the mom post. :( It certainly wasn't my intent to rub anyone's nose in it about family. I feel very fortunate to have had the family and upbringing I enjoyed, and believe me when I say I have mucho compassion for those of you who somehow managed to become top-shelf people without those advantages.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Dude was this when mine was in the ER too? Did you not mention this at all? That is so scary!

It was scary, especially when the surgeon came in and said something to the effect of if this was the wild west he would have been one of the very few to survive this with the way his body reacted to it. I think he was trying to make us feel better, but it scared me even more.

I believe it was the same time or at least really close. I don't think I brought it up in here though as I didn't want to steal your thunder!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It was scary, especially when the surgeon came in and said something to the effect of if this was the wild west he would have been one of the very few to survive this with the way his body reacted to it. I think he was trying to make us feel better, but it scared me even more.

I believe it was the same time or at least really close. I don't think I brought it up in here though as I didn't want to steal your thunder!

Dude, there is room for more than one sick child's story in here at a time. I was thinking kinda like the dr that he's so lucky his body didn't go septic but yeah, in the moment it's not super comforting. Like ours saying "he's scaring the older doctor so ambulance ride for him" I think as a way to verify we were right to bring him in. Cool thanks for terrifying me.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Well, now I feel bad about the mom post. :( It certainly wasn't my intent to rub anyone's nose in it about family. I feel very fortunate to have had the family and upbringing I enjoyed, and believe me when I say I have mucho compassion for those of you who somehow managed to become top-shelf people without those advantages.

I love my mom and still talk to her. I hate that she doesn't understand the allergy thing for Erik. I still call her once in awhile.

In general I agreed with what you said,but then I thought really the hugs/love from my kiddo tops that. You meant well!

• Friendly
Reactions: SCyclone

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Dude, there is room for more than one sick child's story in here at a time. I was thinking kinda like the dr that he's so lucky his body didn't go septic but yeah, in the moment it's not super comforting. Like ours saying "he's scaring the older doctor so ambulance ride for him" I think as a way to verify we were right to bring him in. Cool thanks for terrifying me.

The Dr's comment just really made it sink in how close we could have been to losing him. This kid has scared the bejesus out of us too many times already in his 7 years. The wife was in the hospital on bed rest for the last 7 weeks of the pregnancy with him due to placental previa, he spent 10 days in the NICU on after birth in an incubator on oxygen and feeding tube and also spent 3 or 4 days in the hospital at 4 months old with bad RSV.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Hey @ImJustKCClone, my Jeopardy desk calendar today:

Moon Walking - $1000

The second moon-landing mission, this Apollo flight got hit by lightning about 36 seconds after launching.

Status
Not open for further replies.