Generation Y and Z Debt

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
High schools fail kids here as do the colleges in not going over that kind of stuff.

Umm, no. PARENTS fail here first. Schools should not be a substitute for absent parenting and giving your kids a solid financial footing. Most schools have taken “home economics” out, which is maybe your point but it’s lazy as a parent to assume someone else should teach this stuff. Controversial Gen Xer here...sorry.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sure its a malicious and bad faith comparison, just like you saying "you do not go to college, and you can learn it on the job".
The fact is your wife would not be allowed to do a residency, or fellow learning, if she had first not achieved an undergraduate degree and then attended and graduate from med school.
Whether is fair or not really does not matter, those are the rules, and we are not the ones that get to change them.

I think you have a bit of a failure of imagination then.

You can say the system is a "given," but no order in human affairs is ever a given. You seem to think the credential rat race is forever, so the only thing we can do is pour more into it and hope for the best to push more people through. Sorry, but stamping out degrees does little to create good jobs. It only decides who receives them. So back to the example...

If we did not have the emphasis on undergraduate education that we do as a society, maybe she could have went straight into medical school out of high school, after an AA, or after working a short while and saved the time/money she blew as an undergraduate. You end up with the same doctor with the same relevant training in the end.

Sound crazy? Not really -- used to work like that. Medical schools, like corporate America, just decided to be picky because they could and others paid for it.

Your point was not backed up by any evidence or facts. Just your opinion. Asking me to refute it is like asking me to refute the assertion there are leprechauns.

I have not denied you learn on the job. Here is your argument though.

1) you learn a lot of stuff on the job you didn't learn in school
2) what you learn in school is useless
2) therefore what you learned in school is useless and education isn't need nor are certificates

You accuse someone of begging the question when that is exactly what you did.
I am an attorney and the information I learned in law school wasn't useless. Far from it. I would say it it was essential to me in order to be able to perform my job competently.

Calling any higher education "worthless," if I ever did, is certainly hyperbole on my part.

I definitely learned some computing and composition skills while an undergraduate that are with me to this day. Then again, I probably would have learned them at the same age if I was working at a similar job to the one that I had, anyways. I would imagine it is probably the same for you even going into a profession like law. Does it really beat out a control group?

There is plenty of literature out there about the cognitive effects of higher education...

https://www.ssrc.org/publications/view/985FB16E-4023-E011-ADEF-001CC477EC84/

...I could start citing if you want to go down that path.

You mean the study paid for by Sally Mae? Next.

Oh by the way, the average debt of a college grad in 2018 was close to 30k if I recall.

Their raw data source is here...

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/scfindex.htm

Even if the average debt for an undergraduate is the price of a new Camry instead of a decent used one, I still do not feel much sympathy for them.

(1.) The earnings premium they should have should take care of that fine.

(2.) Been under much more (and like 6x-7x more) -- and been fine.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It has already been said, but JUCO and working is a perfectly fine strategy for getting your degree. No reason why you can't be a full time student and have a full time job (or multiple part time jobs). Honestly that (trying to juggle it all) taught me as much, if not more, than anything I learned in college.

When GT Jr. goes off to school, I anticipate him going JUCO route and living at home while he is doing so. His first semester may be a gimme. Successive semester funding will be determined by how he performs in the prior semester. Having and maintaining employment through this will also be a requirement. I like to think of it as a contractual agreement where he has some skin in the game. If he wants it bad enough, he will figure it out.

Not sure why college is a right. I knew it was important so I stooped down so low I actually started working as a pre-teen then enlisted in the USAF for, among other things, education benefits.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
A couple things to think about:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/22/pf/emergency-expenses-household-finances/index.html

The gist of this article is that 40% of Americans - right now, today - can't cover a $400 emergency expense.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...rrassing-to-rely-on-them-after-27/1705355001/

This article initially explains that parents are angry that their children rely on them financially until they are almost 30 years old. In the next paragraph, these children think (over half of them, anyway) they will be more successful than their parents.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, I can only refer to my learned experience. I didn't buy my first home until I was 34 years old (and I had a 30 year mortgage at that point). I didn't upgrade again until I was 49 years old, and that was because I built my house myself. My family didn't own 2 vehicles until my first wife had to go to work because our oldest went to college.

Today, people want what their parents had, but they want it right now. And they are (probably) going into debt that eats up every bit of income they have. To think that 2 of every 5 adults in this country couldn't come up with $400 for a blown-up microwave or the deductible on a vehicle collision is pretty astounding.

I'm a Boomer, and I have suffered through a lot of criticism in these threads. Some of it is valid, to be sure, but I think it is human nature to first insist that we will be different (better) than our elders, and then gradually realize we have basically turned into them.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This won't be popular but I think it's wrong for parents to not plan for and pay for their kids' college, if they have the means to of course. I see so many people take 3 vacations per year, drive nice cars, build new houses, etc that don't save money for their kids' college. You have 18 years to save money and prepare for college on their behalf, and they have maybe 3-4 years to do that - why is it their responsibility? Isn't it crazy to expect a kid to put money away for their own college working minimum wage, part-time jobs, while their parents make decent money in a full time career? I just think priorities are way out of whack among parents - I will drive a beater car for the rest of my life if it means I can send my kids to college without debt, but most people don't look at it that way.

$250/month for 18 years at 8% is $120,000 saved for college.

I don't agree with you often, but I agree here to a point. I put in the caveat that parents' shouldn't sacrifice their retirement (which you can't take out loans for) at the cost of college (which you can take loans for). I think to your example though, the assumption is those parents have plenty they could save for retirement (whether or not they are is a different story).

I do think it's ridiculous the burden some want to put on an 18 year to figure out the most profitable career, figure out how to pay for it, understand the full ramifications of all of this - and some don't seem to have the realization that these kids do not always have parents who are well-versed in this process to guide them through it. Or even access to school counselors and such to guide them through FAFSA. My family worked with a professional accountant each year for farm taxes and he ****** up one year and missed the FAFSA deadline so I had a nice chunk that I got to pay on my own because of someone else's mistake. Most of my student loans actually came from that year.

My husband worked all through high school. The money he saved up through four years of working was gone in the first year of college. And he didn't have to send any money back to help support his family, he was able to spend it all on tuition.

Of course I think it's good for the kids to get their feet wet and be invested in the cost of their education. But we shouldn't be drowning them in it. My husband and I having an affordable amount of loans has been the biggest step up in life we've had. And it's put us in a place where we can be saving for our son's college now to hopefully give him that boost as well.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Ummmm are you hiring?

There is quite the arbitrage opportunity available for doing school cheaply in the Midwest and moving to the East Coast for higher salaries. I recommend it to anybody.

Living in a trash can during my 20s helped, too.

Not hiring now, but we were late last year. It tends to ebb and flow. PM me a CV.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Would your MD wife be able to practice without the degree? Would I be able to teach without the license? For many jobs that piece of paper is needed to actually get the job. It doesn't matter that I use very little of it in my day to day work, without it, I can not get the job.

What jobs can I get today without some sort of education or technical training? Few is any, the days of starting to work at the factory, putting in your 30 years and retiring to the good life is pretty much gone.

The US is becoming a three tiered society. The top 5 to 10%, never have to worry about money for the rest of their life. The next 30 to 40% are living comfortable to a little above. Everyone else is either poor or living pay check to pay check. Average wages rose $ 0.06 last quarter, so 6 cents increase in wages. Current minimum wage is $ 7.25 and hour, if it had kept up with what it was in 1973 it would be over $22.00 dollars an hour.
Medium income in the state of Iowa last year was $58,570 in 2017, so the average family is trying to live and raise a family on $4,900 a month, before taxes. And most business today are paying less and less for insurance each year.
How many people do you do know that are living on one income households, and how are they doing? Today both people are working, and hoping to get along, or are struggling.
And you can talk about record unemployment all you want, but for many Americans, they are working harder, longer hours and their paycheck struggles to pay all the bills.

If you can't control the income, at least pay attention to the out-flow.

I'm one of the arrogant 5-10% that don't have to "worry" about money but that's from working my entire life, enlisting in the USAF, and being reasonably practical with my money.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You can tell this board is populated mostly by college-educated professionals, many of us with postgraduate degrees. When we talk about opportunity for the youth of America, we are talking mostly about our children or ourselves who, again, attended college and ascribe our success to that path in life, either from what we learned in school (what most others in here would say) or the good jobs we were able to secure from it (more my argument).

The simple fact is, though, that puts us among the elite of our society and firmly in the professional class. Roughly 1/3rd of the country has a college degree. So what is the situation with the rest of us? The other 2/3rds? And before you say, "They should go to college, too," I do not think that is a truly serious response. I doubt even the most ardent supporters of such an idea would suggest that 100% college graduation rates would mean that 100% of jobs were suddenly those of white-collar professionals, and, if college is done right, not everybody is going to have the cognitive or organizational skills to do it. It is supposed to be hard to graduate.

For the remainder, having a functional K-12 (or even more importantly, K-6 and preschool) system is going to matter way more. I tend to think that teenagers are already going to be what they are going to be. Most human capital is formed early in life at home and in your early schooling. Access to college is not what this population needs -- they need literacy and numeracy and access to trades and job placements. I find it interesting our discussions always converge about people fighting it out towards the top, rather than lifting those towards the bottom.

There were not many people I went to high school with who did not go to college that I feel would have been well-served by it. Heck, there were a lot that did and failed out after a semester. There were a lot that could have been well-served by finding a decent job or apprentice program after high school and getting on the right track in life, however.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I do think it’s important to find a job you enjoy versus just slogging along every day watching the clock.

The key is to pick a career that provides you the time and money to do the things you love.

Or find and work a job that gives you experience and pays the bills while sorting out what your "passion" is. It's not nearly as soul-sucking as you'd think.

Work is work - no small jobs, just small people.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
At the end of the day.........Life is tough and it isn't for the faint of heart. It isn't all lollipops and puppy dogs. Like my grandfather used to say. There are only two things you are entitled to in this world, "Breathing and sh***ing...... and that is only if you eat enough."

What helps make it more bearable are those closest to you (Family - can't choose these, friends - choose these wisely), being comfortable / confident / in love with with who you are, what you are doing, and where you are going- not giving a hoot for what others are doing. Having said all of that, you are still going to screw up, make bad decisions, and if you live long enough, life is going to test you, knock you down, throw you curveballs and knuckleballs, that you could never imagine. How you choose to respond speaks volumes about you as a person, and your character. Don't fear mistakes. Some will say that if you aren't screwing up, you aren't stretching yourself and your capabilities enough. The key, if you can help it, is to avoid the "Oh, sh**!" mistakes. This thread's topic can easily be one of those mistakes that you can pay for (literally and figuratively) for a very long, long time.

Where I believe education is valuable comes in is helping get you in the habit of learning and learning how to learn. These are valuable lifelong skills and bell weathers for prosperity in a capitalist society. There are many ways to skin this cat and it doesn't mean you have to end up six figures in the hole to do it. As an employer, the days of doing the same thing 1000 times a work day are over (hired from the neck down). Employers need problem solvers and employees that can think and figure things out (hired from the neck up). Being able to pick up and figure things out is a valuable life skill that translates into the workplace and employers will pay up for.

You should do "positive phrase of the day" toilet paper!

Those are all platitudes and I'm good with it. I'm trying to take advantage of opportunities I DO have, not ***** about opportunities I think I'm owed.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Sure its a malicious and bad faith comparison, just like you saying "you do not go to college, and you can learn it on the job".
The fact is your wife would not be allowed to do a residency, or fellow learning, if she had first not achieved an undergraduate degree and then attended and graduate from med school.
Whether is fair or not really does not matter, those are the rules, and we are not the ones that get to change them.

I'm not sure - are you saying doctors, lawyers, engineers, CPAs, SHOULDN'T have to go to school?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I love the prescient colloquialisms from the bootstrap crowd in this thread.

The only thing my great grandpa used to tell me was “go get my licorice you little ****” and “tell your grandma to make me a sandwich” and “do I look like a gum ball machine? Go ask your mommy for candy”

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Your point was not backed up by any evidence or facts. Just your opinion. Asking me to refute it is like asking me to refute the assertion there are leprechauns.

I have not denied you learn on the job. Here is your argument though.

1) you learn a lot of stuff on the job you didn't learn in school
2) what you learn in school is useless
2) therefore what you learned in school is useless and education isn't needed nor are certificates

You accuse someone of begging the question when that is exactly what you did.
I am an attorney and the information I learned in law school wasn't useless. Far from it. I would say it it was essential to me in order to be able to perform my job competently.

Nobody becomes an a$$hole through OJT. It usually takes an average law school to bring those traits out in full... ;)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I love the prescient colloquialisms from the bootstrap crowd in this thread.

The only thing my great grandpa used to tell me was “go get my licorice you little ****” and “tell your grandma to make me a sandwich” and “do I look like a gum ball machine? Go ask your mommy for candy”

Great lessons - he made you provide for yourself and helped you identify another avenue with which to procure candy. Genius!

• Funny
Reactions: bos and flycy