NBA: ***Official 2019 NBA Playoffs Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My first thought was maybe a team like Memphis, Minnesota takes back the last year of Parsons deal. If Memphis is planning on moving Conley, they'll have a super clean cap after next summer. Take on the Wiggins max while Morant and Jackson are on rookie deals. They probably aren't going to have max type free agents lining up to play there, so basically taking him on for nothing. But still, you'd have to have some confidence that there's at least a borderline all-star type of player in there for that to a worthwhile gamble.

Right, and you'd also have to worry about a volume scorer like Wiggins sucking up a lot of oxygen in the offense. Seems counterproductive if you're trying to develop young players.

I just don't know where he fits - I know he's only 23 and an elite athlete, but he's also an inefficient scorer who doesn't rebound or defend well on a max deal. There's just not much to like, especially with the albatross contract.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Right, and you'd also have to worry about a volume scorer like Wiggins sucking up a lot of oxygen in the offense. Seems counterproductive if you're trying to develop young players.

I just don't know where he fits - I know he's only 23 and an elite athlete, but he's also an inefficient scorer who doesn't rebound or defend well on a max deal. There's just not much to like, especially with the albatross contract.

Wiggins for John Wall? Minnesota bets on a pg that depends on his speed and quickness coming back from an achilles injury to be a productive player worth at least half of his monster deal. Washington hopes Wiggins needs a change of scenery or else starts the process of going from Wall's gigantic deal to Wiggins' slightly less huge contract, try to flip that for another bad, but slightly less worse than Wiggins' deal and so on and on to create cap space as soon as they can.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Salbatross

Salary + Albatross

= Salbatross

Somebody overpaid to the point they hurt their whole organization.

Reactions: Peter

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wiggins for John Wall? Minnesota bets on a pg that depends on his speed and quickness coming back from an achilles injury to be a productive player worth at least half of his monster deal. Washington hopes Wiggins needs a change of scenery or else starts the process of going from Wall's gigantic deal to Wiggins' slightly less huge contract, try to flip that for another bad, but slightly less worse than Wiggins' deal and so on and on to create cap space as soon as they can.

Yeah, maybe. If Grunfeld was still in charge I think the deal might already be done. I don't know. The problem is that if you take on a bad contract you presumably are looking to completely bottom out and start over. And for all his warts Wiggins is still capable of giving you 20 per game (mostly empty calories, but still). He doesn't make a team a playoff contender but he might be just productive enough to keep a team from falling into top three pick range.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Sounds like big problems in Houston.

Chris Paul and James Hardin hate each other but Paul has three years and 121 million dollars left on his contract.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-re...hris-paul-termed-unsalvageable-200951028.html

The delicate relationship between Houston Rockets stars James Harden and Chris Paul has been termed “unsalvageable” and the star players want a divorce, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Paul went to Rockets management and demanded a trade, and Harden issued a “him or me” edict following the Rockets’ second-round loss to the Golden State Warriors, sources said.

The backcourt mates went nearly two months without speaking to each other during the season, sources said, creating a tenuous environment for teammates and everyone involved with the franchise.

Harden hasn’t returned Paul’s repeated attempts at communicating this offseason, sources said, after a year in which the pair repeatedly got under each other’s skin with petty acts in practices and games.

Paul has been known to clash with teammates during his career, most notably with the Los Angeles Clippers before being traded to Houston in the summer of 2017. Up until this season, his production ranked among the best at his position in NBA history, but he’s had to curtail his style while acclimating to Harden’s pace.

“There’s no respect at all, on either side,” a source told Yahoo Sports. “They need to get away from one another. Chris doesn’t respect James’ standing in the league, and James doesn’t respect the work Chris has put in to this point.”

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If Horford and Kawhi end up with the Clippers, does that make them title favorites?

Maybe. Would they be able to keep Beverly and/or Galinari if they signed those two? Even if they couldn't that's a pretty good rotation - good enough to comply with Kawhi's load management program in the regular season and still stay afloat in the West.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Maybe. Would they be able to keep Beverly and/or Galinari if they signed those two? Even if they couldn't that's a pretty good rotation - good enough to comply with Kawhi's load management program in the regular season and still stay afloat in the West.

Not both. But they can get enough room for both Horford and Leonard with some pretty easy moves and keep Gallo, or they can have room to bring back Beverly if they move him, which shouldn't be hard as his deal expires after this year.

Also saw that the Nets are supposedly looking to move Joe Harris. Which should be super easy as he's a great shooter with a very reasonable deal, but that would give them room for the full 35% max deal which would really only apply to Durant.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Not both. But they can get enough room for both Horford and Leonard with some pretty easy moves and keep Gallo, or they can have room to bring back Beverly if they move him, which shouldn't be hard as his deal expires after this year.

Also saw that the Nets are supposedly looking to move Joe Harris. Which should be super easy as he's a great shooter with a very reasonable deal, but that would give them room for the full 35% max deal which would really only apply to Durant.

I think if I could only keep one I'd move Beverly and try to hang on to Gallo for his shooting. So you'd have a starting five of SGA, Shamet, Kawhi, Gallo, and Horford with Lou WIlliams, Harrell, and a couple randos off the bench. That's pretty good.

• Agree
Reactions: CyArob and Dandy

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think if I could only keep one I'd move Beverly and try to hang on to Gallo for his shooting. So you'd have a starting five of SGA, Shamet, Kawhi, Gallo, and Horford with Lou WIlliams, Harrell, and a couple randos off the bench. That's pretty good.

Yeah it's real solid, a little light on wing depth, try to get Ariza or another ring chasing vet real cheap and I think you're set. The back end of any Horford deal might not be great but this gives you a great shot next year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron