THT Going into the Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's a real shame if he doesn't get drafted 1st round. He definitely could have benefited from another year and development. He's so young if he would have killed it next year he might have been a lottery pick. I understand Wigginton going. There is probably nothing short of being a first team all American that would have gotten him a 1st round pick. THT is different IMO.

Both guys would have benefited from another year.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I don't feel sorry for the kids that leave early and go undrafted. There are enough examples and data points out there which should give you a pretty good indication on where you stand. Everyone says so and so got bad advice but I quit buying that excuse. I wish our former players the best of luck but if you are going to leave early do your homework.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It's a real shame if he doesn't get drafted 1st round. He definitely could have benefited from another year and development. He's so young if he would have killed it next year he might have been a lottery pick. I understand Wigginton going. There is probably nothing short of being a first team all American that would have gotten him a 1st round pick. THT is different IMO.

If THT is picked #36 as in the mock he'll get a guaranteed contract and will get a very good chance to make a roster.

I have a hard time faulting anyone who will be drafted to sit, especially after watching the NBA finals with the injuries to Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant.

While Lindell's wasn't quite as serious as those two examples we saw a team exaple that that you can lower your stock as much as you can raise it due to an injury by assuming the risk of another year not getting paid in college.

Edit.
With the talk about THT Lindell and Cam now being an early 2nd round picks to undrafted the Trier news shows it isn't the end of the world. Obviously better to be in the 1st to get the guaranteed contract day one but very possible to get that early, especially with the team drafting him knowing he's a developmental prospect.

@ShamsCharania The New York Knicks have exercised guard Allonzo Trier's $3.5M team option for the 2019-20 season, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

@Sam_Vecenie With the Knicks exercising the option, Allonzo Trier will now make basically the equivalent of the No. 12 overall pick in the 2018 draft over his first two years, then will get to be a restricted free agent.

Pretty good outcome for the undrafted player.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
THT is a prime candidate to be signed and sent down to G league to develop. I hope he makes a roster but see him going more the Niang/Morris route. Which is not a bad thing for him. Gives him some money and time to develop and become a good NBA player and make some money. Hope it works out. I think Wigginton will end up being a superstar in Europe type guy. Much like WIll Clyburn who just won the league or finals MVP. Can't remember which. Even so Will is making some good coin and having a blast over there.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
To those who follow the NBA draft...why is THT falling? Some on this site were positive he would be a first round pick and claimed that teams told him they would draft him in the first round. I guess it only takes one team to fall in love with him but I went through 5 or 6 mocks last night and didn't see him within 5 picks of the first round. The draft analysts aren't as confident about THT in the first round as some on this site have been...anyway...what has the knock been on him since the date he announced? What changed about him since being mocked in the middle of the first round to now being early to mid second round in many projections.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
So in other words he would rather go play in front of 500 fans at Wells Fargo Arena than play in front of 15,000 and win Big 12 championships? Seems like a sound decision on his part to me.

oh yeah money, Don't have to attend school, Play with better players and develop. Yeah playing in front of fans is fun but it does not Trump a bunch of money and not having to attend class.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Honestly, I'm at the point where I don't feel sorry for the kids that leave early and go undrafted. There are enough examples and data points out there which should give you a pretty good indication on where you stand. Everyone says so and so got bad advice but I quit buying that excuse. I wish our former players the best of luck but if you are going to leave early do your homework.
I agree with you 100%. Maybe THT was leaving even if he knew he was a 2nd rounder. Seems silly but may be the case. He may have left a lot of money on the table but who knows? His clock gets to start a year early.

He will be fine, barring injury, either way.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
To those who follow the NBA draft...why is THT falling? Some on this site were positive he would be a first round pick and claimed that teams told him they would draft him in the first round. I guess it only takes one team to fall in love with him but I went through 5 or 6 mocks last night and didn't see him within 5 picks of the first round. The draft analysts aren't as confident about THT in the first round as some on this site have been...anyway...what has the knock been on him since the date he announced? What changed about him since being mocked in the middle of the first round to now being early to mid second round in many projections.

I would guess predraft workouts are one factor. Players probably move up or down based on how well they work out for teams. Maybe his have gone poorly or other players have moved up and bumped him down a bit, or maybe both. I haven't seen any mock that has him falling to the middle of the second round, but I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if he lands somewhere between pick #28 and #40. He's just such an interesting prospect because there isn't really an NBA comp for his body and game, and he's still just a kid. Hard to know for sure what the upside is for him given a year or two to develop a bit.

Reactions: cyfanatic

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I agree with you 100%. Maybe THT was leaving even if he knew he was a 2nd rounder. Seems silly but may be the case. He may have left a lot of money on the table but who knows? His clock gets to start a year early.

He will be fine, barring injury, either way.

Yeah, THT will be fine. I still think he is in a better position than what all of the so called "experts" are predicting.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
I’ve been a Cyclone fan for 50 years and a season ticket holder for 13. We’ve all seen some of the best basketball players in college play in Hilton. I’m certainly no expert on what it takes to make the NBA but in my opinion THT was just another real good player but not freakish in any manner. He barely shot at a 40% clip, 30% from 3, and really not a very good free throw shooter. In my opinion his shot selection at times was simply awful.

Is he athletic? Very much so. Seems like a good guy but didn’t project himself as a total team player. I’m probably wrong but I feel there were stretches in games where he was more about himself than Iowa State. I’m sorry to see him go, no doubt....but I don’t think he will me missed as much as we tend to think he will be. Coach Prohm to me looks like he builds squads around “team” concept. Much like Coach Campbell. THT was a heck of a player but there’s hundreds of those guys out there. In order to succeed at next level I think you need the other attributes to separate yourself from others. I don’t see that in him. Very sincerely, I hope I’m wrong.

Bottom line is give me a George Niang any day.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't pay attention to mock drafts. Click bait. Some are clearly more accurate than others but good drafters of talent don't share valid information.

I also think the teams use media sources to their advantage pre-draft, especially outside of the top few picks that may be obvious. A team that might love THT at the end of the draft isn’t going to tell gary Parrish or whoever how much they love him and Telegraph the pick.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I also think the teams use media sources to their advantage pre-draft, especially outside of the top few picks that may be obvious. A team that might love THT at the end of the draft isn’t going to tell gary Parrish or whoever how much they love him and Telegraph the pick.
Correct. There is literally nothing in it for teams to be honest with these guys. Of course, there are probably leaks but is it a leak of good information or mis-information? Mock drafts are BS.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Well the other thing that made him drop was the fact that when he declared. He did it early. So the list of guys declaring was small. Now that everyone else has declared they moved him down the list.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So in other words he would rather go play in front of 500 fans at Wells Fargo Arena than play in front of 15,000 and win Big 12 championships? Seems like a sound decision on his part to me.
Also play more games in the g-league. Play with more polished talent as well.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I wouldn't pay too much attention to mock drafts, especially the end of the first and the second round. They are just a guessing game and are generally not correct.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I wouldn't pay too much attention to mock drafts, especially the end of the first and the second round. They are just a guessing game and are generally not correct.
yeah, and to that point, 1 or 2 selections can completely change the outcome of the draft because there are so few picks and numerous things teams are usually looking for. If their #1 gets snagged unexpectedly, they have to scramble and it pushes everything down/makes teams re-evaluate who they can/should take where.

The NBA draft has always been the most enjoyable for me due to the constant changing, the usually very busy front office rooms, and the quickness/simplicity of it.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

I'm 95% certain Wigginton knew there was a very good chance that he would not be drafted, but he decided to leave early despite that.

Everybody talks about people (agents) telling these guys that they will be a first rounders. I don't think that's the case near as much as you think. The whole idea of letting the players declare, then be evaluated, and given information from NBA scouts as to their draft possibilities, is to give them an honest assessment.

When, or if, Wigginton went through this process, there's no way he got told that there's a better than 50% chance you get drafted, and more likely the opposite. But he had still decided he wanted to turn pro. Some kids just don't want to be in college, and that's fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Knownothing