***Official USMNT Thread***

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
That doesn't happen until they are older though. Right now my kid plays Rush Academy (9U) and it's like the same price per season as Little League, which nobody complains about. I think the pay to play is super overblown.

It’s not. Thinking like that means it will never end. You’re talking about the Des Moines market cost anyway, and no US soccer player is ever going to come out of there.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
It’s not. Thinking like that means it will never end. You’re talking about the Des Moines market cost anyway, and no US soccer player is ever going to come out of there.
A Bosnian player came out of Des Moines, so that's something I guess...

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Agreed. There are a few clubs in KC that offer "scholarships" to kids from poorer upbringings, but it is definitely a pay-to-play sport. For being an ethnically diverse country, we do a really ****** job being inclusive in youth sports.

One recent development I've seen is that a couple of independent teams have gotten corporate sponsors for some of the Mexican youth in the area. It takes initiative to get these going, but I'd love to see that trend increase. Unfortunately, the larger clubs in the area still dominate a majority of the talent and have a monopoly on quality practice space.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Christian Pulisic: grew up in a European system. Properly brought up through the youths and in to the first team at a club that values youth and development in one of the best leagues in the world.

Large group of players: grow up in mls acadamies then go on to the mls team and play against poor competition with poor coaching and sit behind aging former stars that don’t give a **** about anything except living in LA and getting their check that is 100X bigger than everyone elses. May eventually go to a Championship side in England that has no goal other than making it to the top flight and can’t afford to lose any points so there is no emphasis on development.

Some other players: grow up in US club system and then eventually go back to Mexico and play against poor competition and get poor coaching with the goal of coming to MLS on a non minimum contract.

Small group of players: have name recognition young and then go to a giant club like psg or Barca as a kid and get lost in the shuffle and then progressively make their way around Europe to lesser and lesser leagues not getting any development or solidifying a place at a club.

On top of all this is the real problem of MLS and the fed working in unison to underhandedly get preference for MLS based players getting in to the NT which really stymies players from taking a chance and going to a good developmental club in Germany or France or any number of countries that value development and youth. As long as the easiest path to the NT is through MLS and MLS continues to be what it is then we will not be good.

End rant.
MLS is both the problem and the solution with the national team. The problem is that MLS teams like to throw money at the Altidores and the Bradleys, while also bringing in foreign DP's at attacking positions the US is traditionally weak at. MLS academies ARE apart of the solution, and we're already seeing the fruits of that at youth levels, and seeing a shift in mindset from MLS clubs on the whole. Talented American youth are going to MLS academies now, and the the cream are going to Europe from those academies with few exceptions. Gloster, Soto, Sargent, Richards, McKennie and even Pulisic grew up in MLS or DA system academies before making the jump to Europe. Adams thrived in MLS before going to Europe, as will Paxton Pomykal. Players of lesser talent will remain in MLS, or go to Liga MX or what have you, but those players will be in the fringes of the national team moving forward.

Clearly the national team values players that succeed in Europe, there just aren't enough of them at the moment. There's no conspiracy to choose MLS players. There's probably nepotism in the leadership and bias towards players they're familiar with (poor Danny Williams) but the main reason there's so many subpar MLS players in the national team right now is because there aren't enough good players in the pool, period. If there were 20 more Pulisics, McKennies, Adams, Brooks, Yedlins and Miazgas out there, guys like Wil Trapp would only be around for January camp. But since there are only a handful of quality players (I named them all), this is what we get. Gregg bringing Tyler Boyd and Duane Holmes into the team shows he knows he needs more talent in this pool.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
MLS needs to accept being a selling league, especially for young players. They need to see it as an accomplishment to sell a youngster to Europe. Not just take kids hostage and see them as a cheap way to fill out the bottom of the roster.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneWanderer

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Well what's the solution then?

The entire structure of US soccer is doomed to failure. There is no bright horizon. It’s just systematic, too many people protecting their $ fiefdoms. Everyone knows it. US soccer would have to create leagues all over the country and not charge kids, so it wouldn’t be exclusive but rather inclusive.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Well what's the solution then?

Parents need to send their kids to Europe when they are 14 or 15 instead of sending them down the street to Houston dynamo academy if they are serious about being a professional and show proficiency.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
That doesn't happen until they are older though. Right now my kid plays Rush Academy (9U) and it's like the same price per season as Little League, which nobody complains about. I think the pay to play is super overblown.

Wait until your kid is 11U then the price increase is massive..

• Agree
Reactions: isu_oak

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Wrong.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Wait until your kid is 11U then the price increase is massive..

Ya but how much does it cost? Just tuition. The travel cost doesn’t count for me because even if it was free tuition you still have to travel for tournaments or you won’t get better.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Something to note Weah is rumored to be on the move to Lille for 10 million

Also it's rumored that PSV is also in the race to sign Sebastian Soto and Chris Glouster along with BVB. There's already an American at their 2nd team in Richie Ledezma

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Parents need to send their kids to Europe when they are 14 or 15 instead of sending them down the street to Houston dynamo academy if they are serious about being a professional and show proficiency.

It’s not this easy though for an overwhelming majority of US talent. In general unless you are in a position to obtain a European passport, you can’t make the move to Europe until you are 18. Pulisic could go earlier because he was able to obtain a Croatian passport through his grandparents heritage.

If you come from a family that has multi-generational roots in the US, you don’t really have a choice in your early teen years. You’re going to be in a traditional club setting or with an MLS academy.

• Informative
Reactions: AlaCyclone

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Let's face it.... time to stop caring about the men's team.... everyone jump on board with a winner... the women's team.

Hey, buddy, here's the reality. The Women's team play just like the men's team, it will happen at this world cup.

Everyone's getting priced out of proper training, meaning a much shallower pool, hell we're screwed once the current ladies are gone I think and then people who don't pay attention will be very, very confused. (It's why I cringe at the equal pay thing a bit because people don't realize what's going on, I'm fine with and think there should be equal pay but it doesn't feel like people are actually paying attention to what the sport is to the working class and how it's being locked out of the sport, if it was happening to Football or Basketball there would've been a fix to it by now.)

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
This slid under the radar a bit but should be noted.

A FIFA Panel has ruled that USSF must ensure that Premiere Crossfire recieves a solidarity payment for DeAndre Yedlin (MLS recently approved solidarity payments this year, it's been left off the table until recently because the MLS Players union didn't want it because it meant less money)

EDIT: MLS owes Crossfire $100,000

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

knightxc

Sep 5, 2014
MN
Going to the game tomorrow night....i swear if this team does not beat Guyana we need a full revolt against the USSF. This federation is the worst!!!

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Berhalter explained why Sargent was excluded from the GC roster

According to Ives Galarcep of GOAL.com

Still kinda dumb but at least we got an explanation

Zardes shouldn't be ahead of anyone.

I hate this team. I was kinda excited to see some sort of starting 11 with Weston, Adams, Pulisic and Holmes. Now I'm gonna watch CP get fouled relentlessly, Zardes play balls off his shin guards, Arriola run around with no point and probably Trapp get beat and give up space to guys playing in the 2nd division of the Trinidad league. Can't Wait.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Zardes shouldn't be ahead of anyone.

I hate this team. I was kinda excited to see some sort of starting 11 with Weston, Adams, Pulisic and Holmes. Now I'm gonna watch CP get fouled relentlessly, Zardes play balls off his shin guards, Arriola run around with no point and probably Trapp get beat and give up space to guys playing in the 2nd division of the Trinidad league. Can't Wait.

It’s going to be great.