Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You have 13 agrees and zero of anything else. Great unpopular take.
Lol. Fair enough. Maybe it wasn't the controversial opinion I thought it was.

• Friendly
Reactions: Doc

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No doubt, it was a blast in college.

From the perspective of an outsider though, I could see how they could perceive it as a dump with not many options for dining, bars, etc.

I agree that it doesn't look like much (or didn't anyhow), but I've been to much less lively and entertaining college neighborhoods that were much nicer in a traditional sense. Boulder is the prime example. Boulder has a beautiful downtown and that great college feel, but it's just freaking dead at night.

Ames has always been a little hindered by having downtown and Canpustown so far apart. Combine what the two have to offer, and it's quite nice.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
1. Busch Light is disgusting.

I can understand not choosing Busch Light, or even not enjoying it, but I can't really understand thinking it's disgusting. I don't think there's enough flavor to it to have such a strong negative opinion.

Buuuut, I guess that's why they call it an unpopular take..

• Agree
Reactions: HGoat1

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I agree that it doesn't look like much (or didn't anyhow), but I've been to much less lively and entertaining college neighborhoods that were much nicer in a traditional sense. Boulder is the prime example. Boulder has a beautiful downtown and that great college feel, but it's just freaking dead at night.

Ames has always been a little hindered by having downtown and Canpustown so far apart. Combine what the two have to offer, and it's quite nice.

True on the second point. Though I'm sure some of the townies don't mind being away from the college bars.

I had a blast in Aggieville down in Manhattan, not quite as much on Mass St. in Lawrence but still had fun and enjoyed all the options. When I say Campustown is lacking, I think of those two and it could have potential to have a similar atmosphere to Aggieville at minimum.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Dustin Hogue went for 30+ points and we lost.

But sure, we were a national title with team Georges :rolleyes:

Hogue had an offensive rating of 146 in that game.

If that was not enough (and UConn going 9/19 for 47.4% did not help) to win, I am not sure what more you could really expect out of the front court.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The first time I was in Lawrence I ripped a J and then had such a hard time peeing I ended up peeing on somebody’s house rather than in a urinal.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Because it doesn't really matter. Look at Penn State. You can't get more dominant than they have been of late. And what has it gotten them? Some token national press when they win the championship every year? That's about it. Last time I did the research a couple years ago, their wrestling program was still losing money. It's an afterthought. A nice "...and don't forget about wrestling!" for fans to bring up when discussing the state of athletics at the school. If that's the pinnacle of achievement in the sport, today, it's not worth putting a lot of time, money, or effort into, imho.

All sports at all schools outside of football, MBB, and at a couple schools, WBB lose money. What’s your point? That no sports other than profitable ones matter?

Those other sports give opportunities to young men and women that a lot wouldn’t get otherwise, the provide eyeballs and interest in the programs which extends to the university as a whole. But most importantly, they all represent the institution we all love, so I will never talk bad about or look down on any of programs we offer. And shame on anyone who does.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
True on the second point. Though I'm sure some of the townies don't mind being away from the college bars.

I had a blast in Aggieville down in Manhattan, not quite as much on Mass St. in Lawrence but still had fun and enjoyed all the options. When I say Campustown is lacking, I think of those two and it could have potential to have a similar atmosphere to Aggieville at minimum.

I like Aggieville a lot. It's basically a cleaned up version of Campustown, and I would agree it's baffling that Campustown is so slow to gussy itself up to that standard. However, I think it's pretty much there. The last time I was in Campustown, there wasn't much difference between it and Aggieville, unless Aggieville has changed since my last visit.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I like Aggieville a lot. It's basically a cleaned up version of Campustown, and I would agree it's baffling that Campustown is so slow to gussy itself up to that standard. However, I think it's pretty much there. The last time I was in Campustown, there wasn't much difference between it and Aggieville, unless Aggieville has changed since my last visit.

Campustown is getting there. I'm excited to see how it looks after they complete the streetscape project between Lincoln and Chamberlain.