RECRUITING INSIDER: Rasir Bolton decision coming soon (commits!)

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
This x1000.

LOL, our fans are just so damn touchy/clingy/whiny - whatever you want to call it. If Bolton commits and is eligible right away, it's a solid spring. It's not an incredible-omg-blow-your-load-over-everything spring, it's a solid spring. And that's fine. Nothing at all wrong with a solid spring. A couple years ago, the spring brought in Beverly, Brase, and missed out on key guys like Juiston. That spring was a sub-par spring. Factually, objectively sub-par. People who expressed concerned then were correct to express concern. Signing Bolton this week doesn't change the facts of history. What signing Bolton does do is completes a solid spring effort from the staff. Not "amazing". Not "incredible". Just realistically, objectively solid.

This is a solid post.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think you could argue getting Tucker or Gilder or one of the more sought after GT to go with an eligible Bolton would have been better than Grill/Bolton/Johnson but it seems like Prohm was looking for a HS/Sit out/eligible guy from the get go. Taking that in to account, I'd give a class with Bolton an A.

The really nice thing about Bolton is, he fills the gap left by the two early departures, a gap that would cover multiple seasons. It also sets things up perfect for 20-21 and beyond. Barring something out of the ordinary happening next year, Prohm should bring back at minimum, 4/5 starters for 20-21, that's with Solo and some younger guys with potential at PG and on the wing in mix as well. Perfect fit for Foster and Carlson.

Tucker has "will he graduate or go pro" concerns and only "proved it" at UALR. Gilder has injury concerns, though it appears that he is now healthy. Both of them would be one-year rentals, and Bolton could be here as much as the next three years.

Bolton is definitely the volume scorer we need from the 2-3 spot and proved it at a high-major level. I know we like to rag on the Big Ten here, but that conference was really good last year, too. Penn State finished #32 on Bart Torvik and #43 on KenPom, so while it was not a great team, it was at least a decent one. It was parallel in the computer rankings with teams like Oklahoma, Oregon, Syracuse, and Baylor who all made the tournament.

I think there's a case that Tucker or Gilder would have higher upsides for next year, but assuming Bolton is immediately eligible, I do not see there being much of a drop-off from the graduate transfer guys down to Bolton. Bolton could be a starter for the next 2-3 years in Ames, too, which automatically makes him a better long-term play.

I think James Kane was the one that targeted Johnson. He is the same one who found Ja Morant at Murray so I trust his talent evaluation.

Yeah, I thought the story was that Kane wanted Johnson at Murray (or whichever place fits the timing of his career) and did not end up with him. If Kane thinks he sees something there, and a guy with Shayok size who hit 40%+ from three as a freshman is definitely something, then I trust Kane and Prohm on that one. I know he was not very good at Troy, but I doubt he had the coaching and system to make him shine like he will in Ames. Another year to practice, mold him, and get better could turn him into a really nice piece. I remember some SEC schools, like South Carolina, started sniffing around him towards the end, too, so the fact we targeted him early and locked him down before the competition came in feels good.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
This x1000.

LOL, our fans are just so damn touchy/clingy/whiny - whatever you want to call it. If Bolton commits and is eligible right away, it's a solid spring. It's not an incredible-omg-blow-your-load-over-everything spring, it's a solid spring. And that's fine. Nothing at all wrong with a solid spring. A couple years ago, the spring brought in Beverly, Brase, and missed out on key guys like Juiston. That spring was a sub-par spring. Factually, objectively sub-par. People who expressed concerned then were correct to express concern. Signing Bolton this week doesn't change the facts of history. What signing Bolton does do is completes a solid spring effort from the staff. Not "amazing". Not "incredible". Just realistically, objectively solid.

Funny how you left out Shayok and Jacobsen.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
So with Cumberland returning to Cinncy (PG tweeted yesterday withdrawing his name) and with Wigg's saying officially he is not withdrawing his name, sure seems like he will be coming to ISU

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I've been told I have an incredible post...
tenor.gif

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Anyone worried that Bolton transferred to 4 or 5 different high schools and now is transferring one year after being at Penn State? Kind of makes me a little nervous. Then again if he bolts we can always find a new guy.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Anyone worried that Bolton transferred to 4 or 5 different high schools and now is transferring one year after being at Penn State? Kind of makes me a little nervous. Then again if he bolts we can always find a new guy.
Transfers are the new normal. Players have been empowered to take more ownership of their playing careers. There's good and bad that comes with that. People don't have to like it, but ignore it at your own risk.